Alex90

Meditation After Reaching Enlightment?

14 posts in this topic

When I was thinking about enlightment yesterday i came upon the question.

Do enlightened persons still meditate every day? 

Enligtment is a truth that can't be communicated. So in the search for the truth you use meditation as tool to get there, right?

So When I get there I wont have to use it any more?

Or we will I forget the truth if I don't meditate regularly?

2 hours ago, Alex90 said:

Do enlightened persons still meditate every day? 

Meditation will not give you enlightenment. No technique will ever give you enlightenment; enlightenment is not technical. Meditation can only prepare the ground. Meditation can bring you to your nature. Once you are ready, it always comes. 

Enlightenment comes when you are not even meditating or waiting for enlightenment. When all your efforts are dropped. 

Enlightened persons don't meditate.

2 hours ago, Alex90 said:

we will I forget the truth if I don't meditate regularly?

There is no question of forgetting the truth, you will become truth.

When Jesus says "I am the truth" he is saying that whosoever attains to "I am-ness" is truth. And this truth is not something philosophical , this truth is existential.

Edited by Prabhaker

@Alex90 After awakening the search is over and a new phase of the "journey" begins. So meditation won't be used for searching anymore. It might be used to ground yourself but also that must be let go of.

@Alex90 it can be found on the sutras... even siddhartha gautama still meditated everyday after realizing truth.

why is that so? because meditation IS enlightenment. dogen zenji said it beautifully: practice and realization are one.

enlightenment is not an intellectual understanding.

there can be intellectual understanding before enlightenment for it opens the mind for the possibility of no-mind.
there can be intellectual understanding after enlightenment, which can be understood as insights that make our life easier.

the ego wants to say i am done with this. i am already enlightened. but saying it is contradictory because there can be no i saying i am enlightened.

in a practical way, enlightenment is the practice of coming back to deep peace of mind. when we say that we're practicing meditation, we're actually practicing enlightenment.

unborn Truth

38 minutes ago, ajasatya said:

even siddhartha gautama still meditated everyday after realizing truth

He meditated just to set a good example to his students.

6 minutes ago, Prabhaker said:

He meditated just to set a good example to his students.

that's your judgment. what i see in every single true master is that they do everything with complete sincerity and presence. meditation becomes delightful. silence becomes a real joy.

unborn Truth

1 hour ago, ajasatya said:

that's your judgment. what i see in every single true master is that they do everything with complete sincerity and presence. meditation becomes delightful. silence becomes a real joy.

It's rather that they ARE that. They don't do anything of it intentionally. Meditation is just what it is. There's no delight for them. If it's joy or pain, it will always be just what they ARE.

6 minutes ago, Ludwig said:

It's rather that they ARE that. They don't do anything of it intentionally. Meditation is just what it is. There's no delight for them. If it's joy or pain, it will always be just what they ARE.

exactly. i didn't mean joy as a bodily pleasure. i meant joy for simply being without resistance.

unborn Truth

@Alex90 Enlightenement gets thrown around a lot. 

There is the truth.

There is a higher level that I can only describe as connection.

The connection is not like a college degree. It is in the now. 

Meditation is a way to maintain the connection.

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

Thx a lot for all the answers!

Have any of "you" in this thread reach enlightment and still meditate?

I'm in the process of post awakening. For me that means deconditioning 28 years of belief based living. So I will continue meditating. I love it. What could be better than just being and exploring the breadth of awareness? If enlightenment = being awareness, and awareness is infinite, how can the exploration ever stop? The question suggests an end goal and attachment to outcome. I am awareness, I am now, I exist to experience, so why wouldn't I focus on experience in the most basic way, which also happens to be the way I initially discovered myself? How can I really know that beliefs aren't dictating reality if I am not taking the time to reinforce what I am by watching the objects I create? 

To me it seems like an unending exploration, and that is incredibly exciting. Meditation has only shifted from process to being what I am as fully as I can. Otherwise I cannot say I know myself to the fullest extent possible.

Also I agree fully with the 24/7 comment. That's good wisdom. 

Edited by Gopackgo

Meditation is the mind training itself. You are just along for the ride.

@Alex90 Some do, and some don't.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.