Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Magnanimous

Will ChatGPT replace creative writers?

9 posts in this topic

Hello, aspiring creative writer here. Not sure if I should make it my life's work because I haven't done any formal work yet on figuring out my life purpose - I'm still doing some fundamental personal development like eliminating procrastination - but it's high on my list.

When I say replace creative writers, I mean do all the writing for them, and we do all the creative directing.

I also have another question, and I might post more on the forum too. Here goes:

Because I'm not certain if it will replace writers, should I start learning writing skills anyway? What if I'm midway through mastering the craft/published author when ChatGPT or a similar application does replace me? What do I do then. I feel that I could use my already gained technical skills to some degree to help this new method of writing but idk...

It will replace you very soon if you don't adapt to it. 

All good art has the quality of wholeness, where every aspect of the work is there to intensify the work's wholeness. 

The issue with most current AI-generated art is that it often has the appearance of very whole work, but when you look at the details, you will have lots of inconsistencies and noise that don't intensify the wholeness of the work.  Of course that is the case, because the AI doesn't have a holistic approach to creating the work, it is diffusing and mixing results based on previous data. 

So even though AI will get very good at making art, better than most humans in fact, it will however not produce a masterpiece by itself. A masterpiece where no aspects of the art are unnecessary and every detail is filled with meaning, love, and spiritual intuition; requires the artist to have a clear vision of the wholeness of the work and make every decision based on that wholeness, which AI does not have the contextual abilities to do so, at least for now.   

Even if one day it can do it, great art is not based on objective qualities, but on subjective perspectives and experiences.   

If you are smart you will adapt it to your work, and use it to help you make the most whole work possible. You can use it to create better work faster, to the point where you can out-compete those who only use AI and those who don't use AI. The Ai can do the hard human work of making variations and testing ideas very easily and fast. And the human can look through the results, pick the most whole ideas, remove the noise, and polish the work. 

You'll be able to iterate extremely fast with AI, but still, keep the creative vision so that everything is coherent and whole.   

In the future, the artists that survive will probably be those who not only have mastery over the artistic medium but also the ability to use AI to maximize their creative process. Non-artists who use AI will only create mediocre work, and artists who don't use AI will create good work but not as fast or whole as those who do use AI.  

You should start mastering your craft, and learn to work with AI at the same time. 

Most people think AI is easy to use, but it actually takes a lot of skill to give the perfect prompt and get the perfect result for your needs. The ability to come up with good prompts is a skill that needs to be mastered as time goes on. So you should start now. 

You should also use AI to master your craft faster, Gerenaltive AI has all of the human knowledge combined, use it to iterate, learn, research, and create. 

I think the best you can do is to learn about writing and at the same time learn prompt engineering (how to use prompts the best and most efficient way to get what you want from the AI). 

If you learn about writing more and more, you will be able to use that knowledge to ask the right questions to the AI and to specify the needs and the tasks that the AI will need to do for you, and you will automatically become a better prompt engineer as well. The more knowledge you have about a topic or a concept (in this case about writing), the deeper questions you can ask and the more you can specify what tasks the AI will need to do.

Being more educated about writing will be what will set you apart from other people who are not educated but are using AI to write things for them.

Edited by zurew

Being a good creative writer is less about the skill of writing and more about knowing how to craft a compelling story. Storytelling and drama. That's where the real art is at.

I doubt AI will replace serious stroytellers any time soon.

Follow your passion. At this point theoretically any job can be replaced by a good enough AI. You can't let that dampen your motivations. The skill of writing is very useful even if you don't end up a full time writer. That skill is useful in many careers.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Well, I asked chatGPT and it said:

"ChatGPT and other language models like it are highly advanced tools that can assist writers in various ways. However, I do not believe that they will replace creative writers. While language models can generate content and even mimic writing styles, they lack the ability to think critically, feel emotions, and draw on personal experiences and perspectives that are essential in creative writing.

Creative writing is a highly complex and subjective art form that requires imagination, intuition, and a deep understanding of human nature. A language model like ChatGPT can help with tasks such as generating ideas, editing, and even providing inspiration, but it cannot replace the unique voice and creativity of a human writer.

Furthermore, writing is not only about the end product, but also about the process of creation. Writing is a deeply personal and therapeutic act that can help individuals explore and express their thoughts and emotions. While a language model can assist with technical aspects of writing, it cannot replicate the personal journey of self-discovery and growth that comes with creative writing.

In summary, ChatGPT and other language models are valuable tools that can assist writers in various ways, but they cannot replace the unique creativity, imagination, and human experience that is at the heart of creative writing."

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

3 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

At this point theoretically any job can be replaced by a good enough AI

This is an answer for every one of these “Will AI” or “is AI” threads. Even AI starting to program itself isn’t far stretched at this point, which gets rid of our initial assumption that programming is the only thing that’s safe or future proof, nothing is.

When people ask “will AI replace us?” What they mean is, all of us. Not just writers and digital artists :D

Point is, its dumb to discourage yourself because A.I has a shot at replacing you. @Magnanimous

Watch these Nihilists stop saying “oh it doesn’t matter when the sun will explode” and start saying “oh it doesn’t matter when AI will replace us anyway” ?

Edited by MarkKol

It will make it more accessible for your average person, but I'm not sure if it will replace it entirely. If you're truly a creative person then why not use that creativity to find ways to incorporated AI into your creative process? Don't see yourself as a creative writer. See yourself as an ARTIST! Creativity is what matters first and foremost. And how you express that creativity isn't so much about the tools that you use, but how you use them. It's not about being a writer, a musician, a painter, or whatever, but about how you can do what you do creatively. A creative artist will find creative ways to use tools such as AI. And AI has a lot of potential for creative work as it's actually able to be creative itself. Some of the stories I had ChatGPT write were actually really good stories! And now imagine how you could transcend creative writing entirely in the future with the help of AI. What if there will be an AI that let's you create entire short films? You could use your understanding of creative writing to create your own movies! That would allow you to expand your artistry into dimension that wouldn't have been possible for you otherwise. You could create an entire show from home. No more studios. No need for a big budget. Non of that!

That is one of the paths I see AI taking. Whether it will actually take that path isn't clear to me.

Edited by DefinitelyNotARobot

beep boop

ai curates the past, i creates the future

end of

it's seed, i'm fruit

ai is my co-pilot in this, what it gives me is its end and that end is my beginning

Edited by gettoefl

I do find it confusion. These AI are creativity video games, amazing art, have become experts in psychology, coding, law, etc 

It’s not clear what it will change. But, it is clear that learning to use the AI, and also developing your own intelligence and learning to do deep work will be important. 

speaking broadly about every information or knowledge based industry 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"