Richard Purdy

Starting self help youtube channel. How do you grow an audience? (the right people)

28 posts in this topic

I was never canceled.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Same feedback as was given previously - someone already shared the channel.  Is that yours? https://www.youtube.com/@richardjpurdy

1. Photo - your account needs a photo or a logo otherwise it is indistinguishable from other accounts 
  2. Account Layout - There are options to polish your account - use a background pic, add some "about me info" etc. Make it look professional. Think about what the person coming to your account is thinking. The account is your business card, your shopping window (even tho you are not a business, you should be presenting yourself as a professional because the advice you are giving is a professional level) 
  3. Audio + Video - need to be fixed with priority - you can use a phone or get something like Sony ZV1 or Canon Mark III - or similar. You need an audio upgrade to - get a Bluetooth mike or a portable mike. 
  4. Get closer to the camera, half of the body is enough. Try to blur out the background a bit. I know finding rigth location is hard but I prefer that desk setup. Or try outdoors on a nice weather. With a bluetooth mic it is quite easy 
  5. body language - your BL is closed and very non-confident - open up, use your hands more, tilt your head, and invite your audience in. 
  6. Light - Get one of those light rings, the kitchen lights don't look great 
  7. Edit - there were a few moments like in the beginning where you are waiting a bit as in for recording to start - cut that out, use some nice transitions in those moments when you were looking for words. 
  8. Thumblink - most people choose a video by thumblink - try to put a little buit more effort into that otherwise all videos look the same, the thumblink should hook the viewer - its kind alike the way people judge books by the cover and while maybe you don't, most of your viewers do :)

Note: this is not coming from personal experience, although I do have an old channel (my content was mostly rubbish) but what I'm telling you is general advice you NEED to have if you want to make it as a Youtuber. I did not apply a lot of the advice I am giving you myself which makes me a bit hypocrite I am very much aware of that :D 

https://www.youtube.com/@androhealthnutrition/videos

Notice those two videos I have that have close to 800 views? - Thumblink !!! Those were actually topics that a lot of people found relevant (and I plan to make more like that in the future). The rest of it is pretty much just me playing around with editing and testing new tech. I got half of my subs from these two videos. 

Regarding the content itself - as told by others, try to put a little bit more effort into structure. 

> Hook the viewer in with a quick 5 seconds intro. Most viewers are likely to leave within 10 seconds if they don't get hooked. 

Entire channels are catered to this inforation. Do a little bit of research and those subs will come. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

2 hours ago, LSD-Rumi said:

Not just for money, but to protect yourself from being canceled which obviously happened to you.

He was canceled? Sometimes I think you are on crack or something. ?

Edited by StarStruck

Ali Abdaal has some good YouTube advice. Would totally recommend you watch some of his videos on the topic.

One of the concepts he talks about is finding your "unfair advantages". You basically find your strengths and capitalise on the things that give you an advantage over other people. 

https://www.youtube.com/@tommicallef 

"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are." - Joseph Campbell

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

I was never canceled.

Oh, I had a different meaning of canceling in my mind. I meant on average, only 4-5% of your followers watch your content.

55 minutes ago, StarStruck said:

He was canceled? Sometimes I think you are on crack or something. ?

Lol, just an honest mistake :P

@Michael569 @undeather Yep that's me. Funny how you found it that quick, I'm feeling exposed :D Thank you for the feedback.

I recorded it with my iphone. 

I also find it really hard to remember what to say in the middle of recording and find myself freezing. Also a lot of ums and uhs and shifting back and forth. Those are my main bugaboos. Before I record I'm also extremely anxious viewing it as a big deal.

@Michael569 Your channel is great. What editing service do you use?

1 hour ago, Richard Purdy said:

also find it really hard to remember what to say in the middle of recording and find myself freezing. Also a lot of ums and uhs and shifting back and forth. Those are my main bugaboos. Before I record I'm also extremely anxious viewing it as a big deal.

have a set of notes or a screen in front of you - I often have my laptop behind the camera so that I take a quick peak at it when I freeze.  There is nothing wrong with cutting out those ehm and uhms, everybody does that :) I couldn't talk unscripted for 2 minutes straight. It is very hard to be as consistent. 

Maybe some relaxation exercise or a power pose would help you get that confidence. Most people are not great with public speaking so don't worry too much about it. It is a very hard skill to master but it doesn't mean you can't. Maybe just record yourself couple time and then watch it and sart observing certain tendencies (e.g. hunching, lack of hand gesturing, being too stiff etc) 

You're doing great for putting yourself out there, I feel like that's the hardest part - to embrace that fear. 

1 hour ago, Richard Purdy said:

What editing service do you use?

I used Premier Pro, I still pay for the whole Adobe package even tho I'm mostly just using Lightroom and a bit of PS these days. But it is not cheap - if you can get an access to student discount somehow, get that. There are other much cheaper tools out there. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus