ShardMare

How do you explain how a normal person feels to a depressed person?

11 posts in this topic

Feel free to describe it in any kind of way. How does it feel? How do you feel in a day? How it feels when you laugh? It feels good but how can you explain it more? How do you feel while you socialize? How do you feel when its christmas?

These are just few questions or examples

Edited by ShardMare

We aren't constantly clinging to any anxieties or worries of the future. In that sense, we're more lax. When you're lax and carefree, it creates more space for enjoying things deeply. You can't enjoy and worry at the same time. 

8 hours ago, ShardMare said:

How it feels when you laugh? It feels good but how can you explain it more?

There is an energy that builds up in the chest area. It almost feels like an itch that's being scratched. It's an energetic release. Sometimes you see something so absurd and surprising and comedic that you need to let out some sort of reaction and energy, and this ends up being a pretty enjoyable process.

How do you feel while you socialize?

Talking to other people can ground you pull you away from your thoughts and worries if you are someone that overthinks. It feels like a weight being lifted off your chest sometimes, because you have someone you can communicate your feelings to and vent to. And then they can talk back and forth with you and give you feedback about yourself. It feels validating having someone listen and communicate to you, like an acknowledgment of your existence and your ideas. People can perceive social interactions differently though. I'm an introvert, and this is how I perceive the good aspects of socializing, other people might differ.

How do you feel when its christmas?

I like Christmas because of all the festive designs and ideas that start to appear everywhere. It's very cartoony, and I like that. It gives different flavors and variety to the different months, instead of all of them being bland and similar. There are also many different events and gatherings that pop up as a result, which can be enjoyable. The lights outside are nice too, I like seeing bright colors everywhere, it's very stimulating and energetic. It's nice seeing the world celebrate something in unison, it creates a feeling of connection.

If I had to use a few adjectives to describe Christmas, I would say warm and cozy, probably because of the contrast between the snow outside and being inside somewhere warm. This creates a unique cozy atmosphere.

Edited by Osaid

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

Depression is like inside a beautiful shopping mall, but only being able to see/focus on the trash cans.

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

3 hours ago, Osaid said:

People can perceive social interactions differently though.

For me I often feel stressed when socializing, uncomfortable, and like it's a lot of work.  

Though, I might be able to be diagnosed with autism on the lighter end of the spectrum.  So, this might not be average.

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

3 minutes ago, Matt23 said:

For me I often feel stressed when socializing, uncomfortable, and like it's a lot of work.

Same for me, I was just focusing on the positive aspects of it. 

7 minutes ago, Matt23 said:

Though, I might be able to be diagnosed with autism on the lighter end of the spectrum.  So, this might not be average.

I think it's more likely for introverts.

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

I've experienced both sides. From my perspective:

Being without depression feels like having a protective layer or armor that gives you the confidence to deal with daily struggles and misfortunes of life, you feel more resilient. Higher self esteem, better self image, less self doubt, you feel that you have power and impact on your life, you see how you are the creator of your life, your trust yourself and your abilities more, you trust life more, people, you see the future as either good, neutral, or mysterious and not as tragedy or something to be too much worried about. You appriciate the beauty in life, see and experience the various colors and wider variety of emotions. You have more hobbies, dreams, goals and passions and things you want to attain and you have the mental energy to pursue it.

Laugh feels enjoyable and emotionaly releasing, I feel that tension is slipping away of my body.

When I socialize (depending on the people) I feel nice, I feel part of the human big tribe, I feel equal, seen, valued and belong.

How do I feel when it's Christmas? I don't know, I like the aesthetics even though it's the same every year, it brings some magical vibes and just feels better than the mundane days. 

My question is, (you don't have to answer) how would you explain depression? How're you experiencing it?

Edited by Lila9

Let Love In

@Lila9 im not that depressed im feeling good, i still experience some levels of depression.

I think i should see more colourful, have more excitement. Also i think for me depression means not enough neurotransmitters in the brain. Being more extrovert, socializing more easily.

@ShardMare I guess there is a scale between casual emotions of sadness and melancholy from time to time (normal for everybody) and severe depression. I think that it's helpful to define where you are on the scale more or less.

2 hours ago, ShardMare said:

Also i think for me depression means not enough neurotransmitters in the brain.

In my opinion it's not a holistic view on depression. Not to say that it's false, scientifically it might be accurate and logical (there is a problem in the 'brain' so that can be solved with medicating the 'brain'), but it's incomplete picture because it focuses on the symptoms rather than the root cause. There are more meanings, reasons, factors and solutions that involved in depression.  

For example, an additional explanation to depression, maybe a existential/spiritual one, is that depression is a clue that something goes wrong in your life (environment, people, diet, occupation or something inner like thoughts beliefs and paradigms) and you have to change it in order to heal.

Generally speaking, the modern society isn't healthy in a way that it neglects some of the most importent human needs like a sense of belonging, connection, spirituality, meaning, integrity, not to mention the horrible noise and light pollution everywhere, the processed cheap food that is everywhere, the polarization between people is growing (young vs old, men vs women, poor vs rich etc), then depression on the large scale is pretty expected. It's like taking a wild animal and put it in a clean laboratory and expecting it to act in a certain way that is unnatural to it, of course it will be depressed. Some are more sensitive to it than others.

3 hours ago, ShardMare said:

Being more extrovert, socializing more easily.

Social skills can be learned and practiced. Even when it developed well it's not guaranteed that you are always going to enjoy socialization like extroverts do if you're an introvert at your core, you will enjoy it differently than extroverts, you might prefer quality over quantity.

Let Love In

@Lila9 yes i agree. Depression means a lot of things, and lots of things can cause it.

For me personally i think its caused by bad brain chemistry. Other things play a role of course and i got things i know in order. Ive gone to psychologist for months and realized its not important for me. 

Ive been on fluoxetine it helps a little bit but i do think theres a better one for my situation

12 minutes ago, ShardMare said:

Ive gone to psychologist for months and realized its not important for me. 

Have you tried alternative types of therapy that include both the mind and the body? I believe that it's more effective than the usual psychologist meetings.

I wish you to feel better soon! take care ?

Let Love In