Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bammy32

YouTube cancel and copyright culture

10 posts in this topic

Hi @Leo Gura and other experts here,

I have a serious question about legalities of being an online creator when it comes to both copyright and cancel culture issues.

Obviously many things Leo has said if taken out of context can be misinterpreted - yet there is an inner integrity to express Truth/insight without watering it down.

So how do you actually navigate this in terms of being integrous in what you say VS protecting yourself from misinterpretation & being cancelled?

Secondly, what is the deal with copyright issues when you expand on teachings/theories of another person.

For example, Leo's Spiral Dynamics series, Susanne Cook-Greuter Ego Development series, World Survey episode etc. Leo add lots of his own original insight to their ideas, but still had a video taken down (spiral dynamics turquoise) which after researching copyright laws I can't understand why this happened (any explanation here would be great as I'm stumped).

Another recent example is Aaron Abke who had his David R Hawkins video series taken down for copyright too - many others have too as apparently Hawkins' spiritual institute is cracking down hard on people teaching/repackaging his works, even if it is very much an expanded and original work.

So again it is confusing to know the legalities of what you can teach and can post about.

Do you get permission form original authors/people before posting content to cover yourself or just go for it?

Can anyone point me to copyright laws that clearly explain what can and can't be done when it comes to creating videos about other people's ideas.

Anyone else with any tips/insights into navigating these topics as a spiritual teacher/creator/business owner online would be much appreciated - obviously the goals is to impact people in our work/business successfully, whilst knowing confidently how to follow social media policies/strikes systems etc.

Thanks!

10 hours ago, bammy32 said:

Aaron Abke who had his David R Hawkins video series taken down for copyright

Those David Hawkins people are total assholes.

They emailed me some time ago threatening to sue me because someone posted a picture of Hawkin's scale of consciousness on this forum.

They can go fuck themselves.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

15 hours ago, bammy32 said:

Hi @Leo Gura and other experts here,

I have a serious question about legalities of being an online creator when it comes to both copyright and cancel culture issues.

Obviously many things Leo has said if taken out of context can be misinterpreted - yet there is an inner integrity to express Truth/insight without watering it down.

So how do you actually navigate this in terms of being integrous in what you say VS protecting yourself from misinterpretation & being cancelled?

Secondly, what is the deal with copyright issues when you expand on teachings/theories of another person.

For example, Leo's Spiral Dynamics series, Susanne Cook-Greuter Ego Development series, World Survey episode etc. Leo add lots of his own original insight to their ideas, but still had a video taken down (spiral dynamics turquoise) which after researching copyright laws I can't understand why this happened (any explanation here would be great as I'm stumped).

Another recent example is Aaron Abke who had his David R Hawkins video series taken down for copyright too - many others have too as apparently Hawkins' spiritual institute is cracking down hard on people teaching/repackaging his works, even if it is very much an expanded and original work.

So again it is confusing to know the legalities of what you can teach and can post about.

Do you get permission form original authors/people before posting content to cover yourself or just go for it?

Can anyone point me to copyright laws that clearly explain what can and can't be done when it comes to creating videos about other people's ideas.

Anyone else with any tips/insights into navigating these topics as a spiritual teacher/creator/business owner online would be much appreciated - obviously the goals is to impact people in our work/business successfully, whilst knowing confidently how to follow social media policies/strikes systems etc.

Thanks!

@bammy32   Generally, if part of you providing value looks like a making a video talking about topics like Leo, or if you're making an animation that features spiritual themes but different context and elements of the story, or you're making a webtoon, or you're making music songs or rap songs that about anything like dissing spiritual topics and making fun of some concepts, or whatever you're online work is if you're solo, freelance or indie, ALWAYS post in your own website first, before posting in other social media platforms. Always make sure your main source of income/salary is IRL, or your own website. Otherwise, you always find yourself tip toeing around their policies, while stunting your creativity and range of expressions possible.

Also goes without say, develop a big and compelling vision that is unshakable, that if people start falsely accusing you, and copywrite striking you, and try cancelling you, you can persevere through those BS and continue your work. 

Have you seen all the David Hawkins material on audible? They are really milking a dead man’s work.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

@Leo Gura

12 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Those David Hawkins people are total assholes.

They emailed me some time ago threatening to sue me because someone posted a picture of Hawkin's scale of consciousness on this forum.

They can go fuck themselves.

So what's the difference between Hawkins' folks flagging down YT content VS say Susanne Cook-Greuter/Spiral Dynamics folks doing the same to your vids in future?

I have never had a single copyright strike except for my Hitler Reacts To Nonduality video. Which of course was BS because it was fair use.

The Spiral takedown was a trademark strike. Which are nearly unheard of and was also BS.

Edited by Leo Gura

There are other threads about this, from a different perspective.

Basically, financially a strict copyright law is bad for YouTube. So thats why Google actively pushes against copyright laws. That is one of the reasons YouTube accepted the deal with Google back when they where bought out, because Google could protect YouTube from increasing copyright infringements.

If they keep doing what they are doing, and it seems like they will, you won't have much to worry about.

@Leo Gura

I wonder why your other spiral vids weren't flagged for the same reason... gotta be an explanation...

2 hours ago, bammy32 said:

@Leo Gura

I wonder why your other spiral vids weren't flagged for the same reason... gotta be an explanation...

Because Beck or whoever did not like my version of Turquoise.