How to be wise

Comments on the latest blog post (feat AI)

12 posts in this topic

I asked ChatGPT to critique Leo’s latest blog post. Here it is:

1. Generalization: The text makes sweeping generalizations about scientists, universities, and corporations. While it's true that there have been instances of scientific fraud and corruption, it's not accurate or fair to say that all scientists or all scientific research is fraudulent or corrupt. Many scientists adhere to strict ethical guidelines and are committed to the pursuit of truth.

2. Misrepresentation of Science: The text seems to misunderstand the nature of science. Science is a method of inquiry that involves rigorous testing, peer review, and replication of results. While it's true that science is conducted by humans who can be fallible and biased, the scientific method itself is designed to minimize these biases and errors.

3. Funding and Influence: While it's true that funding sources can potentially influence research, many scientific institutions have strict rules about disclosing funding sources and managing conflicts of interest. Moreover, the claim that "most scientists are dirt-poor" is not accurate. While scientists' salaries can vary widely, many scientists are well-compensated for their work.

4. Comparison with Religion: The comparison between science and religion is somewhat flawed. While both are human institutions and can be subject to corruption, they operate on fundamentally different principles. Science is based on empirical evidence and is constantly revised and updated in light of new evidence, while religion often involves beliefs that are held on faith and are not subject to empirical testing.

5. Personal Anecdote: The author's personal anecdote about fabricating data in a school science project is not representative of how real scientific research is conducted. In professional science, fraudulent behavior like this is considered highly unethical and can lead to severe professional consequences.

6. Pessimistic View of Humanity: The text seems to have a very negative view of humanity, suggesting that all humans are "selfish, fearful, greedy, clingy, ignorant, closedminded". This is a very broad and negative generalization that doesn't take into account the complexity and diversity of human behavior.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

4. Is weak from chatgpt. Leo said they have many In common. Of course they are not complete identical..

We need chatgpt 5 for more nuance

Edited by OBEler

I never said all scientists or research is corrupt. What a strawman of my post. To say that something is corrupt does not mean everything within it is corrupt.

Every one of these points misses what I said. I made accurate statements about science, corruption, and human nature.

This is a good example of being so pedantic it makes you dumb. The existence of good science is so obvious it doesn't need to be said.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura But we have many respected journals that won't allow biased or false research to be published. Also, the data needs to be reproduced and verified by other researchers before it is consideredas a fact. So what do you think about this?

1 hour ago, LSD-Rumi said:

@Leo Gura But we have many respected journals that won't allow biased or false research to be published. Also, the data needs to be reproduced and verified by other researchers before it is consideredas a fact. So what do you think about this?

That whole system is corrupted with group-think and dogma.

50% of research fails validation.

It's all biased as hell. Scientists are incapable of being unbiased. They are nothing more than apes in lab coats after all.

Edited by Leo Gura

My father is a professor. He told me so often everyone of the scientists he works with is somehow a criminal. Everyone. 

They manipulate, steal, lie in a professional way. 

It's so sad. I wish I believed him earlier. I have two academic degrees  with good grades, I invested too much energy for nothing . it's all a big scam

31 minutes ago, OBEler said:

it's all a big scam

It's not a scam. It's just corrupt and biased.

Edited by Leo Gura

@Leo Gura it's a scam in terms of how many universe (not all of course) suck you in into their system with false promises.

I talk especially about Business administration (BWL) in germany. Most Professors here teach outdated, unpractical concepts. They will never be used in reality. 95 % of the content is worthless. It's all for companys so that they have more information about you to make better decisions about hiring you based on that. The amount of investment is too high for this. You should develope your skills more effizient than in such an old way and we have year 2023, the tools are already out there. 

Edited by OBEler

You're speaking more about the corruption of universities and academia than science.

@Leo Gura Yeah I mean academica, but the Professors are all involved in science in one or another way. And if the professors are mostly corrupt, well.. 

They are more ignorant than corrupt.

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI