Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ZenAlex

Anyone here tried a Low Carb diet?

16 posts in this topic

What are your results?

How did you feel on it and what did you eat exactly?

I tried this several years ago and was lethargic, probably because I wasn't too used to working with fatty acids.

But in any case this kind of diet is a waste of time, a lot of effort, restrictions for not much.

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

On 11/22/2023 at 10:59 AM, Schizophonia said:

I tried this several years ago and was lethargic, probably because I wasn't too used to working with fatty acids.

But in any case this kind of diet is a waste of time, a lot of effort, restrictions for not much.

I will echo this.

In general, the minimal carb intake I would recommend for grown men is 150g per day, titrated upwards based on how active they are.

I feel amazing with 300g of carbs in my diet, about 180g of protein and 80g of fat. Ketosis is a starvation state that, while useful, is not physiologically optimal.

3 hours ago, Jason Actualization said:

I will echo this.

In general, the minimal carb intake I would recommend for grown men is 150g per day, titrated upwards based on how active they are.

I feel amazing with 300g of carbs in my diet, about 180g of protein and 80g of fat. Ketosis is a starvation state that, while useful, is not physiologically optimal.

What do you think of Bart Kay, Anthony Chaffee, Robert Kiltz, Ken Berry and other Dr. Carnivores?
These guys seem to get by on a carnivorous keto diet, much more athletic than the high carb vegan dr, maybe just the high protein intake? Idk.

20 hours ago, Schizophonia said:

What do you think of Bart Kay, Anthony Chaffee, Robert Kiltz, Ken Berry and other Dr. Carnivores?
These guys seem to get by on a carnivorous keto diet, much more athletic than the high carb vegan dr, maybe just the high protein intake? Idk.

They do seem to get by. I've trained with Shawn Baker in his home garage, and the man is a phenom. The higher protein intakes allow for more glycogen storage via gluconeogenesis, it's simply far more efficient to get the job done with starch (basmati rice is my personal go to).

I believe these individuals could do even better on a higher carbohydrate diet, it would certainly increase their free and total testosterone, and anaerobic work capacity. The Achilles heel of the carnivore diet is the lack of antioxidant intake, which renders them more vulnerable to atherosclerosis. Ideally, you what the dietary fat ratios of the carnivore diet, but then you also want to augment your antioxidant intake to retain squeaky clean blood vessels (antioxidants will confer your cholesterol with protection from oxidation).

I tried it and liked it

i also did keto etc

but my sleep got worse after a few weeks so had to stop, i sleep better if i eat carbs at night

I did try it. It works because  it simply takes the most addictive foods out of the diet. Mostly it's calories in/calories out. It's possible to eat too much only meat and gain weight. I know because I've done it. Most people gain weight from addictive foods... donuts, crackers, hot pockets, french fries, pizza, etc. I rarely eat these foods.

Paleo works because it eliminates the most addictive, caloric dense foods from the diet, and in the end it's more about calories in/out. 

For lifespan extension, eating carnivore is generally not the best idea.  Something like the Novos diet is closest to optimal, though I disagree with his saying to give up bread, but I eat high fiber bread.  In the end, use common sense.

https://novoslabs.com/how-to-slow-down-aging/

https://novoslabs.com/what-is-the-best-diet-for-longevity/

Edited by sholomar

17 minutes ago, sholomar said:

I did try it. It works to lose weight because it helps keep insulin levels low but more importantly it simply takes the most addictive foods out of the diet. Mostly it's calories in/calories out. It's possible to eat too much only meat and gain weight.  Most people gain weight from addictive foods... donuts, crackers, hot pockets, french fries, pizza, etc. I rarely eat these foods.

Paleo works because it eliminates the most addictive, caloric dense foods from the diet, and in the end it's more about calories in/out. 

For lifespan extension, eating carnivore is generally not the best idea. It's not necessarily the meat that is bad for you though, it's processed carbohydrates. Something like the Novos diet is closest to optimal, though I disagree with his saying to give up bread, but I eat high fiber bread. 95% of bread the average person buys is mostly low fiber, subpar for the health type bread.

(You don't need to buy his expensive anti-aging supplements though if I made 6 figures I probably would)

https://novoslabs.com/how-to-slow-down-aging/

https://novoslabs.com/what-is-the-best-diet-for-longevity/

Proteins are more insulinogenic than carbohydrates.

Insulin is anti-inflammatory, helps retain electrolytes, helps thyroid function (t3/t4 conversion), is anti-catabolic…

You want better insulin sensitivity, not less insulin.

Edited by Schizophonia

On 12/4/2023 at 10:15 AM, Schizophonia said:

You want better insulin sensitivity, not less insulin.

Those are actually the same thing. If you’re more sensitive to insulin (primarily via adequate protein consumption and resistance training), you’ll have lower circulating insulin levels, the insulin just essentially becomes more powerful.

@ZenAlex It’s not a particularly good healthy diet, no. If you’re completely sedentary it may be almost optimal given the terrible circumstance of being sedentary, but if you’re sedentary you either don’t care about health or you’re ignorant as to what’s healthy. Optimal health requires resistance training, and resistance training is fueled most effectively by carbs. In fact when carb intake drops below about 125g per day (a very tiny amount, really) the T3/T4 ratio decreases (worsens), and it’s vital for both mood and mental and physical energy. Aim for more calories from carbs than protein, and more from protein that fat — or at least close to that / balanced.

Its not a horrible fat loss protocol but it’s not the best and it should certainly only be temporary.

Edited by The0Self

3 minutes ago, The0Self said:

Those are actually the same thing. If you’re more sensitive to insulin (primarily via adequate protein consumption and resistance training), you’ll have lower circulating insulin levels, the insulin just essentially becomes more powerful.

You are right, it was a misnomer.
“Insulin signaling” or something like that would have been more appropriate. :ph34r:

4 minutes ago, Schizophonia said:

You are right, it was a misnomer.
“Insulin signaling” or something like that would have been more appropriate. :ph34r:

Gotcha

6 minutes ago, The0Self said:

Gotcha

Damn, my character as an asshole who thinks he knows everything and explains everything to everyone is broken! Raah I hate you.

On 12/7/2023 at 4:35 PM, Schizophonia said:

Damn, my character as an asshole who thinks he knows everything and explains everything to everyone is broken! Raah I hate you.

Gotchu

:)

Edited by The0Self

@ZenAlex If you think ditching carbs from your diet is a smart move, you are sorely mistaken (unless you are a muscle-bound hunk aiming for Mr Olympia).

Your body and brain run on carbs like a car runs on gas, so what do you think happens when you go carb-free?

It gets even worse because your body cannot hydrate itself without carbohydrates, as the term "carbo-hydrate" suggests. If you consume a lot of water, you will simply urinate it out.

Don't get me wrong; the same rule applies to cutting fats or proteins. Your body needs carbs, fats, and proteins. It's all about finding the right balance. As the saying goes, "The difference between poison and medicine is in the dose."