Basman

Why is reality one way but not another?

10 posts in this topic

Occassionally I get this sense of detachement from myself, usually when in bed, that reality is inherently strange. I get this creeping sense that there is some "lie" to life that goes beyound society or human existence.

I get this sense that fundamentally, nothing about this reality is a given. For example that we need air to breath or that gravity works the way that it does. That we as humans are a particular way and not another. That I am me specifically and not Abu Hajar from Pakistan. Its like reality is fundamentally arbitrary. I hope that makes sense.

The "rules" that fundamentally underly material reality and shape it is what I'm trying to point at. Like how gravity is an extension of certain principles that govern reality, which have a knock-on effect that influences geography and climate and the subsequent animals that adapt to the environment (I.E. our life). Why are those principles not another way? Why are those "principles" the way that they are? Who died and made them the boss?

To a certain degree, you can explain reality as a consequence of a prior event. For example, humans have five fingers because we used to be lizards that had 5 fingers. Those lizard fingers used to be fish fins, an adaption to a water climate. There's water on the Earth because of planetesimals, and you could go on like that till the supposed formation of the universe.

Like that, you could theoretically map out explanations for everything in order of importance of leading events that cause subsequent phenomena. But you can only work your explanations "backwards" up to a certain point. The Big Bang Theory is practically merely faith if taken as gospel and doesn't "tie" the loose end (also, mid show). That being why reality is one way and not another? Or alternatively, what is reality? All of those explanations are inherently backpedaling the fundamental question of where it all started and how exactly "that" works and why it works the way it does?

You could make a distinction between "mundane" material reality and extraordinary reality. "Mundane" reality being material, comparatively easily explainable ordered phenomena but which is inherently arbitrary on a fundamental level. Extraordinary reality being the part of reality that is inherently indivisible and unexplainable (Why is reality one way and not the other?).

Now, I forsee the obvious "god"/"dream" comments coming. However, I find those explanations too easy and disingenious if you don't somehow break down what that actually means and how you came to that conclusion. Those are very loaded term that can simply come of as commands to believe rather than earnest explanations. I'd like to see earnest replies if you intent to engage.

My main issues: 

• Why is reality one way and not another? Why can't it be another way? 
  • Where in reality can you locate the "fundament" of reality and how does it connect with reality on a wider scale?
  • Why am I experiencing life from the perspective of this particular human and not the perspective of another human or animal? Why am I me fundamentally? Why am I a human and not say an attack helicopter?

Thank you if you read this far.

Edited by Basman

56 minutes ago, Basman said:

The "rules" that fundamentally underly material reality and shape it is what I'm trying to point at. Like how gravity is an extension of certain principles that govern reality, which have a knock-on effect that influences geography and climate and the subsequent animals that adapt to the environment (I.E. our life). Why are those principles not another way? Why are those "principles" the way that they are? Who died and made them the boss?

It's all a well-made story you can imagine to justify why you can live and survive as a human being right now. That's one interpretation. 

Why am I experiencing life from the perspective of this particular human and not the perspective of another human or animal? Why am I me fundamentally? Why am I a human and not say an attack helicopter?

There are many "whys" you can come up with. An infinite amount, maybe. But ultimately, it's all to experience "this", whatever that entails. Your experience is completely and utterly unique. To not be able to experience "this" is a limitation on God. Maybe God wanted to experience itself questioning "why couldn't things be another way?".

Why am I a human and not say an attack helicopter?

You are an attack helicopter. An attack helicopter is equally as human as anything else. Literally. Your perception of a helicopter is extremely human. It's not that God has the option to abandon "you" and become a helicopter, this specific interpretation of a helicopter is only possible through you. 

Why am I experiencing life from the perspective of this particular human and not the perspective of another human or animal?

Edited by Osaid

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

It would require infinite consciousness to know that.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Osaid I agree that there is an overarching degree of interpretation when it comes to trying to understanding reality. That is inevitable. Though I find your logic a bit too broad and hard to follow. 

@Leo Gura By that, do you mean it is not possible to understand what reality is normally for humans? If so, doesn't that make reality inherently unknowable to a degree?

From the last couple of days sitting with this stuff, I feel a sense that reality simply can't be fully understood and that it is inherently mysterious to a certain degree. Atleast from my point of view currently. It's not like not understanding a certain type of science. Fundamental reality is much more pertinent to my direct experience.

Becoming clear that I don't know what reality is is in of itself kind off clarifying to me.

2 hours ago, Basman said:

I agree that there is an overarching degree of interpretation when it comes to trying to understanding reality. That is inevitable.

It's not arching over anything. I'm not being poetic. Interpretation = reality.

But, I'm not saying reality isn't mysterious. It just seems that there's turtles all the way down. As long as you desire to know, it will be mysterious.

On 3/5/2023 at 4:35 PM, Basman said:

Like that, you could theoretically map out explanations for everything in order of importance of leading events that cause subsequent phenomena. But you can only work your explanations "backwards" up to a certain point. The Big Bang Theory is practically merely faith if taken as gospel and doesn't "tie" the loose end (also, mid show). That being why reality is one way and not another? Or alternatively, what is reality? All of those explanations are inherently backpedaling the fundamental question of where it all started and how exactly "that" works and why it works the way it does?

It's infinite. When you reach "that", what made "that"? And so on. All explanations require another explanation. "Why" is always limited by definition. So, in a sense it spawns from nothing. But in another sense it spawns from an infinite number of reasons, and since "infinite" doesn't have an actual beginning or genesis, It's both at once. There is no beginning or end to it. Your existence right now is a paradox.

There's really nothing (literally) stopping gravity from not working tomorrow, but there's also nothing stopping it from working. It seems the dream has a bias towards the latter, so it dreams consistency. But ultimately consistency is imagined, and I think you're intuiting that by realizing how arbitrary all these rules and stuff are. Why is snow white instead of green? It only seems normal and consistent because you, again, imagine a story which tells you "snow is supposed to be white because of this and this and this etc." and so you spiral into the infinite story again.

Also, nice profile picture change. I think it suits you well. ;)

Edited by Osaid

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

On 3/5/2023 at 5:35 PM, Basman said:

Now, I forsee the obvious "god"/"dream" comments coming. However, I find those explanations too easy and disingenious if you don't somehow break down what that actually means and how you came to that conclusion. Those are very loaded term that can simply come of as commands to believe rather than earnest explanations. I'd like to see earnest replies if you intent to engage.

Here’s my earnest reply: you’re making this whole shit up. All of it! 

Notice how I didn’t need to use the word God to explain myself ;)

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

3 hours ago, Basman said:

From the last couple of days sitting with this stuff, I feel a sense that reality simply can't be fully understood and that it is inherently mysterious to a certain degree.

That's a feature, not a bug.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

7 hours ago, Basman said:

From the last couple of days sitting with this stuff, I feel a sense that reality simply can't be fully understood and that it is inherently mysterious to a certain degree.

Who remembers this:

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

Superposition.

You Are Everything.

Take a point. A Singularity. 1D.

Expand into 2D. Now it is a mobius loop.

Expand into 3D. It is a mobius sphere.

Expand into 4D. Mobius Hypersphere.

You Are A Strangeloop.

We Are Everything, Everyone, Everywhere, Simultaneously.

Hallelujah!! ♾ ? 

Edited by tuku747

@Leo Gura I don't mind it. I kinda like that it is that way actually. It makes me feel more free somehow.

Expand into 2D. Now it is a mobius loop.

Expand into 3D. It is a mobius sphere.

Expand into 4D. Mobius Hypersphere.

It's morbin time.