zurew

Extreme WillPower

10 posts in this topic

If you want to do, achieve or improve or participate in anything or if you want to destroy or build anything - you need willpower. The more will you have, the more things you can do.

Without will you can't exert your unique self , you can't get shit done, you can't do spiritual work or any work or activity. - Will is the basis of your life and maybe the basis of life in general, so if you lose all your will, you will eventually die.

On this forum, its very common to talk about that everything is relative, and that nothing is inherently meaningful, but more like you give meaning to things or you project meaning onto things. That could make it so, that you lose drive to do anything, because why would you do anything if objectively everything is meaningless? What can give you drive to improve yourself or to get shit done, or to dive deep into your life purpose or to do spiritual work in general?

If you guys know any techniques or have knowledge(scientific and or spiritual) or can give advice about how to elevate willpower (the ability to consciously move towards wherever you want and or to do and achieve whatever you want), then please list it here.

Im not talking about just mere motivation (because that comes and goes), but about things like how to do meaning making (consciously creating meaning in order to do something) or how to find deep meaning in whatever you want to do (finding deep drive to do something and to move towards something).

It could also be about tapping into something very spiritual and deep that could provide deep drive.

Willpower is directly controlled by god. There's nothing you can do. It's all destiny.

8 minutes ago, Holykael said:

Willpower is directly controlled by god. There's nothing you can do. It's all destiny.

Do not speak for other people. This is a simple example of someone taking simple responsibility. Unlike you who is completely addicted to their suffering as an escape mechanism and blames everyone and everything else possible before doing a single ounce of self-reflection.

You can't consciously create meaning, what you find meaningful is entirely unconscious. Things you find deeply meaningful are the guide to your happiness. So you have to find that internal motivation within. There is no technique that I can use to motivate me to become a professional football player. It would be practically impossible to rewire my mind to that extent. Deep meaning lies in the soul.
If you've got no motivation to do excellent work or go regularly to the gym - go within and find a good reason to propel you. You can also find out that you've got no good reason to go to the gym beyond patching up insecurities - that's what happened to me at least.

1 hour ago, zurew said:

If you guys know any techniques or have knowledge(scientific and or spiritual) or can give advice about how to elevate willpower (the ability to consciously move towards wherever you want and or to do and achieve whatever you want), then please list it here.

Honesty and clarity about what it is that you REALLY want.

The logic here is as follows. Value and Purpose are functions of Survival (some argue that Meaning is as well, but I'm more of the opinion that it is rather a function of Appreciation and Love; but that's besides the point here) and so only apply in our relative domain. But, in this relative domain, they ALWAYS do apply: you always feel (and, indeed, are) incomplete in some sense - and deep down you know in which. So, there is ALWAYS something that you REALLY want.

Apathy or laziness i.e. "the lack of willpower", as some wise man once defined it, is "a means of protecting oneself from useless labor". We usually want more than one thing, and sometimes those things are partially conflicting. This, along with the lack of clarity about your priorities (what you want the most) may result in the paralysis by analysis, when the mind doesn't see the clear and obvious course of action - and so protects itself from potentially wasteful activity.

Leo's Life Purpose course is heavily based on the idea of really looking inside and feeling what you truly, deeply authentically want. Not some ideas about what's good and what's not which someone else imposed on you - but truly your own. If you think about it, this IS the last resort and the ultimate authority.

There is also this simple technique from a somewhat popular psychologist Mikhail Labkovsky that amounts to strictly observing the Principles: 1) Do only what you DO want; 2) Don't do what you DO NOT want; 3) Say explicitly and at once if you do not like something. There are 3 more principles to the method, but they are unrelated here. If you follow this diligently for some time, you will develop a feel of what you want authentically, and what you previously wanted neurotically; once this distinction is clear enough, the questions of "motivation" sort themselves out.

There is also the hormonal aspect to willpower; I'm sure @Schizophonia will tell you all about it if you ask nicely, he is the Walter White of the forum.9_9

Or Andrew Huberman: Link 1, Link 2.

Or, heck, even Alex Becker: Link 1, Link 2, Link 3, Link 4 (especially). Those are actually the good ones, no business mindset or nofap talk, straight to the core.

You are going to do endlessly whatever your dopamine triggers are attached to. You are a very simple, dumb little creature: all you need is a trail of little treats with your logical goal at the end of it. - Alex Becker

Edited by WeCome1

@WeCome1 Thanks for the detailed and well thought out response!

@allwins777 Thanks for the contribution!

1 hour ago, Holykael said:

There's nothing you can do

Im not subscribed to that idea.

Nothing sharpens will so much as suffering.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

learn true concentration, for example sit and gaze at a flower for increasingly long periods

this is the superpower for taking change of life, you have to tame the mind

the book The Mind Illuminated focuses on this

@zurew if you're having problems doing the difficult things in your life because you're having negative feelings about it then you need to sit with those feelings to develop some equinamity to them. 

12 hours ago, allwins777 said:

You can also find out that you've got no good reason to go to the gym beyond patching up insecurities - that's what happened to me at least.

Similar thing happens to me. Main reason I wanna be super strong and athletic is so that I can be very violent... I constantly find myself in the middle of conflicts because people are retarded and give you shit for the slightest of things and I'm not gonna bend over to make them feel comfortable because it's not like they would ever do the same for me. But at the same time, I'm not big or physically strong so I have to be careful. Case in point, if they knew I could rip their faces and tear their limbs off like a chimpanzee they would keep quiet and I could finally have the peace I deserve.