Julian gabriel

Is the Desire to Understand = to Control?

8 posts in this topic

I want to understand everything.

What I’m wondering is if the desire to understand is ultimately the desire to control your surroundings? 

Because to understand is to see how something works, and once u see how something works then you can control it. 

It can be that, but it can also be the desire to connect with your surroundings.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

No. Consciousness seeks pure understanding of itself. That's all consciousness really cares about.

God's only business is endless self-understanding.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

No. Consciousness seeks pure understanding of itself. That's all consciousness really cares about.

God's only business is endless self-understanding.

But isn't it just your bias? Cause your avatar is all about understanding stuff? 

My personal feel about this topic is that fundamentally consciousness is all about issness - being all kinds of stuff and experiencing it fully, with or without self understanding

Why the bias towards understanding is not just part of this particular dream either? 

I can easily picture myself in a consciousness of a rabbit just living his rabbit existence with his the typical survival agenda of a rabbit

Though I'm open minded enough to consider that consciousness of a rabbit can still have the potential of self-awareness in which case your self-understanding argument can still hold

But what about consciousness of a rabbit who isn't self aware and only cares about finding food and not getting eaten by wolves for the most part? 

I totally acknowledge that conceptualizing about rabbit is still happening inside a dream, I don't know what will/can happen outside of this dream

And I acknowledge that in my current dream state for some reason I care a lot about understanding of the reality/existence and there is a bias and pull towards it

But how can you claim that all of consciousness about this dualistic thing - understanding? Within and outside this particular dream. How can you say that it is? 

I mean, it's about this thing and many others for sure, but how can you claim it's the #1 thing? 

14 minutes ago, Hello from Russia said:

But isn't it just your bias? Cause your avatar is all about understanding stuff? 

My personal feel about this topic is that fundamentally consciousness is all about issness - being all kinds of stuff and experiencing it fully, with or without self understanding

Why the bias towards understanding is not just part of this particular dream either? 

I can easily picture myself in a consciousness of a rabbit just living his rabbit existence with his the typical survival agenda of a rabbit

Though I'm open minded enough to consider that consciousness of a rabbit can still have the potential of self-awareness in which case your self-understanding argument can still hold

But what about consciousness of a rabbit who isn't self aware and only cares about finding food and not getting eaten by wolves for the most part? 

I totally acknowledge that conceptualizing about rabbit is still happening inside a dream, I don't know what will/can happen outside of this dream

And I acknowledge that in my current dream state for some reason I care a lot about understanding of the reality/existence and there is a bias and pull towards it

But how can you claim that all of consciousness about this dualistic thing - understanding? Within and outside this particular dream. How can you say that it is? 

I mean, it's about this thing and many others for sure, but how can you claim it's the #1 thing? 

It's your dream. It will be whatever you set it to be. If you want it to be about killing Jews, that's what it will be for you.

But if you want to reach the highest level of God consciousness, that will be about Self-Understanding, because that's what is required for God to be omniscient.

A rabbit is not omniscient and has no awareness of itself as God.

You cannot be God/Awake without understanding yourself.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

for me the desire to understand is the desire for freedom. what I don't understand is hidden from me, and being so keeps me trapped with no possibility of release

The desire for knowledge is the desire for the True, Good and Beatiful, AKA God, unfortuneatly most people have no clue about that because they are longing for the infinite without knowing it, and instead go chasing their desires for sex, food, drugs and what not, but it will never quench the thirst,  only God can.

Let thy speech be better then silence, or be silent.

- Pseudo-dionysius