RedLine

awakening as end of desire

8 posts in this topic

By awakening I mean classic buddhist nirvana awakening, not alien stuff.

If awakening is the end of desire:

Why does Frank Yang create videos?

Why does Angelo Duilio write his book?

Why does Peter Ralston organizes seminars?

Does´t it come from the idea of present moment A is not complete ok so I have to achieve something in order to reach point B which is better?

What is the difference between me writing a book and Angelo Diuilio writing a book?

If desire/craving is completely erradicated I don´t get how can someone can make effors to achieve something. If they are 100% ok in the presen moment, why would they want to achieve stuff?

@RedLine Waking Up is not the same as Cleaning Up or Growing Up. They are distinct paths.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

think about it

if there was no desire, nothing would exist.

that’s the buddhist conundrum. attempting to escape the self when it’s quite literally impossible to do so.

Edited by Oppositionless

@RedLine  

I think what is being said is that you have to stop wishing in order to wake up. Is completely true. if you wish even a little whatever, the door closes. then, you cannot keep the door open for a long time, only the time in which you do not want anything, nor do you have any bias. the complete end of suffering. if you do this for 5 minutes a day, that's already a huge achievement. with that, the rest of the time that will be very close the surface. But in a couple of days it fades. 

Why do you think that awakening is the end of desire? I understand awakening as being extremely aware of the direct experience while accepting everything as it is. Even if desire or resistance is being experienced, it is completely accepted as pure goodness, love and truth. The concept of a separate self is seen as an illusion so the nature of desire will change but there will not be an end of all desire.

@RedLine You no longer have the DESIRE for anything, but that doesn't mean you can't do it. You can have no desire to have sex, but given the opportunity you can have sex, but you sort of don't have the craving/desire for it, do you catch where I'am pointing? That's a big difference. The ego has desire/need/craving, but the Spirit/Soul/Consciousness does not.

The problem with these teachings is that ignorant people take these things literally and then actually get lost in these word/meaning games.

Mahadev

9 hours ago, RedLine said:

By awakening I mean classic buddhist nirvana awakening, not alien stuff.

Directly be the one who is making that distinction ;)

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

awakening is letting existence speak its message via me

ego is me revising existence's message and claiming mine is best

instinct vs. intellect and scripted vs. spontaneous and thought vs, truth