Nilsi

"I'm generally opposed to wisdom" - Slavoj Zizek

37 posts in this topic

Zizek embodies everything that's great about post-structuralism - no one plays with cultural relativity more masterfully than him -- and no intellectual is even remotely as funny as him :D

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

I think everyone would agree that the opposite of wisdom is foolishness. Well, maybe except the fools.

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

1 hour ago, Gesundheit2 said:

I think everyone would agree that the opposite of wisdom is foolishness. Well, maybe except the fools.

I think everyone would agree that perspectivalism and the demonstration of relativity, concerning cultural norms and customs, is very insightful (and most certainly funny) - well, maybe except closed-minded dogmatics whose intellectual posturing is threatened by serious inquiry and deconstruction.

Edited by Nilsi

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

28 minutes ago, Nilsi said:

I think everyone would agree that perspectivalism and the demonstration of relativity, concerning cultural norms and customs, is very insightful (and most certainly funny) - well, maybe except closed-minded dogmatics whose intellectual posturing is threatened by serious inquiry and deconstruction.

Actually, multi-perspectivalism is rare. Most people are highly dogmatic and cannot entertain two different perspectives and will find that kind of thing insulting and offensive, maybe even contradictory and illogical.

And despite the massive passive aggression, I'm still not willing to engage seriously with a content or a person that downplays wisdom. I don't even understand how people take that fool seriously.

5 minutes ago, Gesundheit2 said:

I'm still not willing to engage seriously with a content or a person that downplays wisdom. I don't even understand how people take that fool seriously.

*Whoooosh*

^ the sound the joke made as it went over your head.

@Nilsi Excuse my bias. I'm generally opposed to foolishness.

:P

Love is evil!

I think it would be a compliment for Zizek if I say he's a fool?

26 minutes ago, vladorion said:

I think it would be a compliment for Zizek if I say he's a fool?

He's probably generally opposed to compliments.

For me it is really pointing to being opposed to bad wisdom.

The examples he provided are just simple one sided wisdoms. But yellow stage wisdom could take all of those into account. Which he is kinda doing. Even being opposed to Wisdom is a kind of Wisdom.

Wisdom is fundamental property of Consciousness, you cant just dismiss it.

But still he has interesting prrspective/wisdom.

In the Vast Expanse everything that arises is Lively Awakened Awareness.

The fundamental problem with these philosophers is that they play word games and get no closer to understanding reality.

That's what I'm generally opposed to.

Zizek speaks clever things but gets no closer to God.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

8 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

The fundamental problem with these philosophers is that they play word games and get no closer to understanding reality.

That's what I'm generally opposed to.

Zizek speaks clever things but gets no closer to God.

Thats fair.

Hes good for making you question your cultural and ideological presuppositions, but hes not really affiriming anything of substance (besides that we should start a revolution) and certainly nothing Divine.

11 minutes ago, Nabd said:

@Nilsi

Where did he say we should start a revolution?

I think zizek is generally very pessimistic about any kind of revolutions or protests, like he once said that he is willing to sell his mother to slavery just to see V for vendetta 2 to see what will they do after the protests, because he believes they will do some other corrupt bullshit that isnt much different than the previous regime.

"The only way to truly change the world is to make a break with it, to totally reject the existing order and its values, and to embrace a new mode of social organization that is based on equality, freedom, and solidarity."

"Revolution is not just a change in the system, it is a change in our very way of life, a break with the old order and the creation of something radically new."

"The true task of revolution is not just to overthrow the old order, but to create a new one, a society that is truly free, equal, and just."

"Revolution is not just about changing the structure of society, it's about changing the way we think and feel about ourselves and our place in the world."

"Revolution is not a one-time event, it is an ongoing process of struggle and transformation, a constant effort to create a better world."

"The point of revolution is not just to seize power, it is to fundamentally transform the social relations that underlie power itself."

I am willing to sell Zizek's mother into slavery just to see how he would actually govern.

Edited by Leo Gura

3 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

I am willing to sell Zizek's mother into slavery just to see how he would actually govern.

xD I dont think he has a plan for that.

He would probably say "whatever comes out of revolution is better than accepting ruling ideology."

3 minutes ago, Nilsi said:

I dont think he has a plan for that.

And that is why people like him are not in power. Say what you will about Putin, at least he has a clear plan and vision, and he keeps order.

Edited by Leo Gura

18 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

And that is why people like him are not in power. Say what you will about Putin, at least he has a clear plan and vision, and he keeps order.

As it should be. Zizek is a critic, not a leader. 

1 minute ago, Nilsi said:

Zizek is a critic

No, he's just a person who is stuck in chronic criticism that turned into a survival strategy. And like most other post-modernists, his philosophy is fruitless. He has no will or initiative. And he is toxic/destructive/pure negative. He does not teach you how to jailbreak your mind, because he has not done that in the first place. He is stuck in his mind, playing games, coming up with nonsense and equating that with wisdom.

That is why hardcore relativism is a midway point between naive realism and pragmatism. You get hung up in the fact that there aren't absolutes (because you've discovered pluralism and relativism), and absolutes is what the naive realist wants, and you want to critique that, but you sort of forget that it's possible to be pragmatic and choose something that works relatively well, or is relatively wise. But you can't go back to absolutism, so the logical choice is to marry pragmatism with pluralism: take a meta-theoretic approach, see common trends in a large selection of wisdom traditions, and boil it down to the basics (find the "systemic" principles). That is how you re-introduce order and hierarchy in a meta-modern framework, and when it comes to wisdom, that is where concepts like holism and balance come in.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.