Mysterious Stranger

WTF is Deep Understanding really?

10 posts in this topic

1. At it's core, what is understanding? 
2. As humans. Why do we love to understand, why we want to do colonoscopy ?
3. What are we really doing when we're trying to understand something? 

Edited by Mysterious Stranger

24 minutes ago, Mysterious Stranger said:

What are we really doing when we're trying to understand something? 

From an egoic perspective it stems from a need to control.

Edited by cetus

32 minutes ago, cetus said:

Yes, for example. We want to reverse engineer those alien spacecrafts works so we can use it for World Control. 

Do you connect to it, does it feel meaningful, does it make sense, does it enrich your experience? If so, then you understand it. Deep understanding is when you understand something in a larger context or in relationship to more things.

For example, you might understand how somebody is feeling by picking up on their emotional expressions, but you'll understand it on an even deeper level if you've experienced what they're going through yourself.

Another example can be in the realm of conceptual understanding, where deeper understanding is about being aware of the conceptual richness that surrounds a given subject, for example spirituality (:P). Is spirituality just one thing or many possible things? Does it have different facets and manifestations? Does it overlap with different concepts? Is it dependent on things like culture or personal dispositions? Generally, how does spirituality relate to other things? 

Then you also have things like art, literature and music, where it's about understanding the different layers of a composition, or the different levels of meaning or interpretation of a story. Or sports, where it's about understanding the different components that go into making the best athlete, how they have to perfect their every move on and off the field, during the execution itself and during the preparation. The list goes on.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

1 hour ago, Mysterious Stranger said:

1. At it's core, what is understanding? 

Just experiencing or being conscious of something.

2. As humans. Why do we love to understand, why we want to do colonoscopy ?

Not just humans. Doesn't have to be a human phenomenon.

Furthermore, there are many humans who actually constrict their understanding, and their love for what they understand. (their identity is based on a lack of understanding)

For example, a pizza chef only focuses mainly on understanding pizzas, because they are a pizza chef

Or, a religious person who is scared to watch a video which goes against their religion, because they are religious.

There is also a survival incentive. You cannot survive without understanding. Understanding shapes survival.

Why do we want to do a colonoscopy? I will answer this with another question: What else is there to do? What is the alternative? 

3. What are we really doing when we're trying to understand something? 

Trying to become conscious of something you are not conscious of.

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

5 hours ago, cetus said:

Survival Strategy 101

I would change  the question to a more expansive juice one. What are the Deepest Things or Questions we can look for and find Understanding?

Well first you start out with a bunch of assumption made by observing things with your "senses", from there you connect does assuptions togetter to make more complex assuptions, everytime an assuption is created (or thought about) a feeling called understanding is experienced.

So understanding is a feeling. The process of understanding is the act of clarifing or removing the fog of or interconnecting assuptions until it suits a paradigm known as reason.

Reason is a algorithm that builds models of reality that is easily co-opted by egoic survival. Where does it come from? It could be in response to a need to change a feeling into the feeling of understanding. ? Understanding is the egos first coping mechanism.

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

I love it because
It's like i'm having RAW and DEEP SEX with reality. That connection is profoundly fulfilling.