Twega

Leo Mentioned Youtube Content Will "Toxify Your Mind"

10 posts in this topic

Leo, I remember you mentioned that excessively viewing youtube political content will slowly start to "toxify your mind"

Can you please elaborate on this?

Edited by Twega

@Twega

1 hour ago, Twega said:

Leo, I remember you mentioned that excessively viewing youtube political content will slowly start to "toxify your mind"

Here's an example I can show you:

It’s like watching parents fighting each other over and over and over again.

The dam will eventually break.

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

@Yimpa   that has been pretty much my life. Maybe I have a difficult time giving love to other because of this? (Sorry for changing the theme of the topic but I had to ask)

@LostSoul I would focus on discovering that Reality = Love, and the rest will naturally follow.

In ways that only God could imagine.

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

Not just YouTube, the whole internet will toxify your mind ;)

Try not looking at a screen for a week and see what happens 

@Twega

5 hours ago, Twega said:

It's like it's legal to mind rape your group, and your whole family. That's my feeling for how perverse the internet has become.

Garbage inputs, garbage outputs. Even if the content you watch is true, you have to ask yourself if knowing about it helps your life in any way. Sometimes it's possible to know "too much" the way our biology is wired the more we know, the more depressed we can get. The content is often too one sided and biases things towards the perspective it knows it's viewer wants to hear, like a miniature echo chamber to snare the viewer in and get them clicking on more, creating a self fulfilling belief system. Plus there's the time cost of consuming content. It's a real problem. Before a person knows it they are pushing 40 and realized they missed the starting gate. Now they have to make up for it.  Of course all this is just mind stories. You choose to believe what you want to believe, but your genetic makeup will give you these feelings that tend to drive various emotional states based on evolution also.

Good example of garbage inputs... these anti-china videos I watch. I never know how much truth there is about how intrusive the CCP is into people's lives. Like Leo says in his video on 65 principles of living the good life, direct experience is king. Anything else, even if "true" could be classified as meaningless, depending on one's perspective.

Edited by sholomar

On 06/10/2023 at 8:35 PM, Twega said:

There are many good things to explore in YouTube. Political content is not even 1% and the discussions are mostly mental masturbations and entertainment, and might not even affect who you vote for.

It's too much arguing and name-calling with a lack of nuance to complex topics. Every person and every situation oversimplified, black and white, good vs evil.

Politic talk on social media in general is pretty toxic. It's full of vitriol, self-righteousness, and groupthink. The negativity will rub off on you if you regularly expose yourself to it. It skews your idea of how people really are, you become more distrustful and irritable, see people who don't align with your ideals as enemies which contributes to political polarization. And to sholomar's point, there's so much trivial stuff discussed that you don't even need to know about, it'd be a better use of time to go pet your dog or something.