StarStruck

Popping psychedelics before going to a therapist?

28 posts in this topic

On 29/8/2022 at 10:29 PM, StarStruck said:

I'm considering popping 100-200 lsd before going to my weekly therapist. Without informing her. In my country using psychedelics is not illegal so I'm not putting myself in danger. The reason why I want to try psychedelics is that I feel like I'm stuck up, all up in my head and not in my body; psychedelics would shake things up for the better. I was wondering if there are people with experience taking psychedelics during therapy?

As Leo said, once you are on the psychedelic the therapist is not of so much use. He/she will feel confused also.

Trip alone. ?

If you still want to try something similar, I think MDMA would me more according to that situation.

Not being upfront with your therapist, let alone on a psychedelic. Wow.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Not telling your therapist about a psychedelic is like taking a heart medication and then going to see you doctor, without telling him, and expecting it to somehow turn out all right.

Stan Grof is one of the pioneers of LSD therapy.   If you are interested in using LSD then you should seek out a therapist who has been trained in a method of therapy using LSD.

The problem is that if you have a serious freakout reaction, you need a healer who knows what he or she is doing.  The healer can guide you so that you liberate energy as opposed to being retraumatized.   The healers I have seen at shamanic ceremonies have a natural gift for guiding people through these experiences.  I doubt there are many therapists that have a clue on how to do this.

Taking psychedelics alone is called entertainment.

Vincit omnia Veritas.

On 1.9.2022 at 2:17 AM, something_else said:

I could maybe see a micro dose being a good idea if you’re already an experienced tripper.

But that’s about it. Anything more I’d bet $100 it ends badly. 

In my personal experience acid makes me just apocalyptically bad at expressing myself. And I get quite anxious when there is pressure/attention on me and I’ve taken a decent dose of acid.

For me its the opposite with magic truffles. I just need a mirco dose and I light up and get super in touch with my emotions. I could also see how a psychologist could be super helpful while tripping because they can direct the trip. But of course it has to be with consent. 

On 31-8-2022 at 7:50 PM, Judy2 said:

Just because something is legal doesn't mean it's a good idea.

If you struggle to get in touch with your emotions, using psychoactive substances is not going to be a sustainable solution here, i'm afraid. Of course tripping can be useful to find an initial opening, but for the most part this is something you need to work on while you're sober. "Needing that pop to feel something" is a sign that you are not doing this properly...

It is easy to talk. I have heavy PTST and I've tried everything: most therapists are idiots and don't know how to treat people like me (people who have hard time accessing emotions). I find you very judgemental and non-undestanding.

On 31-8-2022 at 7:47 PM, Roy said:

Kind of an unethical and disrespectful thing to do. Imagine if you were a therapist and your client showed up under the influence of something. How would you feel and perceive that?

If you want understand what they are tell you and looking to get the most out of therapy you need to challenge yourself in a sober state, without the aid of psychedelics. If you want to take something that's fine, but I'd save it for your own time at home. Just my two cents.

Also, didn't you have to sign a waiver that said they have a right to refuse giving you service and you'll still have to pay if you show up to a session under the influence? I know I did when I took therapy.

Desperate times require what? If I was a therapist I would be understanding. If it is a microdose nothing bad can happen. I'm not going to take a huge dose.

On 1-9-2022 at 5:56 PM, Javfly33 said:

As Leo said, once you are on the psychedelic the therapist is not of so much use. He/she will feel confused also.

Trip alone. ?

If you still want to try something similar, I think MDMA would me more according to that situation.

MDMA is a better option indeed. Especially on a small dose.

8 hours ago, Jannes said:

For me its the opposite with magic truffles. I just need a mirco dose and I light up and get super in touch with my emotions. I could also see how a psychologist could be super helpful while tripping because they can direct the trip. But of course it has to be with consent. 

Damn, micro dose of magic truffels is another option for me. Thanks. Perhaps even better than MDMA or LSD.

Which type of magic truffels do you recommend to come in touch with emotions?

On 1-9-2022 at 10:27 PM, Jodistrict said:

Not telling your therapist about a psychedelic is like taking a heart medication and then going to see you doctor, without telling him, and expecting it to somehow turn out all right.

Stan Grof is one of the pioneers of LSD therapy.   If you are interested in using LSD then you should seek out a therapist who has been trained in a method of therapy using LSD.

The problem is that if you have a serious freakout reaction, you need a healer who knows what he or she is doing.  The healer can guide you so that you liberate energy as opposed to being retraumatized.   The healers I have seen at shamanic ceremonies have a natural gift for guiding people through these experiences.  I doubt there are many therapists that have a clue on how to do this.

Taking psychedelics alone is called entertainment.

Most therapists don't know how to help me. They just don't understand why I can't access my emotions. I did some self-study on the topic and it is just lack of focus and automatic pilot that keeps me dissociating. 

Currently I'm doing a lot of meditation and concentration exercises and that helps me to stay present, connected to my body and emotions. Problem is that there are a lot of trauma energy coming up and fucking me up bad. I don't know how to process it so I end up masturbating to self-medicate.

Soon I will have a different therapist and I won't take psychedelics without getting to know her and such.

Edited by StarStruck

53 minutes ago, StarStruck said:

Damn, micro dose of magic truffels is another option for me. Thanks. Perhaps even better than MDMA or LSD.

Which type of magic truffels do you recommend to come in touch with emotions?

I only tried Atlantis which works great but maybe others are better. Just got other variants which I will try out for microdosing. 
I would try it out a couple of times for yourself before you go to a therapist to see how your behaviour changes. For example I become more like a playful but naive child not thinking to far into the future. I am also way more likely to take risks. Its good to know that about you so you can actively adapt your behaviour. 

So it is my second week with her and I felt comfortable telling her about psychedelics and the science behind it. Strangely enough she wasn't dismissive about psychedelics and why I take it: to connect to my feelings. Next week I might hint at popping a microdose of psychedelics before a therapy session and see how she reacts. Obviously she is not going to encourage it. It will be against the code of conduct of a therapist so I have to be careful how I bring it. Before micro-dosing for therapy, I still want to pop a mother load of LSD (like 300-400ud) for an individual session with myself before messing up my tolerance to microdosing for therapy though.

@StarStruck Just take a microdose without tellling her, no need for complicating things. I don't know where you live, but most therapists will not be comfortable with their clients telling them they will take psychedelics before the session. 

Edited by LSD-Rumi