Butters

How to fall asleep fast? (rhythm reset)

16 posts in this topic

Is there a way to fall asleep fast after waking up at like 12 or 2PM and you wanna reset back to 10PM - 5AM rhythm?

Maybe that sounds ridiculous but I often find myself in this situation and end up sleeping <3hrs on Monday. 

Edited by Butters

Have you tried melatonin supplements?

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

50 minutes ago, Yimpa said:

Have you tried melatonin supplements?

Not in a long time, but I heard Huberman said it was bad. Might give it another try though. 

Edited by Butters

3 minutes ago, Butters said:

Not in a long time, but I heard Huberman said it was bad. Might give it another try though. 

I would be mindful of the brand you buy it from. Heard melatonin supplements can be contaminated with serotonin, so maybe a higher quality brand tests for it more accurately, but who really knows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

2 hours ago, Butters said:

Is there a way to fall asleep fast after waking up at like 12 or 2PM and you wanna reset back to 10PM - 5AM rhythm?

Maybe that sounds ridiculous but I often find myself in this situation and end up sleeping <3hrs on Monday. 

Could you provide some more details regarding this situation?

It's not at all ridiculous, but we firstly need to determine what's causing you to wake up at this time. I have a few ideas I'm leaning towards, but could you please elaborate on the following:

1. Your overall nutrition and meal timing relative to bedtime

2. The ostensibly unique circumstances around Sunday/Monday that is preceding this scenario (something work related perhaps?)

3. Your sleep hygiene practices (i.e., blackout curtains, sleep mask, mouth tape, etc., essentially how have you already optimized for sleep?)

Try the 4-7-8 method. Breathe in for 4secs, hold breath for 7secs, exhale for 8secs. Do it at least 4x. More if needed, twice a day or just right as you're trying to sleep. It really does work. Dr. Weil recommends it. I tried it years ago when I heard about it and i think I only made it to the 3rd one before it was morning. 

Edited by Princess Arabia

There is no beginning, there is no end. There is just Simply This. 

18 hours ago, Jason Actualization said:

1. Your overall nutrition and meal timing relative to bedtime

2. The ostensibly unique circumstances around Sunday/Monday that is preceding this scenario (something work related perhaps?)

3. Your sleep hygiene practices (i.e., blackout curtains, sleep mask, mouth tape, etc., essentially how have you already optimized for sleep?)

1. Healthy, low carb right now. Usually only eat 1 or 2 meals a day and not too close to sleep. 

2. I work from home. Often times I only get 4 hours of sleep, sometimes 6, then maybe 12 or 14. On workdays I wanna wake up at 5AM or 7AM tops. But on weekends sometimes I'm out until 2AM and I just wanna sleep with no alarm. I like this variation, but then need to reset again on Monday. 

Sometimes I wake up 5AM Monday to Wednesday and then wake up 11AM on Thursday, for example. 

3. Completely blacked out room, yes. 

12 hours ago, Princess Arabia said:

Try the 4-7-8 method. Breathe in for 4secs, hold breath for 7secs, exhale for 8secs. Do it at least 4x. More if needed, twice a day or just right as you're trying to sleep. It really does work. Dr. Weil recommends it. I tried it years ago when I heard about it and i think I only made it to the 3rd one before it was morning. 

Great, I'll try that

I recommend if you're not engaging in any physical exercise you start doing do, even if it's just an hour walk.

If I am sedentary throughout my day, I don't sleep well.

Also avoid caffeine and processed crap late at night.

Avoid bright screeens.;

21 hours ago, Jason Actualization said:

I’ve never heard of mouth tape before. Can you briefly explain where you found out about this and if you personally use it?

You're not gonna like this cause it's not what you asked but the best way to shift your circadian rhythm is to wake up at the time you would if you were already on the rhythm you want & suffer through the day. You'll sleep at night no probs.

All of the night time advice you'll find online to prepare yourself for bed is all well & good but it's basically useless if you've been awake for only 7-8hrs. You need to build exhaustion to fall asleep. Ain't no way you had time to build exhaustion in 7hrs unless you are chronically sleep deprived or you've spent 6 of those 7hrs climbing a f*cking moutain at top speed.

But, if I was to go along with your context I would say work out high intensity for at least 2hrs that day & don't eat 3hrs prior to bedtime.

Edited by Rigel

Sailing on the ceiling 

10 hours ago, Butters said:

1. Healthy, low carb right now. Usually only eat 1 or 2 meals a day and not too close to sleep. 

2. I work from home. Often times I only get 4 hours of sleep, sometimes 6, then maybe 12 or 14. On workdays I wanna wake up at 5AM or 7AM tops. But on weekends sometimes I'm out until 2AM and I just wanna sleep with no alarm. I like this variation, but then need to reset again on Monday. 

Sometimes I wake up 5AM Monday to Wednesday and then wake up 11AM on Thursday, for example. 

3. Completely blacked out room, yes. 

Great, I'll try that

1. The low carb concerns me. I advise 150g as a daily minimum for men, not least because stress/cortisol related problems can arise when the liver becomes glycogen depleted. Any idea what your macronutrient split is, and, more importantly, what are your food sources?

2. My best advice is to set an alarm 30-60 minutes before you want to go to bed, and not to wake up, to allow your body to get as much sleep as is deemed necessary. You might "like" the variation, but I assure you that your body doesn't. The most valuable thing I believe you can do right now is elucidate your chronotype (in short, if you were on a deserted island in isolation, a permanent vacation of sorts, when would you naturally tend to tire and fall asleep, assuming you had no access to artificial light sources?) and to honor that as entirely as possible.

3. Excellent start, light control is paramount for deep, restorative sleep, but it's just one layer. Once we get your timing (circadian rhythm) dialed in, there are additional layers to delve into, the next one being temperature regulation.

@Jason Actualization cool, thank you!! I remember messaging Mark Burhenne like 8 years ago and he responded to me as well. Great insight and information ^_^

21 hours ago, Rigel said:

You're not gonna like this cause it's not what you asked but the best way to shift your circadian rhythm is to wake up at the time you would if you were already on the rhythm you want & suffer through the day. You'll sleep at night no probs.

I already do this but sometimes I still can't fall asleep at night after the reset day. 

But important note is I do take modafinil, especially on short sleep (reset) days. 

15 hours ago, Jason Actualization said:

1. The low carb concerns me. I advise 150g as a daily minimum for men, not least because stress/cortisol related problems can arise when the liver becomes glycogen depleted. Any idea what your macronutrient split is, and, more importantly, what are your food sources?

Hmm. I wanna do low carb cause I'm trying to lose some fat that I gained over the winter. I've also had consistent energy on low carb in the past. What I eat is full fat yoghurt, blueberries, some supermarket mixed veggies, lots of eggs, some meat and fish. Sometimes a sanwich on the go, I don't always stick to my low carb. 

15 hours ago, Jason Actualization said:

2. My best advice is to set an alarm 30-60 minutes before you want to go to bed, and not to wake up, to allow your body to get as much sleep as is deemed necessary. You might "like" the variation, but I assure you that your body doesn't. The most valuable thing I believe you can do right now is elucidate your chronotype (in short, if you were on a deserted island in isolation, a permanent vacation of sorts, when would you naturally tend to tire and fall asleep, assuming you had no access to artificial light sources?) and to honor that as entirely as possible.

Thank you. 

btw, this is the one thing that's helped me most when trying to fall asleep: 

Edited by Butters

18 hours ago, Jason Actualization said:

I got you man: 

Damn bro you look great . Also speak energetically and clear. 

9 hours ago, Butters said:

But important note is I do take modafinil, especially on short sleep (reset) days. 

Such a chemical crutch is okay to lean on, but long-term, paradoxically, the crutch will cripple you. Similar to how, while useful, vitamin D3 is not in and of itself a sunlight substitute, neither is coffee/caffeine or any wakefulness modulating agents such as modafinil. I strongly advise against its use.

9 hours ago, Butters said:

Hmm. I wanna do low carb cause I'm trying to lose some fat that I gained over the winter. I've also had consistent energy on low carb in the past. What I eat is full fat yoghurt, blueberries, some supermarket mixed veggies, lots of eggs, some meat and fish.

Any ballpark idea of what your macronutrients are (grams of protein, carbs and fat) on average per day? Personally, I would add in some white rice to increase your carb intake, but of course prioritize how you feel energetically over any estimate I offer (i.e., 150g of carbs daily).