Iblitan

Is it possible to make money from home?

15 posts in this topic

Is it possible for me to master a skill like programming then offer it to clients on freelance, fiverr etc. ? I am willing to put effort and time in mastering it. I just want to be able to make a thousand dollars from home because inflation here(egypt) is so high and I have to take care of my family.  I am also a medical student so I don't have time to get a normal job here. Does anybody have experience in freelancing? Please share your thoughts!

Of course

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Also try digital marketing

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

@Iblitan Good choice! There are lots of free quality resources out there for learning coding. Coding boot camps and courses at udemy are also good.

Here is what I found at the forum:

Software Developer, fully remote, hands down. If you have a somewhat logical, problem-solving oriented mind, you can do a day's work in like 2 hours or less and then fuck around while keeping an eye for the occasional unexpected Microsoft Teams call. It's amazing how little it's expected of you as a junior programmer.

Just spend 2-3 months learning the basics of programming (I'd pick Python and Java), find a job (stupid easy to get an entry level IT job in this day and age) and have fun.

During the pandemic I was so addicted to weed I was stoned all day, could barely function, had serious short term memory deficits, yet I was able to keep my remote job without any issues and even be fairly productive. At least my manager seemed to think so.

Plus you get to wake up at 8:59 AM, turn on your laptop and voilà, you're officially at work.

Of course by doing the bare minimum you're not going to get promoted but it will be enough to get by while you cultivate your passions.

Any sites you'd recommend for getting a job out of it?
Also, any recommendations to where to learn python/ Java?

I'd start with Google IT Automation with Python. Great course, great instructors, a complete know-how to become a promising junior Python coder. Doesn't just deal with the code but also practical aspects about working in IT.
I don't have any specific recommendations for the job hunt (I'm in Italy and I don't really know how it works outside of it :P) except making a professional looking LinkedIn profile (make sure to link your Google certification). I get about 10 job offers per month there. There's so much demand for programmers it feels like cheating when compared to the reality of finding a job as a young person in other fields.

If you're looking to become a front end developer having a solid grasp of HTML and CSS is a great place to start. Yes, 2 months or less should be enough for you to become decent at Javascript, Typescript and Angular, granted you are serious and motivated. Following a structured online course is a good idea, even better if there's some sort of certification to show in your resume.

PHP coding pays real well.

Practical steps to become a hireable PHP guy in a month:

During your two off days take some armodafinil and start learning eg. PHP right after waking up. 8 - 12 hours.

If you have zero distractions you can learn the basics, OOP, testing & build a project that could get you hired within a month.

(The project should show that you have a good grasp of object oriented programming  - Abstraction, Encapsulation, inheritance, polymorphism. That you know how to work with eg. Rest API & that your code is clean. Good book for that is Clean Code)

If you're going to go with PHP you should also learn how to work with REST API, since that's what you will probably have to work with.

So basically, cut out all the distractions temporarily (hobbies etc) and just focus on something like this and you could get hired within a month.

Life Purpose journey

Presence. Goodness. Grace. Love.

Here’s some advice from GPT-4. Remember to take what it says with a grain of salt because it’s not God (lol):

Yes, it's entirely possible to make money from home by mastering a skill like programming and then offering it to clients on freelance platforms such as Fiverr, Upwork, or Freelancer. 

There are several programming languages to choose from, each suited to different types of tasks. Python, for instance, is a versatile language often used in data analysis, machine learning, and web development, while JavaScript is a staple in web development. 

As a freelancer, you can set your own rates and work on projects that suit your skills and interests. However, building up a freelance career can take time. You'll need to establish a reputation for good work, and this often means starting with lower rates and working your way up as you accumulate positive reviews and a strong portfolio. 

In terms of balancing freelancing with medical studies, it could be challenging, but with good time management, it's possible. Freelancing offers the flexibility to choose your own hours, but mastering programming and completing client projects will demand significant time and focus. 

Lastly, you may need to invest time into learning about how to effectively present your skills, bid on projects, and communicate with clients. This is a crucial part of freelancing that is often overlooked.

Remember that every freelancer's journey is different. It can be helpful to join online communities related to freelancing or programming, where you can learn from others' experiences and gain valuable advice.

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

Yes absolutely possible although not easy. 

Step one is to build up your career capital, meaning mastering a skill that the market will pay you for.

Also, have realistic expectations. Not saying aim low... just realistic. As a newbie freelancer you're unlikely to generate more than 500-800 per month (on a good month) before you get the hang of marketing, find clients, obtain some word of mouth.

Also, i don't think Fiver and Upwork is the way to go. People go to those places to save money on cheap work. Aim higher.

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

2 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

Also, i don't think Fiver and Upwork is the way to go. People go to those places to save money on cheap work. Aim higher.

What do you think about this reply from GPT-4?:

That's a valid point. It's true that Fiverr and Upwork are often associated with lower rates because they are platforms that attract a large number of freelancers from around the world, which can drive prices down due to competition.

However, it's also worth noting that many successful freelancers have started their careers on these platforms and have used them to build portfolios and client bases. Once you've established yourself, you can choose to continue on these platforms at higher rates or look for clients elsewhere.

Additionally, you may want to consider niche platforms that are specific to programming or the tech industry, such as Toptal or GitHub Jobs, which often offer higher rates. You could also build a personal website to showcase your portfolio and attract clients directly.

Aim high, but remember that starting small isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's a stepping stone to gaining experience, building a reputation, and progressively charging higher rates for your work.

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

@Yimpa that's a good perspective. You can certainly build up a portfolio of positive reviews, the question is, will bunch of Fiverr reviews be enough? 

It's like trying to get a job as sales manager at PWC by working at a grocery store as a cashier - maybe you will but chances are your virtual CV is being downgraded rather than upgraded...i might be wrong so take this opinion with a hefty dose of scepticism...maybe that is indeed a way to go 

I dunno maybe i have a messed up perspective but you're basically competing with folks who can always do it cheaper, faster and for whome those 5$ are actually an entire day's salary. it's a race to the bottom and as westerner you can't win it because your cost of living are exponentially higher than teenagers from developing countries with whome you're competing 

I just think it destroys the creativity and mastery process for many because they constantly have to suck up to clients with cheap mentality looking for cheap and quick work

That being said I don't know what the alternative is as someone who is not that kind of a freelancer. Maybe the other places you mentioned...or aiming higher and creating something that is harder to replicate 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

On 7/12/2023 at 3:05 PM, Iblitan said:

make a thousand dollars from home

I assume per month?

Definitely possible. Cannot tell you how (exactly).
Also most of what you find on the internet to make fast money from home is garbage.

Some ideas and my own freelance experience
But the fact that you're a med student suggests you are educated to some degree. You could leverage that and do online tutoring. Or something creative that's similar. I used to freelance for a company that was digitalizing educational books in an interactive online environment. Then took their idea, changed it a bit, Covid happened, left the company, and then offered my service to local high schools who were panicking.

Also back in 2014 me and a friend owned a YouTube channel making Binaural Beats and made a lot of money from that. But YouTube isn't the easiest platform to make money that easily anymore. I suggest you could try writing about an area of interest on a platform like Medium. You can easily get 100 followers writing about a topic you're interested it. Then in a few months you could earn at least 100/month. Maybe later add some affiliate marketing to the blogs too.

So if you have no experience with freelancing and earning money yet, I suggest you just get some experience. Set low goals first like earning 10/month, then 100/month, then 1000/month.

Stories are made for children to fall asleep, and adults to wake up.

On 7/12/2023 at 9:08 PM, Michael569 said:

i don't think Fiver and Upwork is the way to go

I have the sense these platforms are more useful for people hiring freelancers for their own projects. And not so useful for freelancers themselves.

(I once was such a big nerd about the final episode of an anime not having subtitles I paid someone on upwork 50 dollars to make subtitles for me...)

Edited by ItsNick

Stories are made for children to fall asleep, and adults to wake up.

@Iblitan Yes. Very possible. I've built a pretty solid freelancing business in less than a year on Upwork. You just gotta have the skills that are in demand, and a killer portfolio also helps a ton. 

Have you coded anything yet? If I were you, I would build up some serious coding skills so you can demonstrate to employers what you actually got. You know, set yourself apart, get some good little projects under your belt (maybe for free), and then add those to your portfolio and keep taking steps forward until you land a high-paying, sustainable job. There is basically an endless amount of opportunities with freelancing anything tech-related. You just gotta set yourself apart and show the people hiring that you are the best bet for the skill they are hiring for. 

"So Good They Can't Ignore You" by Cal Newport was a book Leo recommended in the LP course. Not sure if I'm supposed to share that, but that's the key idea here. Hope that helps.

Edited by VictorB02

“The eye through which I see God is the same eye through which God sees me; my eye and God's eye are one eye, one seeing, one knowing, one love.” ― Meister Eckhart,

On 7/12/2023 at 1:08 PM, Michael569 said:

I've landed some serious, high-level, high-paying jobs in the past year on Upwork. It's changed my life.

You just got to avoid the ridiculously low-paying jobs, because it's usually people who are looking to take advantage of naive freelancers who post those. Someone who is serious about their project will almost always pay more, and they will be happy to do so because they aren't trying to take advantage of you.

Edited by VictorB02

“The eye through which I see God is the same eye through which God sees me; my eye and God's eye are one eye, one seeing, one knowing, one love.” ― Meister Eckhart,

@VictorB02 I have spent about 10 hours this week watching and understanding youtube videos about building responsive websites using html and css(no js though), and I am not sure if my method is good or not. I was aiming for offering web design and wordpress services but I am kind of lost on what to do next. Should I learn how to use wordpress first? Hone my design skills(still beginnerish)? Should I learn Sass? Javascript? What should I primarily focus on? I need clarity.

It is possible to master skills autodidactically. You can also take online courses, buy books, research multiple websites, join forums, etc. There are many opportunities for freelancing, and earning thousands of dollars per month is possible.

I understand that going to college to acquire skills is beneficial. Still, every skill depends on how much time you invest and your dedication to continuous learning from various sources and past experiences.

Regarding freelancing, I have been providing writing services in my local language since high school as a side job. I also assisted my friend in starting a business on Fiverr, focusing on graphic design until he earned thousands per month. One of my assistants for this freelance work also continued writing independently and published books with a local publisher.

I have been running an online business from home for around 10 years since I graduated from high school, and I continued my studies at the university when I was 27 years old. Now, my focus is on personal development.

The best tip I can give you for working from home as a freelancer to earn thousands of dollars is to manage your time wisely. From my experience, the most significant challenge does not come from the business methods or marketing, but internally, from ourselves. That is one of the reasons why I switched to personal development. Everybody is different, but that's how I share my thoughts.

On 7/21/2023 at 5:36 PM, Iblitan said:

@VictorB02 web design and wordpress services

Start there. I see those in high-demand on Upwork. Just start. Act. Move. Start taking courses and learning how to actually do it.

Thats what will land your jobs. 

1. Act - Learn

• Take courses on how to code / build websites
  • Hire mentors on how to code / build websites
  • Practice practice practice

2. Experience - Put your new skills to the test

• Code stuff!
  • Build your own websites just to practice
  • Code your own projects just to practice
  • Work for free to build skills

3. Demonstrate - Get hired

• Demonstrate your skills to potential employers looking for freelancers
  • Apply to well paying jobs with your portfolio and proof of work. *Don't sell yourself short and go for super low paying jobs, you'll only be taken advantage of. 
  • If it's on Upwork, go for medium to high paying jobs, but bid LOWER, so you stand out. In the beginning is the hardest because you don't have any past clients, but it is definitely possible. You can do it.

-

Thats the pathway. It's not going to get any more clear than that with freelancing specifically. 

You just gotta start learning and coding and doing! All your success will come from being able to SHOW that you can ACTUALLY DO what you say you can do. Thats how you make the money. Everything else is noise.

Edited by VictorB02