ZenAlex

What could be causing sudden exercise intolerance?

85 posts in this topic

I don't feel fatigued after exercise, but I feel lightheaded during and after, and get rushes of depression, tightness around my body, restlessness and higher anxiety.

This isn't even after high intense specifically, even just walking does it to me. 

It's been this way for 4 months. Had blood tests done, no anemia, thryoid fine, hba1c fine, no hypoglycemia, b12, D, iron, all fine.

Any ideas?

Are you vegan? 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

57 minutes ago, LfcCharlie4 said:

Are you vegan? 

Yes why?

This shit fucking sucks dudes. If I cannot resolve this then I'm not staying alive. I cannot go out and do any real exercise. I miss hiking so much.

On 1/30/2024 at 8:55 PM, ZenAlex said:

This shit fucking sucks dudes. If I cannot resolve this then I'm not staying alive. I cannot go out and do any real exercise. I miss hiking so much.

Woah, let's hit the pause button and regroup bro. What you are experiencing, I can assure you is temporary, so hang in there my friend. Physiology is fixable with the proper inputs.

Can you tell me more about your diet, being as granular as possible, so I can better deduce the potential for specific micronutrients that you have yet to be tested for?

The more detail the better, i.e., exact quantities, for how long you have been eating this way, and in the context of what supplementation, again, being as specific as possible. Give me as many puzzle pieces as possible and I will do my best to assemble that which remains, and, by extension, offer you precise, practical advice to become whole again.

On 03/02/2024 at 9:56 PM, Jason Actualization said:

Woah, let's hit the pause button and regroup bro. What you are experiencing, I can assure you is temporary, so hang in there my friend. Physiology is fixable with the proper inputs.

Can you tell me more about your diet, being as granular as possible, so I can better deduce the potential for specific micronutrients that you have yet to be tested for?

The more detail the better, i.e., exact quantities, for how long you have been eating this way, and in the context of what supplementation, again, being as specific as possible. Give me as many puzzle pieces as possible and I will do my best to assemble that which remains, and, by extension, offer you precise, practical advice to become whole again.

Sorry for the bulk post, I wont rush you for a response, I don't want your happiness to be spoilt by my sadness.

I was vegan for 8 years up until recently. I ate a very healthy diet, haven't drank alcohol regularly for around about 7.5/8 years. No cigarettes. No drugs, minimal junk.

I was eating mostly whole foods. I used cronometer.com to make sure I was meeting as much of the RDA as possible for everything.

I stopped being vegan about 10 days ago, just to see if it will make a difference I've been eating fish, chicken and milk, but am mostly still vegan.

My blood tests are showing mostly everything fine. Nothing out of range except I was slightly low HDL Cholesterol and slightly high MPV platelets, but the NHS doctor and the private doctor who did the tests said nothing was of any concern for them.

I was put on 24 hour BP monitor and ECGs.

I have been getting lightheaded and any amount of exercise makes me feel depressed, tightness around my body, I've also had stomach issues on and off for 2-3 months and notice I had black in my poop recently.

I think I may have developed a mild b12 deficiency, because my b12 levels, although within normal ranges, were borderline with 292 ng/l for serum and 44 pmol/l for active, which is very low normal. My symptoms seem to match with low b12 and related problems like POTS, although I'm not sure.

All I know is any amount of physical activity - My body seems to reject it. I made sure it's not just because I'm alone with my thoughts on my walks, because when I meditate It calms. I drove out to an isolated hiking spot, felt fine in the car, felt when I got out the car, but after a few minutes of walking, the beauty disappears, then I get tightness around the body, irritability, I feel depressed.

Last time I went for a hike, I noticed I still have the energy to do it, but I got a mild anxiety attack.

My docs said that sometimes my BP was going quite low although she said it could just be because I'm genuinely healthy, I notice it drops to the low 90's over 60's.

I'm having an MMA test done soon for it, hopefully that comes back with the answers.

I try not to believe my imagination and it's catastrophising, but it's been 5 months and I haven't been able to resolve the issue.

I suppose it's because the main way I dealt with my depression/anxiety was hiking. Hiking brought me to Zen, and now I cannot do that anymore. Even just walking for a short while makes me feel bad, although I refuse to remain sedentary because that is not healthy. 

If anyone wants me to send them my blood tests I can do so in full.

I am awaiting another test which includes  Inclusions: Vitamin D, Vitamin B12, Folate, Ferritin, Magnesium, Zinc, Copper, Sodium, Calcium & calculated corrected Calcium, Albumin, Testosterone, SHBG and calculated free Testosterone

On 2/5/2024 at 8:59 PM, ZenAlex said:

Sorry for the bulk post, I wont rush you for a response, I don't want your happiness to be spoilt by my sadness.

Sorry for the delay brother, I just finished uploading an entire video dedicated to you.

7 hours ago, Jason Actualization said:

Sorry for the delay brother, I just finished uploading an entire video dedicated to you.

Wow didn't expect for you to make a full video on me, currently watching it now. Thank you very much for this. 

In regards to my RDA's however, I was aware that non-heme iron doesn't absorb as easily so I ate 200% my rda alongside Vit C.

With b12 I was consuming at least the RDA in fortified foods and also consuming a multivitamin veg 1 which contained quite a bit of b12 in it, although not high strength.

I was also consuming a DHA/EPA supplement once per day as I realised the conversion from ALA to DHA is not good.

Sorry man I should I have gone more into detail on some things but you didn't come back to me asking for more information.

But thank you a lot I definitely learned a lot from this.

In regards to zinc to copper, I was getting a lot of copper from cashews and nuts everyday, and around 90-110% of the rda of zinc from oats, nuts and seeds.  I was not aware of the zinc/copper ratio though, so that's an interesting thing to note.

It's weird because I felt absolutely fine physically for 7.5 years, so much energy, then this problem arose. 

I'll take your advice on board. 

Also I have opted mostly for Salmon 2x per week, Tuna 1x per week and chicken 1x per week. Sometimes I'll have haddock.

Zinc deficiency makes sense as I sometimes notice small white marks on my nails, although not many, I have thinning hair and eyebrows. I also notice some signs of premature aging which sucks, but I don't care about looks now, just feeling at peace.

@Jason Actualization

Hi again, just looked at my diet plan, I am getting 10mg of zinc per day and 2.9mg of copper.

Will look into zinc supp to take my zinc up to 20mg and copper is 3 so at least I'll be getting up to a 7/1 ratio or there abouts and work from there :D

@Jason Actualization 

@undeather

@LfcCharlie4

These are the two tests I'm awaiting results on

https://www.medichecks.com/products/methylmalonic-acid-mma-blood-test

Cannot take b12 supps right now as need to avoid but getting MMA test done next week, as soon as bloods drawn, b12 supps daily.

This one I had done along side an omega 3 test -

https://bluehorizonbloodtests.co.uk/products/sports-blood-test-profile?_pos=1&_sid=574883dad&_ss=r

Although the dumb asses at blue horizon didn't tell me to stop supplementing at any point until 2 days before testing they said "yeah stop supplementing 6-8 weeks before hand".

But it should only impact a couple of things, it's the zinc, copper, magnesium I'm mainly interested in.

I'm eating animal products to avoid further b12 deterioration.

It took me a while to figure out what it could be, I've had these symptoms for 5 months, I hope no irreversible damage has occurred due to it going on for so long. 

I didn't have the symptoms earlier last year so maybe not

Edited by ZenAlex

On 2/7/2024 at 8:03 PM, ZenAlex said:

I was also consuming a DHA/EPA supplement once per day as I realised the conversion from ALA to DHA is not good.

Check the nutrition label of this supplement and please tell me how many mg of DHA and of EPA you have been taking per day, and for how long.

In regards to zinc to copper, I was getting a lot of copper from cashews and nuts everyday, and around 90-110% of the rda of zinc from oats, nuts and seeds.  I was not aware of the zinc/copper ratio though, so that's an interesting thing to note.

The zinc/copper ratio is paramount, and the oats, nuts and seed you've been leaning on for your zinc intake will absolutely fall short my friend. I strongly encourage you to consume at least 250g of ~90% beef mince per day, not only to augment your B12 levels, but to help enhance your bioavailable zinc intake.

It's weird because I felt absolutely fine physically for 7.5 years, so much energy, then this problem arose. 

It's only seemingly weird because one (quite logically so) thinks to themself, "hmmm, I haven't made any dietary changes recently, so surely this is not a consequence of my nutrition." However, there is a massive degree of inter-individual variability in terms of how long it takes for a micronutrient deficiency to manifest. In your case, because it took so long, it wasn't immediately obviously connected to your nutrition because the symptoms of said micronutrient deficiencies are a lagging measure of an inadequate intake, and so it's difficult to connect the dots.

On 2/7/2024 at 8:09 PM, ZenAlex said:

I also notice some signs of premature aging which sucks, but I don't care about looks now, just feeling at peace.

Appearance is overrated, it's really just the cherry on top. The most valuable byproduct of being healthy and fit is to be truly at ease with yourself.

On 2/8/2024 at 0:19 AM, ZenAlex said:

Will look into zinc supp to take my zinc up to 20mg

My advice would be to disregard the zinc content of your current food consumption, and to supplement such that you are getting 20mg of additional zinc to your diet, ideally from the aforementioned beef, or, alternatively, an amino acid chelated supplement.

On 2/8/2024 at 2:11 AM, ZenAlex said:

I'm eating animal products to avoid further b12 deterioration.

Honestly man, this is paramount. My friend Luke has coached countless people over the years, and between his experience in that arena, and my experience consulting as a pharmacist for nursing homes, we have both encountered cases in which people are non-responders to B12 supplementation. Checking the B12 box via animal products is highly recommended, but please just keep in mind that recovering from as significant of a deficiency as yours could take up to 12 months. It may be worthwhile to discuss with a doctor the possibility of getting a B12 shot intramuscularly. Think of that as a bolus dose to help get your levels back to a healthy steady state, and think of the animal products in your diet as a way to maintain that level. This shot is not mandatory but would expedite your recovery.

On 2/8/2024 at 2:12 AM, ZenAlex said:

It took me a while to figure out what it could be, I've had these symptoms for 5 months, I hope no irreversible damage has occurred due to it going on for so long.

I am quite confident this is reversible and you will be feeling like a million bucks in no time brother. I saw the other thread you posted, and your exercise intolerance is absolutely due to a B12 deficiency. Having a triple digit B12 is unacceptable in my book, you should aim for north of 1200 if you seek optimality.

@ZenAlex I would put money on it veganism has nothing to do with it. It sounds like long covid, all the symptoms you mention are identical. 

On 10/02/2024 at 5:06 PM, Charlotte said:

@ZenAlex I would put money on it veganism has nothing to do with it. It sounds like long covid, all the symptoms you mention are identical. 

I have stopped being vegan just in case.

I've done many tests for Covid and none have come back confirming Covid. 

@ZenAlex the tests only work in the acute phase and even then they have a huge margin of error. You can have COVID and be asymptomatic. Long COVID is not an acute COVID infection. Just food for thought as all your symptoms where pointing to it as you suddenly developed exercise intolerance.

To me it looks like you are being strategic in approaching the problem which is the main thing.

Eventually, I don't doubt you will find the solution. However, I do detect a lack of patience in your posts re this issue. My reccomendation would be to watch Leo's video about patience.

Be-Do-Have

You have to play the cards you're dealt

There is no failure, only feedback

6 hours ago, Ulax said:

To me it looks like you are being strategic in approaching the problem which is the main thing.

Eventually, I don't doubt you will find the solution. However, I do detect a lack of patience in your posts re this issue. My reccomendation would be to watch Leo's video about patience.

I suppose the reason I feel this way is because unfortunately some of the stuff I am trying cannot involve regular effort from me, I'm sitting and waiting to have tests done, and there's nothing I can do in the mean time but wait sometimes. I wish resolving the problem would involve constant effort and the more effort I put in, the sooner I resolve the problem.

I have no choice but to go out and walk to places, but walking is causing me depression, anxiety and triggering mild anxiety attacks and lightheadedness.

I'm also getting intermittent tinnitus.

Based on my test results, b12 deficiency is the only physical problem that makes sense, if it's not this, then I may just because worsening mental health impacting me physically, if that is the case that I'll see another psychologist, as all the self help stuff like meditation, walking etc is not working as effectively anymore.

If these things don't work, then I will likely kill myself because these issues have stolen the last 6 months of my life, when I was already suffering with MH problems anyway, but I had them undercontrol.

I have barely been able to enjoy anything during this time, and the doctors are starting to insinuate it's all in my head, which it may be.

I'm even starting to get stomach issues. I've not had a solid shit in 2 months now.