Jannes

Can you recommend a book for psychedelic newbies?

7 posts in this topic

My father just started his pension and his birthday is may first. I want to give him a book about psychedelics. He has a relaxed lifestyle and I think psychedelics could be an incredible addition to his life if he wants to explore them. Can anybody recommend a book that gives a good introduction into the topic, which outlines risks and chances and which can spark interest? It's important that it's not too woo-woo because my father is relatively scientifically oriented but it also shouldn't be some perfectly materialistical-paradigm-implemented boring af Sam Harris book.

@Jannes Such persons, especially old persons are close minded and savety oriented and also mental not flexible. I think bringing him to psychedelics will be very very difficult.

If he can read english, there could be some books. In germany not so..

13 hours ago, acidgoofy said:

How to change your mind by Michael Pollan. I haven’t read it but everyone says it’s great for newbies. Also available in german 

Strongly seconded! 

Also:

• PiHKAL (and also TiHKAL, the second book) by Alexander & Ann Shulgin, the great chemist, who discovered 2C-B, and his wife. Essentially an experience report of how he synthesized and discovered a lot of novel compounds and then tested them on themselves under scientific conditions and later together with their friends.
  • LSD My Problem Child by Albert Hofmann, who first synthesized and tested LSD on himself. How that all went down and how LSD later turned from a wonder drug to his problem child, when it hit the streets and got some really bad press.
  • Drug Use For Grown Ups by Dr. Carl Hart, a scientist who researched the effects of drugs in humans and how he turned from an opponent of drug use to an advocate of the responsible integration of drug use into ones life and society at large. He dispels a lot of common myths surrounding drugs and offers a fresh and more unbiased outlook on the subject and reports on his experience with all kinds of drugs. (This is less about psychedelics and more about drugs in general, but their use is also part of the book)
  • The Way of the Psychonaut by Stanislav Grof M.D., whose life's work is about using psychedelics and other ways of reaching higher states of consciousness to work on trauma. This book (volume 1+2) is not only about psychedelics but also about Holotropic Breathwork and traumas on a personal, perinatal (birth trauma) and transpersonal level. It's essentially a summary of his whole work written by himself in the late years of his life.

Those are just the ones off the top of my head.

Edited by vibv

The Secret of this Universe is You.

my music

@Jannes

I'm currently reading "LSD psychotherapy" from Stanislav Grof (available in German).

It's an amazing book. It outlines all risks (and potential complications) and benefits of the therapeutic use of lsd and thus psychedelics in general.

It's scientific but also touches on the transcendental.

I've also read "the way of the psychonaut" by the same author, which is mind-blowing, but contains more "woo woo" stuff and is much thicker (2 books of 350+ pages).

Lsd psychotherapy outlines a process of transformation going from the biographical level to the perinatal (birth related) to the transpersonal level (like past life experiences etc).

Of course it's a bit unfortunate that it has "psychotherapy" in the title, like you're suggesting to your father that he needs therapy.

But an amazing read for sure!

@Jannes

You mentioned how your father is scientifically minded.

The first book that came to mind for me is Entheogenic Liberation: Unraveling the Enigma of Nonduality with 5-MeO-DMT Energetic Therapy by Martin W. Ball, Ph.D. 

Dr. Ball’s framework is that of what he calls “The Entheological Paradigm.” It is a philosophical framework that focuses on the use of entheogens, or substances that generate the experience of god within, as a means of exploring consciousness, spirituality, personal growth, and understanding and integrating these experiences into one’s own life. While it recognizes that entheogens can be powerful tools for personal growth and spiritual exploration, it also acknowledges the risks and potential dangers associated with their use. It emphasizes the importance of responsible use and proper preparation, including setting intentions, creating a safe and supportive environment, and working with experienced guides or facilitators. The entheological paradigm also acknowledges the potential for entheogens to facilitate healing and transformation on both an individual and collective level. It encourages individuals to approach these experiences with openness, curiosity, and reverence, and to integrate the insights gained into their daily lives.

The Entheological Paradigm is a complete analysis of reality, of the integrated and interrelated expressions of a unitary energy being - otherwise known as God.

Dr. Ball’s focus is leaned more towards 5-MeO-DMT … however, his framework with entheogens can be applied when working with any psychoactive compound. I’m so incredibly grateful I read this book early on and wasn’t washed into all the spiritual woo-woo and ego-projection that is present in the psychedelic community at large. 

"It is from my open heart that I will mirror you, and reflect back to you all that you are:

As a being of love, of energy, 

of passion, and truth."