CARDOZZO

How to Find My Life Purpose

11 posts in this topic

In this video, Brendan Lea (Peter Ralston's Workshop Assistant) talks about creating a life purpose and not finding one.

What are your thoughts on that? Do we have a specific life purpose or we have to create one from scratch?

Create it 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

@CARDOZZO Personally, my theoretical belief is that once one processes a large amount of their traumas then they get a lot of access to their authentic self and trust in their intuition. And from there one's life purpose becomes relatively straightforward.

I do think its important to note that I'm currently in the process of trying to process a lot of my traumas. So I'm not currently speaking from direct experience.

So, I'd say I'm more on the side of 'finding it'. Though you sort of have to create the conditions for finding it through trauma work.

Edited by Ulax
Spelling

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback

@CARDOZZO Hmmm, I'm sort of wary of giving a specific pointer because I don't know where your psyche is at currently, and I think different minds work well with different things. But I'll lay out some general things here.

High conscious psychotherapy with a competent professional can be useful, in my opinion. Stuff like internal family systems therapy, gestalt therapy, humanistic, somatic experiencing etc. Bodywork like Trauma Release Exercises could be useful. (course: https://www.trecourse.com/))

A good book which gives an overview of trauma is, in my opinion: The body keeps the score. Also, Alice Miller, 'Drama of the gifted child' is a useful one I think.

Also, setting up a concentration practice, and then exploring a variety of meditation practices, to find one which helps you process trauma and/ or helps regulate your emotions.

I like a dude called Daniel Mackler too at the moment. He has a youtube channel, and also one of his books is about journaling about trauma (Titled: From Trauma to Enlightenment: self-therapy in twelve steps, Daniel Mackler)

Again though, I'm still in the process so I'd say my perspective is somewhat limited.

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback

15 hours ago, CARDOZZO said:

Do we have a specific life purpose or we have to create one from scratch?

I think a bit of both. You need to expose yourself to enough experience in life to figure out what you enjoy. For example, you may secretly be passionate about gardening but because living in city you never had the opportunity to try it or never picked a gardening book, you wouldn't know. So simply exposing yourself to new experiences is helpful; - one of the best ways to do that is to go travel for a few months in countries where you can live low cost and once you're there try all sorts of things, volunteer, travel, hike, sleep under stars, talk to people about what they do - this is, imo, the fastest way to gain new insights. 

I don't think each of us is born to have ONE purpose. I like Cal Newport's argument that you happen to stumble upon something meaningful that is worth pursuing. I do however think that we are more predisposed to like something and dislike something else. 

My LP for example is health but I could equally imagine being a wildlife photographer, an astronomist, a palaeontologist or a historian but somehow health seemed most compelling when I was making the decision to pursue 7 years ago. But if I was now 7 years into palaeontology, I would have probably been no less satisfied. 

On the other hand, when I look at cars, computers, industrial technology, trading - i couldn't be less interested in any of that stuff so intuitively you already know what stuff resonates and what doesn't. Maybe you haven't spend enough time asking yourself the right questions. Leo's course is beautifully designed to help you with that. That was my starting point. 

I like to think of the LP course as a parachute that delivers you into a jungle and a compass that roughly guides you but you got to figure out how to survive out there and how to cut your way through the jungle to find the treasure. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Ulax Thanks for your thoughts! :D 

I just have notes of your recommendations. 

I'll start with Breathwork ;) 

@Michael569 Understood. Thanks :D 

Being present to the moment, questioning a lot, travelling, exposing yourself to more experiences.

This is one of the things that I'm doing. 

I really want to be a polymath. 

I'm a computer scientist/programmer.

But I also love writing science fiction, making futuristic art on Blender/NFT's, entrepreneurship, exponential tech, futurism, spirituality, personal development, enlightenment, self-actualization, trading stocks, pickup art.

I see myself in the intersection between: Consciousness/Spirituality/Self-Actualization - Technology - Business - Art

Edited by CARDOZZO

@CARDOZZO Well he is kinda right , you have to find and also make it up . My interest are women , spirituality , cats and having fun . i need to try more things and see what i like .