MarkKol

US Dietary guidelines recommend limit saturated fat to 10%

9 posts in this topic

US Dietary guidelines along with other studies say that we should limit saturated fat to 10% of total calories and honestly I was quite surprised how high they set the bar. If my math is correct that is about 22g of saturated fat or 200 calories in 2000 calories. My highest days of saturated fat are hitting 17g when I'm including beef with my regular everyday breakfast which contains lots of nuts and seeds. 

Also because they're measuring it in % per total calories, it makes me think that consuming more calories helps negate the bad effects of high saturated fat intake (or maybe polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats do that instead).

I'm seeing a lot of carnivore/frugivore content on YouTube and It really seems like the main argument against these guys is: If it makes you feel good now, it doesn't mean it will be beneficial long term. And I agree that subscribing to any diet philosophy is not the smartest thing to do for the average person. Eating 150g of protein and looking like Arnold Schwarzenegger comes at the price of longterm health.

Following seemingly the smartest people I know the advice is: Eat lots of vegetables including legumes, nuts, some fruit and a moderate amount meat and eggs. Rotate beef, eggs, chicken and fish everyday.

https://www.dietaryguidelines.gov/2020-2025-dietary-guidelines-online-materials/top-10-things-you-need-know#:~:text=Limiting saturated fat to less,less a day for women.

So, the bodybuilders say that gaining muscle is only possible in a calorie surplus and high protein intake which is definitely not possible eating mostly plants, you'll struggle to get to 100g. Is there any way to be ripped eating mostly plants?

Screenshot 2023-09-30 at 03.12.15.png

80E8F4D9-1A0C-43C0-AAAA-3078937D8F07_1_105_c.jpeg

Screenshot 2023-10-01 at 08.17.47.png

Sources: US dietary guidelines, Nutrition made simple (Gil Carvalho) & Chris MacAskill

Edited by MarkKol

10 hours ago, MarkKol said:

Eat lots of vegetables including legumes, nuts, some fruit and a moderate amount meat and eggs. Rotate beef, eggs, chicken and fish everyday.

Great post. I agree with everything you said.

Beef, eggs, chicken and fish are entirely optional though, you can do just fine without them :)

"It is from my open heart that I will mirror you, and reflect back to you all that you are:

As a being of love, of energy, 

of passion, and truth."

@MarkKol stop prioritizing RDAs and just get bloodwork done. Bloodwork with a competent functional medicine practitioner will answer the majority of questions you have about what to eat. RDAs are just basic guidelines at best.

Key indicators to check as far as saturated fat: LDL cholesterol, triglycerides and ApoB. Get a lipro(a) test too, although that one is more just genetic luck.

Edited by aurum

Unfortunately this is a colossal cognitive error. Saturated fat is actually divinely healthy and it is the ancestrally inconsistently high amounts of polyunsaturated fats, predominately facilitated via industrial seed oil consumption, that is perpetuating the diseases of modern civilization, heart disease not least of which.

To get ripped and maximize your muscular potential, eat 0.82 grams per lb of bodyweight per day, in at least two divided doses, of animal protein (red meat, chicken, fish, eggs, milk, cheese, yogurt, etc) while engaging in a properly formulated resistance training program.

Saturated fat based on % of calories is irrelevant. For fat intake, the most relevant marker is the % relative to total fat intake. For example, for me, I consume 55% of my fats as saturated, 38% monounsaturated, and 7% polyunsaturated. 

What is your current height and weight? Being in a calorie surplus is not necessary depending on your current body fat percentage. Recomping is entirely possible, and I would submit optimal, depending on the current state of your physique.

15 hours ago, toasty7718 said:

Beef, eggs, chicken and fish are entirely optional though, you can do just fine without them :)

I haven’t seen any evidence that consuming meat in small amounts is harmful, I think it has it’s place in a balanced diet.

6 hours ago, Jason Actualization said:

Unfortunately this is a colossal cognitive error. Saturated fat is actually divinely healthy and it is the ancestrally inconsistently high amounts of polyunsaturated fats, predominately facilitated via industrial seed oil consumption, that is perpetuating the diseases of modern civilization, heart disease not least of which.

To get ripped and maximize your muscular potential, eat 0.82 grams per lb of bodyweight per day, in at least two divided doses, of animal protein (red meat, chicken, fish, eggs, milk, cheese, yogurt, etc) while engaging in a properly formulated resistance training program.

Saturated fat based on % of calories is irrelevant. For fat intake, the most relevant marker is the % relative to total fat intake. For example, for me, I consume 55% of my fats as saturated, 38% monounsaturated, and 7% polyunsaturated. 

What is your current height and weight? Being in a calorie surplus is not necessary depending on your current body fat percentage. Recomping is entirely possible, and I would submit optimal, depending on the current state of your physique.

Why would I trust you over a reputable medical institution? Not only are they reputable but they also have more evidence. 

These people are not even denying that eating a meat dominated diet will make you feel better than a plant dominated one, they agree. But what they also mention is that something that makes you feel good now might be worse long term. specifically for meat, they say that all that saturated fat you consume over the years will come down to bite you in the ass decades later. Probably something heart related

13 hours ago, aurum said:

@MarkKol stop prioritizing RDAs and just get bloodwork done. Bloodwork with a competent functional medicine practitioner will answer the majority of questions you have about what to eat. RDAs are just basic guidelines at best.

Key indicators to check as far as saturated fat: LDL cholesterol and ApoB. Get a lipro(a) test too, although that one is more just genetic luck.

Will do.

Edited by MarkKol

19 hours ago, Jason Actualization said:

Your claims mean absolutely nothing at this point dude. 

"It is from my open heart that I will mirror you, and reflect back to you all that you are:

As a being of love, of energy, 

of passion, and truth."

Edited by Princess Arabia

There is no beginning, there is no end. There is just Simply This. 

I just eat a common sense diet with a mixture of foods and don't worry about it too much. It's definitely healthier than the average Americans because if it wasn't I would gain weight and I don't want to do that.

There's a subreddit called volume eating that I like to take inspiration from so I can maximize the amount of food while minimizing the amount of calories. Most of the options here are going to be healthier because most healthy foods are going to provide you with more food for less calories.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Volumeeating/

Edited by sholomar

On 10/2/2023 at 5:07 PM, toasty7718 said:

Your claims mean absolutely nothing at this point dude. 

I recall you saying that money is tight, but once able, please let me know when you'd like to compare comprehensive bloodwork and other health and fitness metrics such as FFMI, grip strength, RHR, OGTT, and blood pressure.