Jannes

Is jogging fun?

29 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Jason Actualization said:

From the article, "When muscles contract they pull on the bones to which they are connected. These forces provide the stimulus for bones to grow both thicker and denser. Maximal strength training and impact forces are the best way to provide this stimulus to your bones."

My advice for anyone serious about their health is to make at least 80% of their exercise resistance training, the other 20%, or less, low-impact cardio, giving you the best of both worlds (optimal bone and cartilage formation courtesy of a controlled set of weight-bearing exercises, while getting the cardio benefits in an equally controlled, low impact fashion). Professional cyclists are optimizing for one incredibly specific domain, and their propensity to suffer osteoporotic outcome is unsurprising given the unidimensional nature of their training, which I would never suggest one emulate.

Context is everything my friend. Here's the problem: the runners being studied have very low body mass indices. This demolishes the external validity of these studies, because most folks are overweight, and if you were to blindly advise them to run regularly, that would be ill-advised.

My BMI is around 28 and yet my body fat percentage is lower than these so-called "healthy" runners who are in fact skinny fat individuals who, invariably, will be more susceptible to sarcopenia later in life. That said, even though my "high" BMI is due to muscle mass, running would still put unwanted wear and tear on my joints and tendons, just as it would someone who is overweight due to excess adiposity.

The bottom line is that, jogging/running is simply one tool in the toolbox, but is in no way a linchpin given the several aforementioned, superior options.

Yeah, I agree for the most part.
A healthy balance between resistance exercise training and some form of cardio (even though I think running is perfectly fine for most people) is propably the best for keeping VO2max and lean muscle mass high during later stages of life. 

BMI is a good point. If you are 50kg or more overweight, running might actually put unnecessary strain on your tendons & cartilage.
That said, I dont think your body would have a problem with it since the whole joint-system itself, with all it's parts, tends to become more resistant to impacts if you train it regularly. That's the beauty of antifraglity. I don'T even know if allt hose studies did control for BMI and I am too lazy to look into it. But I think we mostly agree here.

Edited by undeather

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

Fun is relative. 

you can try it for yourself if it's fun or not.

16 hours ago, undeather said:

A healthy balance between resistance exercise training and some form of cardio (even though I think running is perfectly fine for most people) is propably the best for keeping VO2max and lean muscle mass high during later stages of life. 

Definitely man, running is probably fine for most people assuming they are already at a healthy body weight, it's just not something I would issue universally given the excess adiposity most people hold. I know you wouldn't blindly "prescribe" running either without considering context, so I suspect we are more or less on the same page here.

16 hours ago, undeather said:

BMI is a good point. If you are 50kg or more overweight, running might actually put unnecessary strain on your tendons & cartilage.
That said, I dont think your body would have a problem with it since the whole joint-system itself, with all it's parts, tends to become more resistant to impacts if you train it regularly. That's the beauty of antifraglity. I don'T even know if allt hose studies did control for BMI and I am too lazy to look into it. But I think we mostly agree here.

100%.

depends

I get bored of jogging fast 

but could play sports like football, badminton etc for hours, so I do those for 'cardio' and actually have fun 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

On 03/02/2024 at 0:47 AM, undeather said:

You mind giving us some data that running damages your knees?

I personally cannot but 9/10 when I've met people with permanent injury problems it's people who ran/jogged. Running seems to cause most fitness related injuries.

It's why I stopped jogging and started using an exercise bike.

18 minutes ago, Jason Actualization said:

Brilliant, but please ensure to include weight-bearing exercises in your program, i.e., resistance training (squatting for example).

Do you enjoy doing calisthenics?

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

Joggers high is so incredibly rare, and I've only felt a mild version of it despite running tons of times and even doing extreme runs. It's not a feeling of numbness it's actually a good feeling just not very potent nor long-lasting.

It's not unhealthy, definitely, you're not going to be suffering much if at all.

I seem to be an extreme sprinter, it comes so easy for me but jogging just destroys me and I can't keep going despite wim hof breathing and pacing. Not all the time of course, I still have gone longer distances, but experienced runners high only once.

Edited by numbersinarow

22 hours ago, Yimpa said:

Do you enjoy doing calisthenics?

I love calisthenics, especially pull ups and dips which are excellent mass builders. The key is to overload over time, because sure you can continue adding reps to these movements, but once you have strength enough, there are a couple noteworthy benefits to adding resistance via a weight lifting belt, for example. The first benefit is that it's simply more efficient to induce hypertrophy in a moderate rep range such as 8-12 reps, but the second major benefit is that, if you are ever in a calorie deficit wanting to gain leanness/definition, you will burn less muscle glycogen training higher intensity, lower volume. Conventional wisdom would suggest that one should perform higher rep, lower resistance sets while leaning out, but in fact this is counterproductive (the bottom line being that the additional calorie burn you get from training this way gets overshadowed by the muscle glycogen depletion). Use training to elicit the the hypertrophy stimulus, and use nutrition to ensure you are hypocaloric (again, assuming you want to lean out). Nevertheless, calisthenics are a phenomenal tool to implement.