BojackHorseman

I don't resonate with the usual model of success

11 posts in this topic

So I was watching Owen Cook's latest video.

I'm not sure lately how many time I was about to unsubscribe to his YT account.

Partly because the marketing part is annoying (not saying he shouldn't push his product, but sometimes I feel like it's a bit too much and gets on my nerve for some reason), but mostly because he's talking about ten thousands of dollars parties, some sort of value race, etc.

I genuinely learned things from him and there's still even a tiny bit of very interesting thing in his videos, enough to make me keep on watching them, but the kind of stuff I was talking before, I don't resonate with.

Granted, one part of me is in a "loser" mindstate. I was a nerd my whole life, and not even a smart one, just a pop culture/art jack of all trade/master of none.
But even as I get kind of nonchalant towards life these days, which doesn't make me wanna grasp for any kind of success, I'm still wondering if living a life of "parties, money and hot girls" (just quoting the usual here) kind of turns me off because it's stranger to me, or because I've just gaven up on it at some point (just a reminder that I am now over 40).

Is it weird to not want money (well, not much more than enough to keep me afloat)/lots of social interactions/an rich dating life?

I'm no monk either, maybe just very introverted and happy with consuming other's creations. But I was wondering if having some kind of adventurous life was something that actually develops the soul, and if I was missing on it, or if some people were just not meant for this (not in a "you don't have the skill for it" kind of way, more as in "life has many types of roles to fill, and this kind of role is not mine").

Sorry, tired and I'm having a hard time expressing my thoughts in english tonight, but I had to get that out.

Not sure if I'm a quitter that should motivate himself (even to smaller scales, maybe just getting a few more hundred bucks with my art skills for instance woud be enriching to me all the same that it is for people like Owen to swim in million dollar industries and whatnot), or if on the contrary I should stop thinking that maybe I'm missing out on something, and the way for me to live happy is to let go and just keep on floating peacefully with my close ones (and maybe go through the baby road, even if this is a very hard question for me, for various reasons)

It's not weird at all.

Owen is quite an immature person at heart. All PUAs must be to keep doing or teaching pickup.

What you have to understand about Owen is that he's a supernaturally ambitious human. His ambition is off the charts abnormal to the point of being dysfunctional. Owen is psychotically ambitous.

You just lack ambition. Most humans do. This is not bad per se. It's just a personality trait. Chasing down Owen's insane level of ambition is both exhausting and delusional. You don't need that to create a great life.

Of course what Owen considers admirable about typical successful people is a very shallow, laughable, cartoon version of success and happiness. In the end none of that shit matters. He is stuck chasing status.

But underneath Owen's material immaturity is a deeper spiritial set of values such as passion for life, the quest for truth, God, and Consciousness, and personal growth which are the real measures of success. You must learn to see through the immature material parts of Owen's work to get the gold.

What you're missing out on is not million dollar mansions and hot chicks. What you're missing out on is passion for life and making the most of your life. You're missing your full potential for being fully yourself -- whatever that means for you. This is Owen's highest teaching.

You becoming fully yourself does not mean you will chase what Owen chases. You will chase totally different things. You are confusing the content for the structure. Take Owen's structure and replace money, sex, status with God, Truth, art, family, or whatever you want.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

43 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

It's not weird at all.

Owen is quite an immature person at heart. All PUAs must be to keep doing or teaching pickup.

What you have to understand about Owen is that he's a supernaturally ambitious human. His ambition is off the charts abnormal to the point of being dysfunctional. Owen is psychotically ambitous.

You just lack ambition. Most humans do. This is not bad per se. It's just a personality trait. Chasing down Owen's insane level of ambition is both exhausting and delusional. You don't need that to create a great life.

Yeah, not taking away for his many qualities, but the way you describe Owen does seem pretty accurate. Maybe some parts of what he's saying should just catter to specifically ambitious/high energy people.

Clearly I shouldn't be chasing that level of ambition.

Now as for chasing a lower level of ambition (maybe even just personal projects, not chasing money)...that's a more personal question I guess, that only I can answer. But I feel like it could be a good thing.

I did work a bit for some people on some projects at an ultra tiny scale, and it was actually very absorbing and new to me. The fact that I'm asking questions in this regard is probably enough of a sign to tell me that, as much as I genuinely like reading, watching, playing, part of me does need creation. Just need to find out on what level and strike a balance (ADHD makes it hard to only focus on one thing)

Edited by BojackHorseman

2 minutes ago, BojackHorseman said:

Maybe some parts of what he's saying should just catter to specifically ambitious/high energy people.

He's always cattered to ambitious/high energy people. That's his whole niche. Who else would follow his insanity?

Tony Robbins is exactly the same way, which is why Owen adores Tony Robbins. It's raw ambition and high energy.

Edited by Leo Gura

I do not perceive myself as such, but thank you very much, this feels good to hear :D

31 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

He's always cattered to ambitious/high energy people. That's his whole niche. Who else would follow his insanity?

Tony Robbins is exactly the same way, which is why Owen adores Tony Robbins. It's raw ambition and high energy.

I've never watched a Tim Robbins video

But to "who else would follow his insanity"?, I would say, people that had lots of problems socializing, and/or cis men having trouble communicating with the other gender.

He literally unlocked things in me that made me break 30+ years of celibate and virginity. (Edit : well, him and other teachers I was following at the same time I guess)

I think his very outgoing energy balanced something in mine. Granted, I never ended up being some sort of player, but I learned enough to push to cursor a bit more on the "social/talkative" scale, enough for me not be a recluse that was way too stuck in his head to even having small talk (I was talking about women, but some of his advice/videos also help some people getting out of their head and talk more easily)

Edited by BojackHorseman

Owen caters to those most like himself.

I do similar.

Most of his content is just rehashes of the principles he laid out in RSD at home mixed with some mundane topics he talks about now and then. 

@BojackHorseman You should do some inner work. It's probably due to some bad experiences in the past which cause you to dislike interacting with people, dislike taking on issues and preferring to stay at home and relax. You also need to break out of your comfort zone by taking on more tasks and activities. Your ambition will then build from there.

I don't watch all of his videos and yes he can be a bit weird but. 

Ultimately Owen Cook is awesome, I love the guy tbh

He's just so positive & encouraging and regardless of being a bit weird, he's a thousand times better than the average human to me. 

Oh he really is a good human to me, that's for sure.

It's just that you can resonate with some parts/talk in some people, but feel kind of icky about some other parts of what they say.

I just had to remind myself here that it's not because he taught me things and I now carry a bit of himself in me, that I have to try and accept everything he's saying, or try to apply it for yourself.

That's pretty obvious and every smart teacher including himself does remind us not to just take everything they say for granted, but as it is the case for many things, it's easier to think this and say it, but not always to actually apply the advice to yourself.

Just straight to the point, if someone uses another person's ideas of success they won't measure up to it, and it's not just because what one seeks for in life is not what someone else does, which can be a powerful insight in itself.

Genuine success is not something accomplished, it's a state of being.

Of course, I just pointed out the part about using another person's ideas about success...so feel free to disregard mine.