Bobby_2021

Programming Language that aligns with my values.

40 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, OBEler said:

I can see that AI will make coding obsolete,

Nah. Not the slightest chance in the world. AI will create even more jobs by having people fix all the shitty code and vulnerabilities it may produce. But I can see how coding will no longer be the cool job that it used to be. 

Anyway I am not counting on any possibilities.

4 minutes ago, Bobby_2021 said:

Nah. Not the slightest chance in the world. AI will create even more jobs by having people fix all the shitty code and vulnerabilities it may produce. But I can see how coding will no longer be the cool job that it used to be. 

Anyway I am not counting on any possibilities.

I see you are not working as a full time programmer. ChatGPT already reduces my coding time by 30%. It produces acceptable code. If you let it correct itself it writes as good as a senior developer.

It's not far outside to think that AI will replace coding completely.

@OBEler What do you code with C#?

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

20 minutes ago, OBEler said:

I see you are not working as a full time programmer. ChatGPT already reduces my coding time by 30%. It produces acceptable code. If you let it correct itself it writes as good as a senior developer.

It's not far outside to think that AI will replace coding completely.

Oh cool. It makes you 30% faster.

It's a big leap from that to making coding obsolete. I never denied using AI as a nice helper. But that's kind of it.

There will not be a gpt5 which is going to reduce the time you code by 60%. That's not going to happen. We have maxed out the capabilities of AI for the moment. Any jobs that should have lost now to AI have already been lost. 

Posted (edited)

The Nvidia CEO recently said that their goal is to make programming obsolete.

Nvidia is not fucking around.

Edited by Leo Gura

3 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

I will believe them when they stop conducting 7 rounds of interviews to hire software Engineers for their own company. :D 

All of this is to build hype to pull in more investments. Just empty words and more emotionally charged statements. Lulz.

It's always they are going to replace engineers. When are they going to finally do it? 😄Wake me up when it's done. 

Posted (edited)

51 minutes ago, Bobby_2021 said:

when they stop conducting 7 rounds of interviews to hire software Engineers for their own company

The AI gods require human sacrifices.

Engineers make for good snacks.

;)

Edited by Leo Gura

Coding something is ironically not about coding. It's about knowing that "something".  

Which is something that only a human can do. Coding the solution for quick sort is knowing how to sort something first. And that's where AI will struggle amd produce shitty code if you are not careful with the requirements.

You might as well code it right away in a pro language like Rust. Coding is the easy part. Which AI can do. But there is a lot that goes behind it like that iceberg meme. That's something AI can't do. 

Replace programming with design.

Posted (edited)

Wasn't AI an impossible thing a few years ago? Companies are already working on integrating AI into the workplace. An immediate replacement won't happen. It'll be gradual. People will have jobs, but they'll be more managerial and/or creative, I guess. Companies that value people's lives will train them to have the necessary skills to keep working for them. But these companies are rare.

Edited by Nemra

Posted (edited)

51 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

What should I, as a basic programmer making a living with coding, do? :D 

And there are so many just like me

Edited by bazera

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

@OBEler What do you code with C#?

I am today a full stack software developer for desktop and web applications which are used by banks and insurance companies (financial accounting). Before that I was working also as a c# developer for a biotech company on some laboratory robotic devices for automation. Interesting jobs but I look for something more meaningful.

8 minutes ago, bazera said:

What should I, as a basic programmer making a living with coding, do? :D 

And there are so many just like me

Add AI to your design pipeline. Stop thinking of yourself as a code monkey but as a software designer.

3 minutes ago, OBEler said:

I am today a full stack software developer for desktop and web applications which are used by banks and insurance companies (financial accounting). Before that I was working also as a c# developer for a biotech company on some laboratory robotic devices for automation. Interesting jobs but I look for something more meaningful.

Cool

3 hours ago, Bobby_2021 said:

Oh cool. It makes you 30% faster.

It's a big leap from that to making coding obsolete. I never denied using AI as a nice helper. But that's kind of it.

There will not be a gpt5 which is going to reduce the time you code by 60%. That's not going to happen. We have maxed out the capabilities of AI for the moment. Any jobs that should have lost now to AI have already been lost. 

There seems to be this strange delusion among programmers that AI has somehow plateaued.

There's no evidence that AI has plateaued. The current best systems use only around 1-2 trillion parameters and were trained with GPUs from 2022. What will AI look like once we have 10 trillion parameters? 100 trillion? And what about compute, you think compute is just done progressing?

Stop being so blind.

Posted (edited)

I think what would really be a game-changer is if someone invented a brand new language that integrates from the bottom up with AI. So that the AI does all the dirty work and the programmer works at a very high level, but there is zero performance loss. That is the future of programming.

@Leo Gura Python is integrated already, but slow. Mojo is a new, thousands times faster python-compatible syntactically equivalent language made specifically for AI development.

It's also compatible with existing libraries such as Nvidia's CUDA, Tensorflow, and Keras.

From their website:

Mojo combines the usability of Python with the performance of C, unlocking unparalleled programmability of AI hardware and extensibility of AI models.

Edited by Felliks

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, thenondualtankie said:

There seems to be this strange delusion among programmers that AI has somehow plateaued.

There's no evidence that AI has plateaued. The current best systems use only around 1-2 trillion parameters and were trained with GPUs from 2022. What will AI look like once we have 10 trillion parameters? 100 trillion? And what about compute, you think compute is just done progressing?

Stop being so blind.

There is no evidence to suggest that the performance or quality has a linear relationship with the number of parameters either. Only if it were that simple. 

Overfitting is a thing. You might as well use a smaller model that is trained on high quality domain specific data. The quality will ultimately depend on the code you give as input. Which we can accept has plateaued. 

7 hours ago, Nemra said:

Wasn't AI an impossible thing a few years ago?

What if I tell you that thing where you take a picture of a website and the AI spitting out the code for it was there since 2018? 

AI can excel in only well defined environments. The real world is anything but that.

AI will help you code problems where you have certainty, faster. What is certainty? If you are certain enough of the problem, you might as well code it on your own rather than input the problems to AI, go through the nightmare that is reading and understanding code and accuring technical debt while deploying the AI code to production.

In chess for example, the goal is clearly defined. So you can make excellent models to achieve a clear goal. That's is not the case in programming. 

Edited by Bobby_2021

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, Bobby_2021 said:

There is no evidence to suggest that the performance or quality has a linear relationship with the number of parameters either. Only if it were that simple. 

Overfitting is a thing. You might as well use a smaller model that is trained on high quality domain specific data. The quality will ultimately depend on the code you give as input. Which we can accept has plateaued. 

What if I tell you that thing where you take a picture of a website and the AI spitting out the code for it was there since 2018? 

AI can excel in only well defined environments. The real world is anything but that.

AI will help you code problems where you have certainty, faster. What is certainty? If you are certain enough of the problem, you might as well code it on your own rather than input the problems to AI, go through the nightmare that is reading and understanding code and accuring technical debt while deploying the AI code to production.

In chess for example, the goal is clearly defined. So you can make excellent models to achieve a clear goal. That's is not the case in programming. 

You are not a software developer. You make it too complicated.

Just copy paste the chatgpt code without reading it because that saves time, run the application and then see if it worked. In 90% of times it works. Only then (!) read the code.if it doesn't work, give ChatGPT the error message and let it correct the code. And repeat 

Edited by OBEler

Posted (edited)

27 minutes ago, OBEler said:

Just copy paste the chatgpt code without reading it because that saves time, run the application and then see if it worked. In 90% of times it works. Only then (!) read the code.if it doesn't work, give ChatGPT the error message and let it correct the code. And repeat 

Yeah this is a splendid way to accrue technical debt which you have to deal with or the dev that comes after you. 

I don't know the specific work you are doing. I am not a fan of copy pasting code and barely getting an application to work with no idea what's happening under the hood. It's just not my style. 

Anyways you do you.

Edited by Bobby_2021

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, Bobby_2021 said:

Well, I meant before 2018.

I'm not saying AI can be fully trusted to help with your projects right now. You'll have to go through it by yourself. But it's getting better and better, and trust will be built over time by using AI in your projects and, of course, by knowing its limits. It's another thing if you want to know what's happening at the lower level, which definitely can help you understand.

You don't need to always know what happens at lower levels of programming to do your job if that doesn't have a huge effect. You already have trust in that.

E.g., writing English letters is one thing, and writing sentences is another.

Edited by Nemra