Magnanimous

How to memorize books where all the information is stuff to be applied?

7 posts in this topic

Most self books are 10% techniques are 90% examples, but some are 10% examples and 90% examples, like Just Be Glad, and Neville Goddard's tomes.

How do I go about memorizing books like that?

One idea I have is applying as much of the book as I can at one period of time so I can let it assimilate into my brain through action, then memorize another section through that process. Along with your answers, what do you think of that strategy.

Edited by Magnanimous

Absorb what is useful, discard what is not, what is relevant will stick, what is not, will not.

As above so below, as within so without.

You take only what it applys to you and how it will work in your life, memorizing the whole thing is useless...i was like that, i needed to know every detail from the author to make sure im good,its not like that, you just take what you can apply in your life and no book can tell you that...

Edited by NoSelfSelf

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

Write down your notes and then do a summarized version. Next you write a book review and also invite others to talk about the book with you.

5 hours ago, Magnanimous said:

One idea I have is applying as much of the book as I can at one period of time so I can let it assimilate into my brain through action, then memorize another section through that process. Along with your answers, what do you think of that strategy.

I would expand on that and say that you could spend 50% of your reading time doing the excercises from the specific book and only read further when you finished the tasks on the current page.

You could use the remaining 50% to read another book so you dont feel like you are reading this one too long.

If you read for an hour a day you might want to bump it up to 90 minutes, so you spend 45m on each. 

Treat the book like a course instead of your usual reading time.

6 hours ago, Magnanimous said:

One idea I have is applying as much of the book as I can at one period of time so I can let it assimilate into my brain through action, then memorize another section through that process. 

You already know the greatest technique for this and have the answer. Your task is to stop wasting time on a forum asking for advice on a question you already know the answer to. 

Maybe we should shove the culmination of multi-millennia old insight up our asses instead. 

have 10 books on the go, when you reach point where you need to implement, leave it and go to the other 9

dont come back til you have implemented it ... i have some books i have not touched for a year because of this but will get there at some point