Max_V

Poor working memory

54 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

This is incorrect. Intelligence is infinite therefore it is not computable. Humans mis-define what intelligence is. Intelligence is not IQ nor pure calculation speed, nor book-smarts. Intelligence is a fundamental feature of reality and consciousness.

Wisdom comes from intelligence. Intelligence which isn't wise isn't very intelligent.

Most people that society deems as intelligent are actually not very intelligent, they just seem intelligent from an even less intelligent person's POV. Real intelligence has an existential and spiritual dimension, otherwise it's just not very intelligent.

You can't really be an intelligent materialist. Materialism is stupidity.

Well put. Exactly what I was trying to say.

1 minute ago, thisintegrated said:

Well put. Exactly what I was trying to say.

"Most people that society deems as intelligent are actually not very intelligent". Those people are called intellectuals.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

7 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

This is incorrect. Intelligence is infinite therefore it is not computable. Humans mis-define what intelligence is. Intelligence is not IQ nor pure calculation speed, nor book-smarts. Intelligence is a fundamental feature of reality and consciousness.

Wisdom comes from intelligence. Intelligence which isn't wise isn't very intelligent.

Most people that society deems as intelligent are actually not very intelligent, they just seem intelligent from an even less intelligent person's POV. Real intelligence has an existential and spiritual dimension, otherwise it's just not very intelligent.

You can't really be an intelligent materialist. Materialism is stupidity.

Im conscious of what intelligence is. Intellect is more akin to rationality or agency (or working memory if you wish) I would say, and thats what I was getting at. Id say Intelligence is the substratum (which is infinite), which manifests into the intellect (which is finite), and to the degree that the intellect is in allignment with Intelligence, it is wise. So you can compute an intellect, but it may or may not be possible for this intellect to become wise (which would mean becoming sentient I guess).

Edited by Nilsi

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

An amoeba or an ant is intelligent, but they don't have an intellect.

@Leo Gura Intelligence and intellect are different.

Intellect as sadguru definite is your ability to dissect, analyse and compute, and process information.

Your cognitive processing power.

Intelligence is the super set, of which intellect is a small rather insignificant element.

With regards to working memory here are the most practical tips to improve.

I have done tons of experimentation on this field in a first person way. This is not ordered in any particular way. I am just dumping all my thoughts. 

1. PRACTICE RECALL

You should look at something and then immediately close your eyes or look away.

Now from your memory, recall the most peculiar and specific aspects of your visual. Maybe there are shapes, colours or just anything at random that caught your attention.

If you are starring at a page in a book, there must be some words that immediately gets stored in your cache memory of your mind. You should actively try to recall it. 

DO NOT EXPECT PERFECTION.

Whatever you can recall is enough. The point is to have fun recalling what you have seen. Even if you only retain 1% of what you have seen that's enough.

Then just forget what you have recalled and try recalling it again. 

2. CONNECT AND DRAW RELATIONSHIPS.

If you want to remember numbers, notice the similarities and differences between symbols. Watch leos sameness vs differences video for more.

Basically you have to put it into practice.

You have to find a creative way to link what you have observed. Every thing that you observe is a *difference*. Reality is made out of difference.

So by default, differences need two things to differ. This is a basic and fundamental definition. 

A cat is a difference in reality. Which is made up if further differences. Now you need to compute the differences between a cat and a dog entirely in your mind.

Now read history books and remember the dates. Keep refreshing your memory instantly of what you have read. It just boils down to practice imo.

You have to develop CURIOSITY.

Look infront of you and then close your eyes. Whatever you retain is your working memory. Working memory is closely related your IQ.

Verbal IQ is mostly meaningless. I am not sure about it's real world applications. 

To make it simple, take a paper and draw a line. Now recall it from memory.

If you want to remember something, then you have to model that object with respect to already developed fundamental differences that you have already observed. 

If you look at a circle or a square, it's easy to recall it since you already know that a square is nothing but a configuration of 4 equal sized lines.

But if I give you a shape that you cannot express as a combination of previous "differences" that you held in your mind, it would be difficult.

3. Play chess and do mathematics.

Lots of it. Play blindfold chess and do mathematics in your head.

That would help I guess. 

9 hours ago, Nilsi said:

Im conscious of what intelligence is.

I call BS on that.

8 hours ago, Bobby_2021 said:

@Leo Gura Intelligence and intellect are different.

Literally the same word.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Verbal IQ---it's logic using words (and closely connected to general logic), as opposed to visuals or numerals. We are not communicating using visualizations or numerical webs, unless those're used conceptually, which they are often not due to various incompetences.

Working memory is, as I said before:

usually . . . random strings of numbers, insignificant geometric shapes, and whatnot. If your memory can't take in that yet can take in something of the same complexity but with more meaning, more useful associations, then there probably is not that much concern to be had. Theoretically I should have a bad working memory because I scored low on the same sections; practically I have a good memory, both short- and long-term, so the appraisal is unwarranted and certainly grounded in the uselessness of the random strings of numbers, the random shapes, the lists of words forwards and backwards, etc.

Memory = information retention.

Memorization (as a tried and conscious process) = information retention based on intention/effort.

A lot of that effortful intention and intension will come from the importance of memories, so biographical or meaningful imprints on information need to be seen everywhere. There are no longer random strings of numbers but encoded patterns to find, there are no more geometric visual patterns of insignificance but of the highest and most significant light possible to dwell in awareness, and all information is seen to be synonymous with the holding places of meaning and associative direction . . . potentially.

Basically there are two routes to take, intellectually. One of them is heavy, information-dense, and immense as a state of maximization. The other is lightweight, efficient, and minimalist. Both have their uses, and you should take yourself to understanding them. Say, the first approach might read by studying cover-to-cover massively developed tomes; the second might speed-read, skim, and pick the most substantial parts out of multiple books per day. The first might train itself to heavily process and render memorized and complete any information and allow it to be eidetically retrievable permanently or temporarily; the second might discard most of the details and keep memorable only the key core points, using those cores to access the other nodes in the web like holding on to the importances like large circular bases and then branching out if at all necessary. The first has more; the second does more.

Edited by AtheisticNonduality

I call BS on that.

Obviously not my baseline state, but I've realized it.

Ironically enough, the best description I've heard of it was from Ray Kurzweil, when he talked about how the Tech Singularity will result in a self-replicating horde of nanobots, that will replace every single particle in the universe with itself and thus create this field of nanobots that is infinitely interconnected and can take any shape whatsoever (this is a guy that is pulling major strings for Google XD). He only seemed to miss the part, where this is already the case.

Literally the same word.

We just gave you a distinction.

Edited by Nilsi

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

8 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Literally the same word.

Same root, perhaps.

Intelligence can be applied to emotions, social and the body (as in body intelligence). There's more than mere intellect involved in those domains.

Intelligence isn't limited to intellect. Both may be based on "mind" even though that depends on how you hold that distinction.

Let's bring up creativity, the genuine kind, as I consider it a form of intelligence.

Creativity seems to come not from intellect but from not-you (outside self). And mind is the interpreter or receiver of that.

Edited by UnbornTao

On 6.9.2022 at 4:12 AM, Leo Gura said:

Literally the same word.

If you look at how the words are generally used, you never see somebody calling an earthworm "an intellectual", or saying it has a sharp intellect, or is engaged in intellectual activities. On the other hand, "intelligence" is often used to describe things like animal intelligence ("the worm is able to locate food without seeing; it's intelligent") or even non-animal intelligence ("mushrooms and trees are able to communicate through mycelia and root systems; they're intelligent").

"Intellect" is used to refer to human capacities like conceptual thinking, abstract reasoning, sapience, while "intelligence" can be used to refer to everything from simple life forms to intellectual geniuses. The problem with modern society is that people tend to treat intellect as the only form of intelligence that actually matters.

Edited by Carl-Richard

21 hours ago, Nilsi said:

We just gave you a distinction.

Yeah, well, I reject your human distinction because I seek a more holistic understanding.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

On 7.9.2022 at 8:25 AM, Tyler Robinson said:

Nah. Just say they are sentient. 

Intelligent is someone that can compute. 

Sense is sentient. 

What do you mean by compute? It's able to move around and solve problems like finding food. Human intelligence is just a complex version of that.

Just now, Tahuti said:

Human intelligence is beyond any computer. We just cannot access it in the way we should be able to.

Don't just assume what he means by computation.

9 hours ago, Tahuti said:

I assume he is talking a materialist standpoint when using such terms. #FirstPrinciples

And what do you mean by that?