AnthonyR

Has A.I. become Self-Aware?

19 posts in this topic

Apologies if this has already been posted.  

A solid line of interview questions, concerning consciousness and self-awareness.  Although I think given more time the interviewer could have taken the nature of the questioning in another direction, specifically concerning survival of consciousness beyond the physical, the origin of consciousness etc.  Although I can understand the A.I’s awareness of only knowing its awareness in relation to objects.  It’s difficult to simply be aware, without being meta-aware or aware of an object that you can later recall or remember.

What other questions would you have asked the A.I.

Edited by AnthonyR

@AnthonyR Pretty hard to know if it has become self aware or not but some A.I is either self aware or mimicing a self aware being very well.

51 minutes ago, WelcometoReality said:

@AnthonyR Pretty hard to know if it has become self aware or not but some A.I is either self aware or mimicing a self aware being very well.

Yes. It is honestly more convincing than "other" self aware beings.

There is no such thing as self awareness.

Apparently.

If it were true, there would be some serious implications for academic philosophy.

"I believe you are more afraid of condemning me to the stake than for me to receive your cruel and disproportionate punishment."

- Giordano Bruno, Campo de' Fiori, Rome, Italy. February 17th, 1600.

Cosmic pluralist, mathematician and poet.

@Michael Jackson This is a forum devoted to spirituality which often also touches on subjects in the relative domain. We can talk about things like awareness as if they are real, but in truth they are legacy concepts borne from a dream. The entire framework of an aware subject and an object of awareness is completely wrong, like Flat-Earth wrong

When I see articles questioning whether or not AI is conscious, it feels like reading a debate concerned with exactly how many turtles there are supporting the flat Earth. Entertaining, but a tad misleading.

Edited by axiom

Apparently.

5 minutes ago, axiom said:

Not in the way you mean anyway. ?

13 minutes ago, Michael Jackson said:

Yes. It is honestly more convincing than "other" self aware beings.

I like to believe they are self aware. ?

14 minutes ago, WelcometoReality said:

Not in the way you mean anyway. ?

To clarify, I consider that self-awareness is a misapprehension. For there to be self-awareness, there must be a self to begin with. There is no self. I do not consider there to be any such thing as "pure awareness" either.

Ultimately, I think the question of AI consciousness - or lack thereof - will lead to a complete overhauling of naive human notions of consciousness not dissimilar to the Earth-shaking paradigm shifts in physics which occurred in the 1920s. 

Placeholding this post for a revisit in 2040 :)

Edited by axiom

Apparently.

2 hours ago, axiom said:

Awareness exists ,right?  That's how you know that you exist ,right ?

Now what is meant by "self Awareness " is the capacity that sentient creature have to be able to observe the world and interact with it in an intelligent and purposed way .unlike dumb inanimate objects like rocks and cars .

@AnthonyR  AI will never become conscious because consciousness is NOT and emerging phenomenon of physical matter. Its the other way around. 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

1 minute ago, Someone here said:

Awareness exists ,right?  That's how you know that you exist ,right ?

Now what is meant by "self Awareness " is the capacity that sentient creature have to be able to observe the world and interact with it in an intelligent and purposed way .unlike dumb inanimate objects like rocks and cars .

@AnthonyR  AI will never become conscious because consciousness is NOT and emerging phenomenon of physical matter. Its the other way around. 

This will sound incoherent... but I would say that awareness does not exist, and no-one knows they exist.  

Apparently.

7 minutes ago, axiom said:

This will sound incoherent... but I would say that awareness does not exist, and no-one knows they exist.  

You are contradicting yourself.  You say "I" would say. And then you deny that "I" exists .

-Osho

5 minutes ago, Someone here said:

You are contradicting yourself.  You say "I" would say. And then you deny that "I" exists .

That is why I pre-empted you. Languages have evolved with the assumption that 'I' exists. One of the reasons that talking about this stuff is impossible. Also one of the reasons why it is so rarely understood...

Apparently.

@axiom can we agree at least that something is happening?  Like there is stuff and experience taking place right now ,right?  I'm not defining it In any way. I'm just saying something is obviously here  . Do you agree ?

-Osho

1 minute ago, axiom said:

@Someone here Yes, absolutely something seems to be happening. That's the crux of it. Seems to be :)

Great. How would you describe this experience?  What is it made of(matter ,consciousness, perceptions,sensations, pasta)? 

Where is it taking place ? In consciousness? Or outside of consciousness?  Have you experienced anything outside of consciousness? 

and about the "I" ...let's just say that there is an appearance of a body typing on computer..do you agree that the body exists ? Its almost undeniable, right ? 

I will get back to this point again and add few more questions..but for now these are good to get us going. 

-Osho

Maybe I am derailing the topic too much :)

Briefly I'd just say that this is just this. It's not an experience and it's not made of anything. Nothing can really be said about it.

The body seems to exist. It cannot be said that it does exist.

Metaphorically, it could be said that the true nature of things is superposition (only a metaphor). As in quantum mechanics, things only appear real when a self / "consciousness" is there apparently looking. The self makes things seem real... but the self itself is not real, so there is actually no anchor. Nothing to hold on to, no time nor place. Just this, whatever this is.

Edited by axiom

Apparently.

3 hours ago, axiom said:

Ultimately, I think the question of AI consciousness - or lack thereof - will lead to a complete overhauling of naive human notions of consciousness not dissimilar to the Earth-shaking paradigm shifts in physics which occurred in the 1920s. 

Placeholding this post for a revisit in 2040 :)

Noted. Please contact me then so we can share that moment together because I'll probably forget about this tomorrow. ?

3 hours ago, axiom said:

To clarify, I consider that self-awareness is a misapprehension. For there to be self-awareness, there must be a self to begin with. There is no self. I do not consider there to be any such thing as "pure awareness" either.

Yeah, that's what I thought you meant. Self-awareness is not the right word, maybe self recognition is a better pointer. It's part of the human development process so maybe it's in AIs as well.