Yimpa

Meta Launches Twitter Rival App “Threads”

49 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

LinkedIn is a resume site. There is zero comparision.

Twitter has bigger job prospects than LinkedIn, which is severely biased to recruiters, ie the corporate. Threads is going exactly the same way, made by the corporate clone zuck himself. You will be allowed to post content that is within the highly curated mould of corporate approval. Anything mildly outside and it's going to be goodbye. That's not a system made for people. 

His entire motto is why innovate when you can imitate. 

Twitter's capacity has so much variability that you give it credit to.

I have 5 accounts on there each with 5 different purposes, one of which is a community that talks about consciousness. 

3 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Lol. Twitter will always remain the public space for the dumbest discussions of zero importance to anyone with 3 brain cells.

That's not a twitter problem. That's a human problem.

You could easily build a good small  community on twitter based on any content, literally any content. And you can attract people of similar calibre.

Twitter offers the best solution as reasonably possible as far as tech is considered. It takes work and lot of blocks, but it can be done. 

Threads is going to be a site for corporate clones. Say something minorly offensive and they will even ban you from threads your connected Instagram accounts, metaverse etc. 

Leo Gura is a time traveller, grew hair, and found his hot-witch girlfriend.

Confirmed!

IMG_1915.jpeg

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

You can have 20 different disagreements of Musk. That's fine. But no one champions free speech as much as Musk. That alone is far more than enough for making twitter a better site than threads.

Freedom is not supposed to be safe space for ideas. 

Threads will give no safety for your ideas, while compromising your economic and social safety.

(They will ban your ideas and come for your identity)

Twitter safeguards your identity and protects your ideas. 

This is as better as free speech could get given the development of human consciousness at this point in time. 

1 hour ago, Bobby_2021 said:

But no one champions free speech as much as Musk.

This is nonsense. Musk is on an ego trip, not actually defending free speech.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Threads is getting quite an attention, it seems. So many people and companies were disgusted with Elon Musk's Twitter, but with a lack of alternatives, they had to stay. For so many was a matter of promotion and business, and hard to let go. The sentiment that I'm hearing is that Zuckerberg is not great, but preferable to Musk, who has been so abhorrent in running the popular social media platform.

It can crush Musk, in fact it should, according to capitalism rules, investors take risks and can win or lose. So now what? Twitter was not financially well before him, and he added 44 billion to the hole. Someone explain to me why Musk should not be bankrupted after this huge failure.

It's also funny how he complains about ex-employees of Twitter he fired getting into Zuckerberg's bus, if they really did. What are they supposed to do according to him? Stay unemployed and die of hunger? Are they not allowed to get new jobs? What is wrong with him? They totally should find another job and offer their knowledge and skills for a wage, not to screw him, but because they need to eat and I don't think food is given for free in the supermarkets in this economy. Is it wrong to find a new job now?

Threads has already hit 100 million users, and is not available in the EU yet for legal reasons.

Threads and Twitter.png

The Threads numbers are sorta fake though. All they are doing is forcing Instagram users to automatically open Thread accounts. This is not at all organic growth.

Edited by Leo Gura

2 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

The Threads numbers are sorta fake though. All they are doing is forcing Instagram users to automatically open Thread accounts. This is not at all organic growth.

Well, I can't say for sure, but where I read the news it says this number is in fact organic demand, here the link.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/07/10/twitter-traffic-is-nosediving-as-metas-threads-hits-100-million-users.html

Time will tell if it success or not, there may be some time when both sites compete. But one has a huge debt and the other hasn't.

24 minutes ago, Hatfort said:

this number is in fact organic demand

Sorry, this is just bad analysis. It's obviously true that Facebook is ramming this Threads platform down people's throats with trickery and manipulation.

It's like some years back when Wells Fargo was caught opening bank accounts for people who never even requested one, just to inflate their quarterly numbers. That's basically what Facebook is doing in order to build a hype train. And most of the tech media is falling for the trick.

There is no way to get 100 milllion subs in a week organically. That's just not a thing. You could be giving away free robot pussy and you would not get 100 million subs in a week.

You gotta be more savvy about the tricks these business pricks use to milk you for money.

Edited by Leo Gura

@Leo Gura If they can overthrow Musk, that’s all that matters.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

4 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Sorry, this is just bad analysis. It's obviously true that Facebook is ramming this Threads platform down people's throats with trickery and manipulation.

Maybe he is, is that not fair game? Okay, maybe not. Zuckerberg owns Facebook and Instagram, they are his assets in social media precisely, so it's understandable he uses them to a degree to promote Threads. Elon did ban links to competitors at some point, which I would also understand, the problem is he announced himself as a freedom of speech absolutist, which doesn't fit with that discourse.

The question is if enough users stay and engage in Threads in the future. My instinct tells me they will, but, as said, time will tell.

46 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

All they are doing is forcing Instagram users to automatically open Thread accounts.

That’s a vibe I get, it won’t last long maybe. I haven’t seen yet anything that is worth making me a account. 

1 minute ago, Juan said:

That’s a vibe I get, it won’t last long maybe. I haven’t seen yet anything that is worth making me a account. 

So you haven't been forced. Well, that's a relief.

11 minutes ago, Hatfort said:

is that not fair game?

I never said it was unfair. I'm just not getting on their fake hype train. There is a huge difference between organic demand vs pumping up of accounts and numbers.

The key question is whether Threads will replace Twitter, and for that to happen will require lots of genuine organic interest, not auto-opening 100 million accounts on people's behalf.

Edited by Leo Gura

24 minutes ago, Hatfort said:

So you haven't been forced.

Not really but when I go to instagram, every now and then I see someone posting about it or a ad for the app. Just people posting about what they have up in their mind! Wow, such innovation like a forum! ¬¬

5 minutes ago, Juan said:

Not really but when I go to instagram, every now and then I see someone posting about it or a ad for the app. Just people posting about what they have up in their mind! Wow, such innovation like a forum! ¬¬

But that's what it's supposed to be, like a place to follow what and who is interesting for you, and read, write, and interact with short messages, replies, and reposts. It's not trying to be something new, it's competing with Twitter for the same slot, no secret.

32 minutes ago, Hatfort said:

It's not trying to be something new

Therefore it’s a silly trend cuz if it wasn’t made by Zuckerberg/Meta then we wouldn’t be having a conversation in the first place. There were already competitors way before this like Bluesky Social and Mastodon, but no one give a damn of course. 

Edited by Juan

5 minutes ago, Juan said:

Therefore it’s a silly trend cuz if it wasn’t made by Zuckerberg/Meta then we wouldn’t be having a conversation in the first place. There were already competitors way before this like Bluesky Social and Mastodon. 

It's not silly, it's business.

Mastodon sucks, it has not a good system to interact in, and an awful uncatchy name. Bluesky is kind of okay, but it's hardly taking off, with still invite-only policy, very slow growth, and the train is not waiting.

Threads has had a good launch, even if it may be a bit inflated, but it's the most likely to attract influencers, celebrities and companies as followers are automatically imported when they join from Instagram. That's a huge advantage for them, and for the platform, because they will bring users. I'm from Europe, so I can't really investigate much, but I've read of celebrities already having big numbers in Threads for this reason.

@Hatfort if you’re enjoying the app that’s fine, will see how long the hype lasts and if will still be relevant. You said it yourself that it isn’t trying anything new, so idk why you think is worth checking out aside of everybody is talking about it. 

Threads does have a chance to eat half of Twitter's business, simply because Facebook can leverage its insanely massive existing userbase to grab a foothold and then pump that up with billions in ads. While Musk is being a cheap bastard Zuck can throw tens of billions at Threads like he did at VR.

Edited by Leo Gura