Michael569

Seed Oils & inflammation

15 posts in this topic

Pretty damn impressive in-depth analysis by Gil Carvalho just released today 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Thank you so much. 

♡✸♡.

Be careful being too demanding in relationships. Relate to the person at the level they are at, not where you need them to be.

You have to get out of the kitchen where Tate's energy exists ~ Tyler Robinson 

oils are useful to reach adequate caloric intake without having to eat mountains of fiber as a vegan. but they are hard to digest i feel. doesn’t oil affect blood flow in a negative way (post meal)? 

also is nut butter healthier or equivalent to “oil + fibers”? 

47 minutes ago, nuwu said:

doesn’t oil affect blood flow in a negative way (post meal)?

every fat-containing food does lead to a transitional increase in the free fatty acid concentration in the blood and maybe even temporary changes in the vasodilation/vasoconstriction...that is certainly possible. 

But even if we grant that this is happening post-meal, ultimately it doesn't matter because seed oils appear to lead better cardiovascular outcomes for people who replace saturated fats with PUFAs. So in the long run they seem to be beneficial even if short term they impact vasodilation (an effect, btw which probably all foods have to a degree). 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Would you still not recommend using glass bottled Olive Oil for the most part? 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

45 minutes ago, LfcCharlie4 said:

I still buy the glass dark bottles because ....well, screw plastic bottles. 

But I am no longer concerned about the oxidation or about buying other oils such as rapeseed oil for example, every now and then. It tastes slightly different but it is significantly cheaper and equally healthy option for people who are on tighter budgets.

Olive oil is still my choice number one as a topping due to its amazing taste on salads. But for cooking and light frying, I am happy to be using rapeseed oil or even sunflower oil without much concern any longer. 

I am noticing on myself that despite all this new information that I did not know about even 4 months ago, the transition is a bit painful because I was so convinced that all oils are bad for so long but I can no longer justify that believe so I try to force myself to embrace the change. 

15 minutes ago, Judy2 said:

what makes you say that olive oil is your number

taste ;)

15 hours ago, LfcCharlie4 said:

That’s a fruit oil. It’s fine. Seed oils are not particularly healthy.

14 minutes ago, EugeneTheSage said:

I'm interested whether the inflammation is the only aspect we can be concerned about in context of eating seed oils?

Hypersensitivity might be an issue.

Oxidative stress might also be.

Thyroid and adrenal suppression perhaps.

PUFAs in general seem to have many issues. They are essential, but only about 1-2g a day is essential.

Probably best to just eat a low fat diet high in protein. Lots of animal products and vegetables, and fruits as long as one is doing resistance training — though there’s probably a way to make a vegan diet relatively healthy as well.

39 minutes ago, The0Self said:

Hypersensitivity might be an issue.

Oxidative stress might also be.

Thyroid and adrenal suppression perhaps.

Maybe but maybe what they do is improve all those things. How do we know? In the absence of population data we won't know. 

The research focus has mostly been on the chronic diseases that kill most people (cancer, heart disease, diabetes, obesity, Alzheimer's, parkinson's) as this is where you are more likely to obtain funding and this is where you are more likely to have a significant impact on public health guidelines. PUFAs where being used to replace saturated fats, improve all those outcomes and reduce their risk in risk-patients)

Hypothyroidism, while being very unpleasant is not going to kill the patient prematurely as long as it is well managed where atherosclerosis can. 

I'd love to see more research into other topics such as allergies, thyroid health, fertility etc but e may need to wait another couple decades. 

For most people, increase of PUFAs (including in things like meat replacements and mock meats) generally means reduction of saturated fats which is generally going to be beneficial for members of the public especially those at the highest quantiles of intake. 

But for those who are worried, complete oil avoidance is definitely a possibility so it comes down to individual choices. I'm sure one can be perfectly healthy with or without oils :)

Edited by Michael569

@Michael569 a Tablespoon of oil is literally nothing. Most people consume much larger quantities. The methodology of the research is flawed. at least 5 tablespoons or even more is needed.

Edited by LSD-Rumi

@LSD-Rumi have you actually looked into the methodology of at least one meta analysis on the topic before dismissing it like that? ?At least watch that video before just outright rejecting it. He mentions dosing towards the end and quantiles of intake are usually accounted for. You can stratify people by pufa intake based on Food frequency questionnaires and it has been done many times.

Edited by Michael569

@Michael569 Yeah some studies use higher doses, my bad. I just watched the beginning of the video.

Edited by LSD-Rumi

Seed (and corn, etc) oils are both very cheap to acquire and very profitable to sell, so useful research is going to be particularly difficult to parse. Financial incentives and all.

Edited by The0Self