Carl-Richard

What geniuses do to have fun in video games (Oldschool RuneScape)

14 posts in this topic

One definition of genius is somebody who has done something that nobody has done before. By this metric, Rendi is certainly a genius. He is behind the Level 3 Combat Fire Cape (also thanks to the friendly competition with Xzact; a testament to the power of "opponent processing"), and now, the Level 3 Combat Infernal Cape.

The former was of course a completely legit means of obtaining the cape, but the latter is full-fledged balls to the wall bug abuse (which considering the game knowledge and effort employed is honestly just as impressive). 

If you're just a causal player from back in the day who hasn't interacted with the game in many years, prepare to not understand a single thing that is being said (in either video, but definitely the last one). Regardless, if you understand the gravity of the achievements in question, the genius is undeniable.

Fun fact: I used to have Rendi's account "Rending" on my friends list back in 2013 and remember exchanging a few PMs with him about obby pures (as I was a member of his obby pure clan). I seem to have these weird connections with famous people (Aurora, Alan Walker and now Rendi), but maybe everybody does to some extent considering it's a kinda broad definition of "connection".

I thought about making a list about geniuses in the OSRS sphere. B0aty comes to mind (he invented or at least popularized the ironman concept which later became its own game mode in tribute to him), Woox (insane PvM feats, holds many world's first records). Other names that come to mind (KempQ, Settled) don't really fit the true genius title (they're more spin-offs on existing concepts and certainly not the progenitors of what they popularized, i.e. variations on the "snowflake ironman": adding more restrictions onto the existing ironman restrictions).

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

TheBynq are the best bugabusers of all time as far as Runescape goes. Disconnecting servers, Invisibility big, item dupes, dungeoneering item smuggling, duel arena wearing weapon despite no weapon rule bug, stealing jagex rotten potato jmod item from jagex mod. The list goes on and on, they did a lot of their bugs by finding "buffer overflows" in the game and using those to stall commands and smuggle area specific effects and other things.

They were not ethical but they were really good bug abusers!

It's the same if you raise your consciousness lvl you can talk about things and say things a normal or spiritual mind won't understand, but ones lsd wears out or you stop surrendering you won't remember much what you said or did. With high consciousness it is even possible to freeze time and many more things, but it requires a lot of purifying and courage

Edited by Jowblob

ONLY LEO IS AWAKE

On 7.8.2023 at 10:21 AM, Asayake said:

TheBynq are the best bugabusers of all time as far as Runescape goes. Disconnecting servers, Invisibility big, item dupes, dungeoneering item smuggling, duel arena wearing weapon despite no weapon rule bug, stealing jagex rotten potato jmod item from jagex mod. The list goes on and on, they did a lot of their bugs by finding "buffer overflows" in the game and using those to stall commands and smuggle area specific effects and other things.

They were not ethical but they were really good bug abusers!

I think I remember watching their videos like 10 years ago.

And then you have Woox xD

I think speedruns can be an interesting example for this. People spend like dozens of years playing a video game again and again, discovering more bugs and exploits that help them win the game faster, some of which take decades to discover because of how specific the conditions for that bug are (like some require you to perform a certain set of actions which will change the games code on the level of individual bits). I think a lot of these people are miserable deep down, I just can't see how playing a single video game for such a long time can be deeply fulfilling, but it's still amazing to watch them put on a masterful performance of a game (thought I often struggle understanding what even is going on haha). I respect their grind regardless.

beep boop

This is a segmented speedrun, meaning that it's actually a group of speedrunners, each with their own sections to complete, switching between each other. They also used console commands to make bhopping (using precisely timed jumps to gain/maintain momentum) easier. It's still one of the most impressive game play videos I've seen. The first few minutes include a lot of waiting, so I put in a time stamp to skip all of that.

Edited by DefinitelyNotARobot

beep boop

21 hours ago, MuadDib said:

Efficient UIM maxing guide

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dJR3Ry44t1QNpVqQ8GOjXsrzAY_I8Nzu3lsW1gtriL4/edit#heading=h.x6nslywu9gpt 

This game mode is fun, so much strategy and planning are needed for everything.

I never made an UIM, but I have like 10 pure accounts and 2 ironmen lol. I just thought about maybe making a F2P ironman (or a non-ironman but from scratch) to relive those nostalgic memories :)

Edited by Carl-Richard

Leo's busy playing Starfield.

No new episode until 2024. 

;) 

Edited by UnbornTao

On 03/09/2023 at 1:35 AM, Carl-Richard said:

I never made an UIM, but I have like 10 pure accounts and 2 ironmen lol. I just thought about maybe making a F2P ironman (or a non-ironman but from scratch) to relive those nostalgic memories :)

F2p UIM takes 100,000 hours to complete. *cracks knuckles*

https://youtu.be/s7Tc71R2OU4?si=LPBlwwNryaTQvptj