LSD-Rumi

How to raise a cat if you are vegan?

35 posts in this topic

PETA site says cats can be vegan too like dogs but I find this absurd.

Edited by LSD-Rumi

A new paradox arises xD

Vegan meat? That would be an expensive ass cat. 

That cat will be filling it's stomach with meat no matter what your diet is.

Animals don't want to bend to our "moral or ethical" principles.

Edited by MarkKol

From what I know cats must eat meat. Or cat food that contains meat. But usually it contains the leftovers of the meat industry, parts of the animals that otherwise would be thrown to the garbage anyway. But instead they are used as cat/dog food. It's not like those animals were killed on purpose for cats, they were killed for humans, so it doesn't matter whether you buy cat food or not, if you choose not to buy it for your cat because it contains meat, know that animals wouldn't be killed less because you didn't buy it.

Let Love In

LOL, now vegans have plants as pets...... AND THEY EAT THEIR PLANTS!!!??

Reader's Digest

https://www.rd.com › ... › Gardening

Plants Are the New Pets: Why Houseplants Are Better Than Dogs

Oct 26, 2022 — The majority of respondents in a recent poll agree that plants are the new pets. This

Edited by Devin

40 minutes ago, Lila9 said:

From what I know cats must eat meat. Or cat food that contains meat. But usually it contains the leftovers of the meat industry, parts of the animals that otherwise would be thrown to the garbage anyway. But instead they are used as cat/dog food. It's not like those animals were killed on purpose for cats, they were killed for humans, so it doesn't matter whether you buy cat food or not, if you choose not to buy it for your cat because it contains meat, know that animals wouldn't be killed less because you didn't buy it.

It makes the meat industry more profitable, ergo meat cheaper, ergo more people eat meat.

5 minutes ago, Devin said:

It makes the meat industry more profitable, ergo meat cheaper, ergo more people eat meat.

I don't think that meat is cheaper becauae it sells pet food. It's cheaper because the animals in the meat industry are fed with cheap and low quality food.

Let Love In

Just now, Lila9 said:

I don't think that meat is cheaper becauae it sells pet food. It's cheaper because the animals in the meat industry are fed with cheap and low quality food.

The more profit in the industry the more competition, the more competition the lower the price.

8 minutes ago, Devin said:

The more profit in the industry the more competition, the more competition the lower the price.

There is very little competition in the meat industry from what I know. Yes, people may buy more meat because it's cheaper, but it's cheap not because of the pet food. It's cheap because the costs of producing meat are lower than ever with the fast industrious (and cruel) methods that are used in the meat industry.

@LSD-Rumi Maybe do a research about puting a cat on a vegan diet.

I think that this article might be helpful:

https://www.livekindly.com/vegan-diet-cats/

Let Love In

4 minutes ago, Lila9 said:

There is very little competition in the meat industry from what I know. Yes, people may buy more meat because it's cheaper, but it's cheap not because of the pet food. It's cheap because the costs of producing meat are lower than ever with the fast industrious (and cruel) methods that are used in the meat industry.

@LSD-Rumi Maybe do a research about puting a cat on a vegan diet.

If there wasn't competition prices would go up, they're not saints or charities.

11 minutes ago, Lila9 said:

Maybe do a research about puting a cat on a vegan diet.

It looks like cats can be vegan with added amino acids and minerals, interesting.

8 minutes ago, Devin said:

If there wasn't competition prices would go up, they're not saints or charities.

I read that in the US, more than 80% of the meat industry is controlled by 4 companies alone. 

For me it sounds like a monopoly.

I don't know about other countries though. 

Let Love In

Guys, please dont torture your cats. It goes against the principles of veganism to force feed a carnivore animal vegan diet.

If it's that important to you, just buy a rabbit instead.

Or you can get a rescue cat from a shelter instead. Because it would eat meat until it's death anyway.

37 minutes ago, Something Funny said:

@Lila9 most processed pet food is really low quality and causes all sorts of illnesses, including cancer.

Don't you think that given the condition and the production methods of the unprocessed meat today, can't it also be harmful? 

Let Love In

57 minutes ago, Lila9 said:

Don't you think that given the condition and the production methods of the unprocessed meat today, can't it also be harmful? 

Probably still less harmful. Pet food has basically all the same negatives of meat from a grocery store baked into it (antibiotics, animal eating random crap, being kept in horrible conditions, etc.) plus much lower quality standards and all the additional stuff that's added in the production process.

I guess you could get some high quality meat and eggs either from smaller local suppliers or some brands that sell that kind of stuff if you really care.

Edited by Something Funny

@Lila9 my logic is that getting a pet is something that you by choice, nobody makes you. You can't even get accidentally pregnant with a pet like you could with a child.

So if this is your own choice, you might as well approach it responsibly and do your best.

And I understand that sometimes you feel like you really want to have a pet but might not be able to provide the best conditions for it. I feel like that myself sometimes. I still think that the best decision is to avoid getting one if that's the case. Or get a pet that you are able to take care of.

Because it's not like you can only get a cat or a dog. There are also rabbits, hamsters, rats, fish, parrots, etc. Like seriously, if you are vegan, why not get yourself a rabbit? They are cute as hell, you can still play with them and cuddle them, and it's much easier to feed them.

Or a parrot. Parrots are really cool, be cause they can be very smart and you can teach them to do all sorts of things. And if you raise them properly they will let you to pet them, rub their head, will sit in your shoulder, etc.

Edit:

Look at this, this is the cutest thing I've ever seen

Edited by Something Funny

15 hours ago, Something Funny said:

Probably still less harmful. Pet food has basically all the same negatives of meat from a grocery store baked into it (antibiotics, animal eating random crap, being kept in horrible conditions, etc.) plus much lower quality standards and all the additional stuff that's added in the production process.

What about a premium quality pet food? There is a difference between low quality pet food and high quality pet food.

Low quality pet food usually contains corn and flour in the first ingredients, less meat and some artificial colors and flavor additives. 

And more high quality pet food contains meat in the first ingredients while the rest ingredients are high quality ingrediands like eggs, apples, pears, sweet potatoes, blueberries, etc. without artificial color and flavor additives. 

Of course in both cases we talk about leftovers from the meat industry, parts that humans don't eat or aren't good enough to put on sell (but good enough for pets to eat).

I guess you could get some high quality meat and eggs either from smaller local suppliers or some brands that sell that kind of stuff if you really care.

From vegan pov, from a wider perspective, it doesn't make sense to kill on purpose many animals only to support one pet, especially if the pet can live and thrive without much meat or any. Like dogs. And apperantly cats either. But it requires some understanding of food in order to give the right diet. Same like with humans. 

I say what it's like from a vegan pov, and even for vegan pet owners there is no one right answer. 

@Lila9 my logic is that getting a pet is something that you by choice, nobody makes you. You can't even get accidentally pregnant with a pet like you could with a child.

So if this is your own choice, you might as well approach it responsibly and do your best.

And I understand that sometimes you feel like you really want to have a pet but might not be able to provide the best conditions for it. I feel like that myself sometimes. I still think that the best decision is to avoid getting one if that's the case. Or get a pet that you are able to take care of.

Because it's not like you can only get a cat or a dog. There are also rabbits, hamsters, rats, fish, parrots, etc. Like seriously, if you are vegan, why not get yourself a rabbit? They are cute as hell, you can still play with them and cuddle them, and it's much easier to feed them.

Or a parrot. Parrots are really cool, be cause they can be very smart and you can teach them to do all sorts of things. And if you raise them properly they will let you to pet them, rub their head, will sit in your shoulder, etc.

It's not always something that people plan. You can be in a situation (happened to almost everyone at least once in their life, I bet) when you find a sick poor or dying stray cat or dog and no one wants it, and maybe you know that you can give it, not necessary a luxurious, but a better life than the animal rescue shelter who even might kill the animal if they won't find them home soon (most of them). There are bunch of homeless cats and dogs and too little people to adopt them. The most humane thing to do is not to buy any pet but to rescue them and give them home and a safe place to live. Cats and dogs are domesticated animals who can't survive in wild alone. Unlike other animals like parrots and rats.

Look at this, this is the cutest thing I've ever seen

It's cute won't deny.

Edited by Lila9

Let Love In