ThePoint

Tips on sticking to an elimination diet?

9 posts in this topic

It’s been a while since I’ve done an elimination diet. 

This time, I’m finding it very difficult to stick to one.

I’m wanting to try a liquid-only diet or a carnivore diet again, but I keep slipping off the diet. 

The reason why I’m wanting to do it is to try to find a solution to my health issues. 

I also have exams coming up so I need to get any benefit I can. 

How do I stick to it? 

Don't wait for things to get better. Take proactive action.

You could create a vision board of things that inspire you that you associate with health & healing and stick it on random places around your house. 

But yah elimination diets are not fun, they suck and they test your willpower but where they work, the results can be incredible. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

4 hours ago, ThePoint said:

How do I stick to it? 

Only if you have a good enough reason and vision. Focus on that.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

On 27/10/2022 at 1:02 AM, Michael569 said:

You could create a vision board of things that inspire you that you associate with health & healing and stick it on random places around your house. 

@Michael569 

On 27/10/2022 at 3:09 AM, Leo Gura said:

Only if you have a good enough reason and vision. Focus on that.

@Leo Gura

Ever since I got anhedonia my ability to feel inspiration has been cut off. I used to have a list of goals I looked at that always inspired me pre-anhedonia but now they don’t spark anything in me at all.

Once I cure anhedonia I hope this comes back, maybe the elimination diet can help with the anhedonia. 

I might just have to brute force it. But my willpower keeps running out by the end of the day.

I just need to cure this stuff ASAP so I can resume my life.

On 27/10/2022 at 1:02 AM, Michael569 said:

But yah elimination diets are not fun, they suck and they test your willpower but where they work, the results can be incredible. 

What type of potential incredible results could people see?

On 29/10/2022 at 0:36 PM, ThePoint said:

I just need to cure this stuff ASAP so I can resume my life.

My anhedonia was caused by watching images of women. It doesn't matter if they have clothes on or not. It makes you lazy.

I left this forum because a moderator has a problem with me talking positively about myself and giving advice. This reflects the forum as a whole. This place is negative, bitter, hateful and anti success. If you don't notice this that's because you're one of them. I hope some of you benefited from my posts. Take care.

I have been in the mode of eating an elimination diet for probably close to 2 years. I have constructed a diet that I like where I can always add and take things away, but the meals are based around the same stuff. I have found more than 10 items that were giving me issues and I have found many interesting minor reactions that I have had to stuff. I am now getting close to being able to be more lenient on some variety. 

It was not easy to do it, but the results have been completely life changing. The amount of effort and focus I have put on my health over the last 5 years has so dramatically changed my life I am not even close to the same person. How I operate and function now would not have even been thought of as a possibility.

My recommendation for an elimination diet would be to do something with low fodmap and use small amounts of food and up work from there. This will be much more sustainable than trying something like a liquid only or a carnivore. This will take a lot more time and energy to actually pull off though. You should be aiming to get yourself to a point where you can almost immediately detect when a new food is giving you an issue. The problem is this is not going to happen fast. This kind of a process is more so months and months of investment.

Another alternative would be to eliminate a smaller group of things first. You could see a lot of results by eliminating junk food for example. Removing proceed sugars and foods could be another option. I would recommend testing more than a month without eating wheat as well. I already had a foundation of having a super clean diet before going into an elimination diet and I believe this made it much easier. 

Edited by Average Investor

On 11/5/2022 at 5:14 PM, Eyowey said:

My anhedonia was caused by watching images of women. It doesn't matter if they have clothes on or not. It makes you lazy.

@Eyowey Did you cure it? What cured it for you?

On 11/5/2022 at 5:47 PM, Average Investor said:

I have been in the mode of eating an elimination diet for probably close to 2 years. I have constructed a diet that I like where I can always add and take things away, but the meals are based around the same stuff. I have found more than 10 items that were giving me issues and I have found many interesting minor reactions that I have had to stuff. I am now getting close to being able to be more lenient on some variety. 

It was not easy to do it, but the results have been completely life changing. The amount of effort and focus I have put on my health over the last 5 years has so dramatically changed my life I am not even close to the same person. How I operate and function now would not have even been thought of as a possibility.

My recommendation for an elimination diet would be to do something with low fodmap and use small amounts of food and up work from there. This will be much more sustainable than trying something like a liquid only or a carnivore. This will take a lot more time and energy to actually pull off though. You should be aiming to get yourself to a point where you can almost immediately detect when a new food is giving you an issue. The problem is this is not going to happen fast. This kind of a process is more so months and months of investment.

Another alternative would be to eliminate a smaller group of things first. You could see a lot of results by eliminating junk food for example. Removing proceed sugars and foods could be another option. I would recommend testing more than a month without eating wheat as well. I already had a foundation of having a super clean diet before going into an elimination diet and I believe this made it much easier. 

@Average Investor I think I have 70% clean diet. I tried carnivore before but I didn't get much results. How long did it take for you to see results with Low FODMAP? It's been a year since I did that. 

My go to elimination diet is pure carnivore. Grass fed organic beef.

I typically do this a few times a year for anywhere from 14-30 days straight. I’ve even went longer than 30 a few times because I feel so good on it.

The key to me is discipline. I know this sounds simple but there’s a lot to be said about saying that you’ll do something and then doing it.

Have a very clear goal in mind. What food will you eat? How long will you be doing this? Why exactly are you doing this? Etc.

The game of survival cannot be won. 

10 hours ago, ThePoint said:

I think I have 70% clean diet. I tried carnivore before but I didn't get much results. How long did it take for you to see results with Low FODMAP? It's been a year since I did that. 

I started seeing results within a month or two of getting into it.