SQAAD

This Drug Made Me Gain 15 Pounds In 1 Month

23 posts in this topic

Read carefully my story so the same pattern does not happen to you. 

A month ago I experienced an unexpected drastic shift in Consciousness. This lead to drastic changes in my life. 

The changes were too much I think for my system, because I could not sleep more than 2-3 hours per day.(Physically I was feeling fine though). 

This made me seek professional help. A group of psychiatrists (3 of them) prescribed me Olanzopine & Lorazepam. One of the doctors told me that you'll sleep very well with these medications. 

Problem is that he didn't warn me about the side effects. 

I've had experience with Lorazepam but I had no clue about Olanzopine. And I made the mistake of not researching enough of the drug. Maybe because I knew I wasn't willing to take the medication more than a month.. 

Anyways.. After 1-2 weeks I began noticing my weight increasing. After 3 weeks I had incredible uncontrollable urges to overeat carbohydrates and I noticed that even when I was eating like 10 egg whites & including other protein sources I was not getting full no matter what... This was so frustrating and caused me enormous misery.... 

Finally after doing my research I found that Olanzopine is a drug notoriously known to cause incredible weight gain. Like 40-80 pounds weight gain. Serious serious stuff.. 

This drug blocks histamine receptors in your brain and thus blocking your satiety signal. 

Moreover I've found that while on this drug, my Consciousness was lowered and I was less intelligent. These anti psychotic medications lower your Consciousness while on them.

Now I've discontinued the medications and I feel much sharper. 

I take 100% responsibility because I was too fearful/stupid to research the potential side effects. But these psychiatrists didn't warn me about this. This is very distressing..... 

Edited by SQAAD

This is important I’m glad you mention, And sometimes they don’t even know of some of the side effects themselves. 

For example I have some damage on my teeth that is usually caused by drinking excess soda and other acidic stuff. But I’ve never done that in any significant way in my life .Actually I’ve never liked carbonated drinks in particular ever in my life.  When I was a young child a had epilepsy and was put on strong medication for 5 years and I did my research and found studies, one of them with my exact medication,  showing they causing damage on children’s teeth sigh…. 

Edited by Sugarcoat

@Sugarcoat

10 minutes ago, Sugarcoat said:

This is important I’m glad you mention, And sometimes they don’t even know of some of the side effects themselves. 

For example I have some damage on my teeth that is usually caused by drinking excess soda and other acidic stuff. But I’ve never done that in any significant way in my life .Actually I’ve never liked carbonated drinks in particular ever in my life.  When I was a young child a had epilepsy and was put on strong medication for 5 years and I did my research and found studies, one of them with my exact medication,  showing they causing damage on children’s teeth sigh…. 

Interesting story. 

You cannot completely trust doctors or any human for that matter. 

Edited by SQAAD

8 minutes ago, SQAAD said:

You cannot completely trust doctors or any human for that matter. 

Because they have no experience actually curing the problem. The people who you should seek out are does who have suffered the same problem as you and who have results curing it. The rest of completely lost in guessing games. 

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

@SQAAD Have you tried cannabis indica before sleeping? The antipsychotics are horribles, and benzodiazepines are effective but you have to dose more quickly because it's more a "physical" relaxer than a mental one, if you know what I mean.

Edited by Schizophonia

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

@integral

1 hour ago, integral said:

Because they have no experience actually curing the problem. The people who you should seek out are does who have suffered the same problem as you and who have results curing it. The rest of completely lost in guessing games. 

The funny thing with all these psychiatrists.. is that they are so eager to prescribe you medications without warning you about the downsides, while themselves they usually haven't taken any of the medications. 

They usually haven't been the ones being prescribed and suffered from medications. That's why they do not care too much. 

@Schizophonia

29 minutes ago, Schizophonia said:

@SQAAD Have you tried cannabis indica before sleeping? The antipsychotics are horribles, and benzodiazepines are effective but you have to dose more quickly because it's more a "physical" relaxer than a mental one, if you know what I mean.

Now I can sleep well. 

I am not a smoker any more. And cannabis is super addictive for me. 

Benzos are not addictive though (for me) . I never abused them. They are not to be used longer than 1 month. 

If you take Benzos for sleep you can just take 1 pill before sleep and it does the job. That's what I did. Lorazepam has a long half life. Other Benzos have shorter half life. 

Edited by SQAAD

The psychiatrist should have educated you about this extremely common side effect.
Bad experiences like this shape peoples distrust in the modern medical system, and that's a problem.

Edited by undeather

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

38 minutes ago, SQAAD said:

@Schizophonia

Now I can sleep well. 

I am not a smoker any more. And cannabis is super addictive for me. 

Benzos are not addictive though (for me) . I never abused them. They are not to be used longer than 1 month. 

If you take Benzos for sleep you can just take 1 pill before sleep and it does the job. That's what I did. Lorazepam has a long half life. Other Benzos have shorter half life. 

Benzo works average for me, it does not target my problem well.

@undeather

48 minutes ago, undeather said:

The psychiatrist should have educated you about this extremely common side effect.
Bad experiences like this shape peoples distrust in the modern medical system, and that's a problem.

Most psychiatrists here in Greece, prescribe medications carelessly like candies without giving any warnings. 

That's what they have been trained to do basically. Anytime you got an issue, immediately here is a drug for it. 

A friend of mine has gotten all messed up because of medications he takes. 

It seems that many, if not most of these psychiatric drugs, solve one problem, only to cause another one. 

Edited by SQAAD

@Schizophonia

48 minutes ago, Schizophonia said:

Benzo works average for me, it does not target my problem well.

What is your problem?? 

1 minute ago, SQAAD said:

@Schizophonia

What is your problem?? 

Slight anxiety and difficulty to "leave".
Benzo works well for calming compulsive thoughts, but also suppresses small, unimportant thoughts that actually help you drift off to sleep.

Also, sleep is poor under benzo (alprazolam in this case).

3 minutes ago, josemar said:

He's French 

Baguette gluten opiate addict :)

20 minutes ago, SQAAD said:

@undeather

Most psychiatrists here in Greece, prescribe medications carelessly like candies without giving any warnings. 

That's what they have been trained to do basically. Anytime you got an issue, immediately here is a drug for it. 

A friend of mine has gotten all messed up because of medications he takes. 

It seems that many, if not most of these psychiatric drugs, solve one problem, only to cause another one. 

Well, I mean the reason psychiatrists are giving out pharmaceuticals left and right is because they work.
Not for everyone and defintiely not all the time - but in general, this is obviously the case.

That said, psychiatric drugs are propably one of the most side effect prone substances known in modern medicine.
Most of the drugs I perscribe as an internal medicine doctor, like statins or antihypertensives, are magnitudes below the side effect profile of your average antipsychotic.

This is why good patient education is important and even ethically indicated.

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

@undeather

11 hours ago, undeather said:

Well, I mean the reason psychiatrists are giving out pharmaceuticals left and right is because they work.
Not for everyone and defintiely not all the time - but in general, this is obviously the case.

That said, psychiatric drugs are propably one of the most side effect prone substances known in modern medicine.
Most of the drugs I perscribe as an internal medicine doctor, like statins or antihypertensives, are magnitudes below the side effect profile of your average antipsychotic.

This is why good patient education is important and even ethically indicated.

Psychiatric drugs work on average for 1 to 5 people according to Judson Brewer. 

Another reason they prescribe these drugs is because that's their only solution under the materialist paradigm. 

It's really sad when you see people zombiefied and all messed up because of this line of treatment. 

I'm not against these medications. But it shouldn't be the only tool used. 

Edited by SQAAD

Psychiatric drugs work on average for 1 to 5 people according to Judson Brewer. 

Do you have a source for that Judson Brewer statement?
I highly doubt that he would say the whole class of psychiatric drugs has a 20% success rate on average. 
That would be a ridicolous cliam. Different medications with different indications have all different outcomes.

urn_cambridge.org_id_binary_20180518103517715-0063_S0007125000257565_S0007125000257565_tab2.gif

Another reason they prescribe these drugs is because that's their only solution under the materialist paradigm. 

It's really sad when you see people zombiefied and all messed up because of this line of treatment. 

I'm not against these medications. But it shouldn't be the only tool used. 

There are many potential modalities in psychiatry beside drugs (psychotherapy, EMDR, light therapy, movement-therapy, ECT...)
Psychodelics knocking on the door of the mainstream as well.

It "zombifies" SOME people - yes. On the other hand, I think the internet often distorts how well some patients do on psychiatric drugs.
It's a sampling bias. Those with terrible side effects are getting most of the attention while a large majority is doing fine.

- Rainer Maria Rilke

5 hours ago, undeather said:

It's a sampling bias. Those with terrible side effects are getting most of the attention while a large majority is doing fine.

That data does not represent the real world, your in a scientific ecochamber. 

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

6 minutes ago, integral said:

That data does not represent the real world, your in a scientific ecochamber. 

I think you are a tragic case of someone who thinks he is "beyond" science but actually regressed into a pre-rational state.
Going beyond the scientific echochamber (which exists) is possible, but requires a deep & specific expertise thereof.

In every discussion we have had so far, you have not only shown a complete lack of knowledge relating to the basic epistemologlical processes of science and medical data interpretation, but also a willful ignorance towards fact that you are clueless. Science can be corrupt, scientists can be dogmatic assholes and scientism will lead you astray - but if you can't grasp the absolute necessity of the scientific method and good data approximating real world phenomena, then you are just another dude who has lost the plot in a complex world. 

It's tragic, because I have read some pretty smart things from you and I still think you are a smart guy.

- Rainer Maria Rilke

3 hours ago, undeather said:

I think you are a tragic case of someone who thinks he is "beyond" science but actually regressed into a pre-rational state.
Going beyond the scientific echochamber (which exists) is possible, but requires a deep & specific expertise thereof.

In every discussion we have had so far, you have not only shown a complete lack of knowledge relating to the basic epistemologlical processes of science and medical data interpretation, but also a willful ignorance towards fact that you are clueless. Science can be corrupt, scientists can be dogmatic assholes and scientism will lead you astray - but if you can't grasp the absolute necessity of the scientific method and good data approximating real world phenomena, then you are just another dude who has lost the plot in a complex world. 

It's tragic, because I have read some pretty smart things from you and I still think you are a smart guy.

Aren't there viable alternatives to antipsychotics for manic episodes?