Sucuk Ekmek

India is no longer India

41 posts in this topic

This is so stupid. 

Next thing you know, the Modi govt is going to start talking to them in Hindi. 

14 minutes ago, mr_engineer said:

No, they will commence voluntary oral vocal action.

or something like that... I am not so good with imagination.

10 minutes ago, Sidra khan said:

It has always been Bharat for the citizens, it's just Hindi translation of India. Roughly 70% of Indian population can't speak English so they would like it.

I thought the name came from Indus River.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indus_River

Well, I am glad that they would like it.

1 hour ago, Sucuk Ekmek said:

What do you guys think about that? Isn't that cool...Would you like to change your country's name as well?

no i think it's a bit silly

will they abolish english as a language also? i mean why not go all the way

Edited by PurpleTree

3 minutes ago, Sidra khan said:

If you ask an Indian to translate " I love India" into Hindi

They will translate like this.

"Mujhe Bharat se pyar hai"

How about nationality, are they call themselves Bharatans?

1 hour ago, Sucuk Ekmek said:

So the country's new name is Bharat and looks like this is another blow to slavery mentality.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/9/5/indias-modi-govt-replaces-countrys-name-with-bharat-in-g20-dinner-invite

What do you guys think about that? Isn't that cool...Would you like to change your country's name as well?

This is a misleading news.. India has always been Bharat, in constitution it starts with “India that is Bharat”

Historically India has been used in English and Bharat in the country region… Indians are Bhartiyas, that’s how we already identify with.

India comes from the Indus River, while Bharat was the lands name given in Vishnu purana the first time, Bharat is the correct word because if you Indus River flows through mostly Pakistan and it’s now a different country.

Edited by Amit

2 hours ago, mr_engineer said:

You say that talking in the national language, or one them because there're multiple in India, inside a country is stupid?

1 hour ago, PurpleTree said:

will they abolish english as a language also? i mean why not go all the way

What's inherently superiour about English? Spanish is way expressive and consistent. Portuguese is too.

Edited by rnd

1 minute ago, rnd said:

What's inherently superiour about English? Spanish is way expressive and consistent. Portuguese is too.

Did i say english is inherently superior? 

4 minutes ago, PurpleTree said:

Did i say english is inherently superior? 

No. But you said that abolishing English would be a bad thing. Maybe Hindi, Tamil are way better for the indians.  How would  you know this to claim that abolishing English is bad?

Moreover, it's a myth that "indians speak English". Some of them do. But whose who do, either do it basically or with mistakes, with an indian flavour.

8 minutes ago, rnd said:

No. But you said that abolishing English would be a bad thing. Maybe Hindi, Tamil are way better for the indians.  How would  you know this to claim that abolishing English is bad?

Moreover, it's a myth that "indians speak English". Some of them do. But whose who do, either do it basically or with mistakes, with an indian flavour.

I just think it‘s all silly

they actually should abolish english i would find it funny anyways. Modi is such a stud bro

10 minutes ago, PurpleTree said:

I just think it‘s all silly

they actually should abolish english i would find it funny anyways. Modi is such a stud bro

"silly",  but no explanation. Which argument is then silly - mine or yours?

1 minute ago, rnd said:

"silly",  but no explanation. Which argument is then silly - mine or yours?

Yours and mine

57 minutes ago, rnd said:

You say that talking in the national language, or one them because there're multiple in India, inside a country is stupid?

The contemporary Americanized English-language, in which we can entertain ideas without dogmatically believing them, is very good for any country to progress towards individualism. My issue with Hindi is that there aren't enough abstract words (at least in spoken communication). This makes it so speaking in Hindi makes you sound more dogmatic. 

I think that India has a lot to learn from the West and needs to be very friendly and welcoming towards them. There is no need to psychologically alienate them, for what?! To establish a stronger sense of national identity?! Why screw with the language of communication?! Why not just stick with what works?! 

I think the name "india" was given to then by british invadors. Their original name was always bharat. 

Those you do not forgive you fear. 

Even the epic MahaBharat is about the great land of india and its history. (I think, idk really)

Those you do not forgive you fear.