OBEler

The older you get the more stupid you are

65 posts in this topic

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

20 hours ago, OBEler said:

I used the word stupid because in my observation it is a big decline.

You were using the word 'stupid'. Now it has magically morphed into 'moron' since Leo used that word. Notice that?

Leo- "This is so backwards. 25 year olds are morons.

OBEler-"We all will be one day 60 and will be the same slow moron 

I notice this same mimicry in my 4-year-old grandson too because of how impressionable he is. It's quite endearing watching him develop. You have to watch everything you say around him or he will repeat it.

Edited by cetus

@cetus the word moron Leo used is an even more radical term, I used it so that everyone can see what I mean since even the word stupid let to confusion. Also Leo mentioned that 25 years old are morons so if I say people over 60s are morons, there is no age discrimination then in this context.

I know it's not technically correct at all because morons have a genetically disease and people over 60 will not become morons. But what the word morons stays for is low intelligence combined with low wisdom. A good word to describe the average man over 60 (again, no offense, we all get old).

Edited by OBEler

@OBEler

2 hours ago, OBEler said:

I used the word stupid because in my observation it is a big decline.

"Substantial cognitive decline" would be the most accurate description of what you are trying to convey. Rather than stupid or moron.

But I thought the topic was more about the elderly and new technology?

22 hours ago, OBEler said:

If you speak with 60 years old people, a lot of them are already not capable to comprehend complex new things. It's sad to watch and also a real problem for them. I would even call some of them retarded

You don't need to feel sorry for them. From their perspective if they managed to live a healthy, happy life without the need for the latest technology why do they suddenly need it now?

*How do you know they're not thinking " If this poor moron was lost and his batteries died in his cell phone he would be screwed". 

Edited by cetus

@cetus because being retarded leads to bad decisions. Also with low intelligence you cannot enjoy many things  (understanding movies, reading books, playing complex video games etc).

The good thing is if you are old you have already built up so much in your life that you can hardly screw up. And in Germany you have a big social net in case you really screwed up.

Still it is sad to watch that they cannot catch up with the new developement of the word and live more and more in their own small world where things will not change. They can be happy in them. But still 

"But I thought the topic was more about the elderly and new technology?"

The topic is about how prevent becoming a 60 years old moron.

Edited by OBEler

2 minutes ago, OBEler said:

The topic is about how prevent becoming a 60 years old moron.

I gave you the answer to that right up front. It's called neuroplasticity. -Or the lack of it.

So, exercises that enhance one's neuroplasticity would be the answer. That is if there aren't other underlying factors in question such as the development of plaque on the brain.

"Substantial cognitive decline" would be the most accurate description of what you are trying to convey. Rather than stupid or moron."

people think you can still have wisdom with substantial cognitive decline. Moron is a good word because a lack of wisdom is also included. Also the word moron is better to read for the eye because it's so commonly used.

Edited by OBEler

@OBEler Okie dokie. Not everyone suffers from a limited use of vocabulary. Some of us even know the big words and how to use them properly. And learning new ones too!

Oh, dear God!

6 minutes ago, cetus said:

@OBEler Okie dokie. Not everyone suffers from a limited use of vocabulary. Some of us even know the big words and how to use them properly. And learning new ones too!

Oh, dear God!

The big words are not always suitable my friend.  Or do you know a big word for low intelligence and low wisdom aka a moron?

Edited by OBEler

Don't make me say it. 

Have a nice day!

Edited by cetus

Cognition: is the "mental action or process of acquiring knowledge and understanding through thought, experience = (*Wisdom), and the senses". It encompasses all aspects of intellectual functions and processes such as: perception, attention, thought, imagination, intelligence, the formation of knowledge, memory and working memory, judgment and evaluation, reasoning and computation, problem-solving.

1 hour ago, cetus said:

Cognition: is the "mental action or process of acquiring knowledge and understanding through thought, experience = (*Wisdom), and the senses". It encompasses all aspects of intellectual functions and processes such as: perception, attention, thought, imagination, intelligence, the formation of knowledge, memory and working memory, judgment and evaluation, reasoning and computation, problem-solving.

@cetus 

1 hour ago, cetus said:

Dude you just use a much broader term of cognition. Not everyone here in this forum thinks that cognition already includes wisdom in it's definition (read back at the comments), the scientific term also differentiates here between cognition and wisdom and sees them as different concepts. While using the term moron it's pretty clear. So in this case moron is a  good and simple word to describe it. 

By the way people who try to use big words are morons. Because they don't understand that big words often leads more to confusion. Keep it simple (and stupid).

Edited by OBEler

Moron isn’t a great word it has connotations of insult 

◭"89"

In terms of insult yes I wish there would be a nicer word. 

I did ketamine infusions at 25 while my peers were out there partying and drinking beer.

To be fair, I am spiritually gifted but am ass at socializing. Pros and cons 

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

@Yimpa what has that to do with the topic? That you were a moron at 25?

Edited by OBEler

58 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

Moron isn’t a great word it has connotations of insult 

It has gone from Stupid to Moron to Retarted.

Just as side note: I'm not personally offended by anything said here, myself being over 60. My only concern is the use of language being well beneath what one would expect from a mod. It sounds more like childish playground name calling.

1 minute ago, OBEler said:

what had that to do with the topic?

I was tying my experience with the idea that 25 year olds are inept and lack experience. Depending on who you ask, it is either extremely foolish or brilliant to have skipped college and instead focus heavily on spirituality and understanding my psychology first.

This did come at a heavy cost, though. I’m aware that I need to “get back to society” and work on my finances and relationships, which I severely lack experience with and are in not-so-stable condition.

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

@OBEler

You are looking at your own limitation of connecting with that generation, culture, or group of people. Do some self reflection.

Your perspective is brilliant, dumb, intricate, shallow, correct, incorrect, beautiful, and hideous. Its everything and so is everyone elses, it's infinity viewed any way you like. There is always someone out there, of any age who can be insightful, able, intelligent, charming, skilled, anything or the opposite of these qualities.

Its very limiting to consider people dumb because they reason differently to you, or don't choose a certain device/technology to address a problem, or even that they don't address the problem you see at all. They are in a different mind, a different culture, a different era, religion, friend group, valueset, whatever. Dismissing a generation like this, is going to cut you off from them, it's going to naturally distance you from what is a link in a chain. It is more beneficial to be able to hear them, through the filter of age, or anything else in the way like your hatred of long words! They still shape reality here just like you do.

The fact your education, or experience gave you some insight a group of people might be lacking, is a function of our continued evolution in our school systems or culture, it is one teacher from the previous generation teaching the next. It does not make someone else let alone an entire generation moronic. They had different experiences that they observed shaping their reality. 

You have a lot of arrogance, take it from someone who was very arrogant, who thought themselves in their 20's 'better' or at least more intelligent than those around him. Life is going to humble you over and over until you lose it. Until you realise you are no better than any previous generation, you are just different. My 20's for me and my friends were spent maturing, and we all had a lot to learn about ourselves, life, and how to treat others. I'd take an old me over a young me any day, what you'll hear most people say is they wish they had the youth AND the experience.

Edited by BlueOak

I definitely think 60 year thought art will, in many ways be more wise, mature and full of information that 28 year old me now. 

It bound to happen, as long as I live that long, don't have any strange diseases etc... my life long learning, life purpose and healthy habits I think will pay positive dividends. I am also letting go of my youthful identity and embracing I am an old bastard.

You can't deny biology, or the truth of aging. But, I do think you can do the work to be cognitively sharper when older than others if you work on it.

◭"89"