StarStruck

How to prevent people from mimicking your website domain name

9 posts in this topic

For example if your domain name is apple.com, how can you prevent problem taking the name apples.com?

Buy all of them if they are cheap. Then redirect it to the main one.

Many boomers and old folks will definitely mess up on this one. You don't want to drive traffic to your competitors this way. 

9 hours ago, StarStruck said:

For example if your domain name is apple.com, how can you prevent problem taking the name apples.com?

You cannot. That's purely on the domain name provider to produce.

There is no legal grounds to sue a person or group for that, and nor should there be. 

1 hour ago, Bobby_2021 said:

Buy all of them if they are cheap. Then redirect it to the main one.

Many boomers and old folks will definitely mess up on this one. You don't want to drive traffic to your competitors this way. 

It costs like 50 cent. But I don’t know it is just 50 cent. 

Get a unique domain name and you won't have that problem. The more common the name, the more chances for knock-offs.

The "I" wants to know it's not. So, it seeks the end of itself. Hurray, there never was an "I". 

@StarStruck Domains are never 50 cents in the long-term, that's one. Two, you are worrying about a wrong thing. There's no point in preventing that, your domain is not that valuable for anyone to be doing that in the first place.

Posted (edited)

That's called: Cybersquatting / Typosquatting

What big companies (the owners of the brand) do is to actually buy commonly misspelled versions of it and redirect them. If you are bothered all you can pratically do is to buy those mispelled/similar versions before anyone will decide on it.

I've heard about someone called Michel Soft (Idk the spelling) getting sued by Microsoft.

They need to be doing trademark infringements, like purposefully trying to clone you, and even then, it's an expensive legal hell.

Another practical tip: DO NOT BUY ".CO" a lot of people will believe it's misspelled version of ".COM".

Don't worry so much about it. Most people those days will click on links anyways.

Edited by Lucasxp64

Most of your clicks are not going to come because they manually enter the URL into the search-bar. They will be clicks from backlinks and from the links that you share with people.