Rishabh R

Leo, is Cognitive Behavioural Therapy a way to become more resilient and successful ?

16 posts in this topic

Do let me know your thoughts about it and also others.

CBT can be incredibly helpful if your thinking tends towards the negative (pretty much all of us!) 

If your interested in the subject then give it a go you have nothing to lose!! It has been shown to be as effective as medication for the treatment of depression so it is powerful stuff.

It can be done solo there is a lot of literature on the subject but if you have the money you really can’t beat being guided through the process by a trained professional, CBT can be completed in as little as 6 sessions so it can be relatively inexpensive, in fact in the UK it can be gotten for free on the NHS if you speak to a doctor! Obviously that won’t be the case for all countries but there are many website nowadays where you can do video talk therapy which is just as good as face to face!

good luck!

Edited by Pheonix

I haven't done much of it so I shouldn't pass judgment on it.

Its use will probably depend on your stage of development and where you're at in your evolution.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I suppose if a person:

- has a need and an appetite to learn how to have more helpful thoughts; and

- believes that this is, or may be, a key issue for them; and

- will work on themselves (CBT takes work both in and out of sessions); and

- there isn't deeper trauma or other difficulties e.g. relational or personality difficulties that would make acting on the helpful thoughts difficult

then yeah maybe CBT could help with resilience in cognitive tasks and also with success by helping someone to think open-mindedly about challenges and opportunities.

Personally I'm less keen on CBT as I find it a bit shallow and would likely rebel against being told how I should think. I prefer psychodynamic or person-centred therapy but that's just me. 

Edited by Dan502

Profound Familiarity
An Audio Journal

@Rishabh R

On 2023-07-07 at 2:11 PM, Rishabh R said:

Do let me know your thoughts about it and also others.

I've done enough of CBT, and I'd say on my end it's decent and can help improve how you think and how you see yourself, marginally will depend on the quality of the therapy as well, good for learning a bit how you think in patterns.

Give it a go, and tell us how it went!

CBT addresses the symptoms, not the cause. Do something that addresses the cause alongside it.

As someone who's personally skeptic of conventional treatment due to bad experiences, I read a book on CBT and it does have some value.  CBT can touch on mindfulness which was one of my first openers to spirituality.

If it works for you then by all means incorporate it into your day to day life.  The only thing I didn't like was that CBT kept me inside my mind, attempting to solve problems on the same level of the mind.  I had to go meta a bit to realize that sometimes the brain will 'solve' a 'problem' and it can be a bottomless pit.  Psychology seems to have this pitfall where some people continuously race around in the mind and forget that there's a lot of cases where stepping out the mind and simply just being and give massive feelings of bliss and relief.

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

I haven't done much of it so I shouldn't pass judgment on it.

Its use will probably depend on your stage of development and where you're at in your evolution.

I believe this "rewiring of deeply-rooted negative beliefs" that you've talked about in another post, which you'll include in the mind course, is otherwise known as "cognitive restructuring" - a fundamental concept in CBT. You basically just write down the negative belief and replace it by writing down a positive one. Via repetition, you ingrain it more and more, that's the idea. I suppose this is merely child's play in front of the complexity and the practices your course will entail, but it's a start yeah?

Edited by Spiritedness

@Leo Gura it's like reframing a negative situation and seeing it realistically. Like do you remember in Martin Seligman's book learned optimism. In it we change our negative thinking about the situation and tackle it with evidance like narrative changing. By the way how can I overcome adversity @Leo Gura ?

Edited by Rishabh R
Missed

10 minutes ago, Rishabh R said:

it's like reframing a negative situation and seeing it realistically.

I do that all the time automatically without calling it a method.

So @Leo Gura how have been the results . Like are you able to  overcome adversities ? And do negative situations have the potential to fuel positive outcomes ?

Edited by Rishabh R
Missed

8 minutes ago, Rishabh R said:

Like are you able to  overcome adversities ? And do negative situations have the potential to fuel positive outcomes ?

I have done that my whole life. And here we are.

I'm a very positive and hopeful person. Anything else would be delusion.

Edited by Leo Gura

Sorry @Leo Gura to disturb you here but could you tell me that how are the results like are they incredible or bad or neutral? And also like is it key that being optimistic/realistically optimistic in negative situations can improve it and make you thrive ? As there are tons of research on this therapy out there.

I don't think that CBT itself will completely treat any psychological you have, but practicing it absolutely makes a significant positive difference in your mental health and well-being and overall wellness. I've used it a number of times before and it really helped me to manage my anxiety and depression much better and even desensitized a lot of the irrational fears I used to have with talking to other people socially, getting rejected by others including girls, possibly failing at something I deemed important, etc.

Edited by Hardkill

@Rishabh R

7 hours ago, Rishabh R said:

Sorry @Leo Gura to disturb you here but could you tell me that how are the results like are they incredible or bad or neutral? And also like is it key that being optimistic/realistically optimistic in negative situations can improve it and make you thrive ? As there are tons of research on this therapy out there.

That's the power of visualization, positive affirmations and subconscious training. Don't believe me? Imagine you fucking a hot chick, in vivid lively detail. observe how quick your boner stands up, gets excited, over internal images in the mind. That's how powerful a practice this is.

@Danioover9000 haha .Even though I am a virgin I can feel it . Ok thank you 

Edited by Rishabh R