Jonsey

Lost my job today at Amazon :-(

27 posts in this topic

I'm just venting/looking for a little morale support. If this is the wrong place for this kind of post, I sincerely apologize. Feel free to lock or delete it if this is the case. Not trying to start any trouble.

I lost my job today and I don't know what to do next about the problem I've gotten myself into because I don't know how it got to this point. I did anything and everything I possibly could to do my job well but after 2 years and 10 months, those assholes in the jungle finally found a way to fire me. They kept raising my rate to the point where I couldn't make rate anymore and I had no choice to fail. I had no choice but to go.

A week from now I have an interview for a job at AWS and I'm afraid I will fail.

"You can't think that way baby!"

"I know momma, I know."

"No, you don't know cause if you knew you wouldn't be doing what you doing right now."

"And what's that?"

"Moping, crying, feeling sorry for yourself."

"Momma I ain't moping and crying."

"Yes you are."

"Okay, fine! I'm moping and crying. Is that a crime now?"

"It will be if you keep doing it."

"Wait what?"

"You heard me."

I think I may not get the interview for the job because I got fired from my warehouse job. If this happens I'll have to go back to ubering which I like very much but to be honest; it's getting rather tiring. I want to move forward in my career, not backward. Regardless of what happens. I will do what I have to do to survive.

11 hours ago, Jonsey said:

lost my job today and I don't know what to do next about the problem I've gotten myself into because I don't know how it got to this point. I did anything and everything I possibly could to do my job well but after 2 years and 10 months, those assholes in the jungle finally found a way to fire me. They kept raising my rate to the point where I couldn't make rate anymore and I had no choice to fail. I had no choice but to go.

It sounds like you did the best you could and the company was ridiculous/abusive.  Working conditions like that can really mess up your mental/physical health.  It is hard because for abusive relationships to work.  We still have to be benefitting for them to continue and so we overlook the abuse and say we can handle it but it will still take a toll.

13 hours ago, Jonsey said:

A week from now I have an interview for a job at AWS and I'm afraid I will fail.

What job are you applying for there out of curiosity?

As for working in an Amazon warehouse, your experience is not isolated. Amazon are actually running out of people to hire in a lot of places now because their staff turnover rate is through the roof. It's 150% per year which is absolutely nuts. You're certainly not alone in being screwed over by them.

On 6/22/2022 at 10:45 AM, something_else said:

What job are you applying for there out of curiosity?

As for working in an Amazon warehouse, your experience is not isolated. Amazon are actually running out of people to hire in a lot of places now because their staff turnover rate is through the roof. It's 150% per year which is absolutely nuts. You're certainly not alone in being screwed over by them.

lol....I was applying to be accepted to their Work Based Learning Program in an attempt to become a Infrastructure Delivery Technician. I applied May 1st. My interview date was on June 27th. I studied for hours preparing for the interview. I was fired June 25th and was told the next day my AWS interview was cancelled due to my termination from the warehouse. I was told that AWS and the Amazon warehouses were not connected, but I forgot that I had applied for an internal transfer so in my case, they were connected and now it looks like I have to start all over again. :-(

On 6/22/2022 at 9:26 AM, PepperBlossoms said:

It sounds like you did the best you could and the company was ridiculous/abusive.  Working conditions like that can really mess up your mental/physical health.  It is hard because for abusive relationships to work.  We still have to be benefitting for them to continue and so we overlook the abuse and say we can handle it but it will still take a toll.

Thanks for the kind words Pepper. The physical toll wasn't really a problem. It was the mental anguish that really fucked me up. It seemed like the the write-ups became more frequent the closer I got to my 3 year anniversary.

I wouldn't work for them if I had the choice... (And I have indirectly so know a bit of what you're talking about). I think even McD is better in a sense...

I am Lord of Heaven, Second Coming of Jesus Christ. ❣ Warning: nobody here has reached the true God.

┊ ┊⋆ ┊ . ♪ 星空のディスタンス ♫┆彡 what are you dreaming today?

天国が来る | 私は道であり、真実であり、命であり。

On 6/22/2022 at 8:40 AM, JoeVolcano said:

Are you that desperate that you still want to work for them after that? Was that the career you were hoping to move forward in? Where is your self-respect?

I can only speak for myself, but personally I'd go back to ubering, or anything else I could see myself doing to pay the bills for the time being, while I work on whatever it is I really want to be doing with my life.

That is, unless you could already pay the bills right now doing what you really want to be doing, in which case of course do that.

Assuming you don't want to be Amazon's lap dog begging for scraps for the rest of your life.

And assuming you know what you do want in life. If not, that would be a good thing to start figuring out!

Cheers

WoW...I see why they call you JoeVolcano! :-) But you're right. I needed that tough love and blunt honesty. Very much appreciated.

At the warehouse I was making $17/hr. If I'd had gotten the job at AWS(Amazon Web Services), I would have been making $25/hr and if I would have passed their 12 week program, I would have gotten another promotion.

The plan was to move up within AWS. Stay for 10 years. Save a shitload of money in my 401k(got 18k so far, I could have had a lot more if I wasn't such a fucking idiot in my 20's). Keep Investing money in stocks(Robinhood) and Crypto(Coinbase). And when my 10 years are up, quit and start writing full time(fiction novels/short stories/plays or nonfiction). Or find work in South America involving the use psychedelics to uplift the spiritual and well being of those who need the guidance and the healing.

As of now, like you suggested, I'm going to go back to ubering until I find something else. Instead of using my car I'm going to uber using a rental(Tesla). Ubering in DC has been good to me in the past, hopefully it will be good to my Tesla in the future.

I really want to work at this place: https://momsorganicmarket.com/  The culture at that place has a very stage green/yellow vibe to it. If you know any other stage yellow/green organizations, please send them my way.

@Jonsey Seasonal jobs like fruit picking and farm assistant... They seem to always need good people. If you survived Amazon that should be pretty alright for short term..

I am Lord of Heaven, Second Coming of Jesus Christ. ❣ Warning: nobody here has reached the true God.

@puporing  A farm assistant sounds very interesting. I'm going to look more into that. Thanks Purporing!

@Jonsey you're welcome! Best wishes to you.

My sister worked for Amazon for 6 months. She had to leave due to mounting anxieties and an increasing amount of panic attacks due to the unrealistic workload, overtime and constant head bashing from her management over underperformance. Worth mentioning that NOBODY in the team was able to fulfill the monthly KPIs

Maybe you'll look back in a few months and congratulate yourself on not getting this job. It is not a company I would want to work with. The next day prime delivery comes at a cost that employees and the environment have to suck up the most. 

They pay you well, but they will take more than they give in return...in terms of your mental wellbeing and your health. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

On 29.6.2022 at 2:20 AM, Jonsey said:

The plan was to move up within AWS. Stay for 10 years. Save a shitload of money in my 401k(got 18k so far, I could have had a lot more if I wasn't such a fucking idiot in my 20's). Keep Investing money in stocks(Robinhood) and Crypto(Coinbase). And when my 10 years are up, quit and start writing full time(fiction novels/short stories/plays or nonfiction). Or find work in South America involving the use psychedelics to uplift the spiritual and well being of those who need the guidance and the healing.

Jesus dude, drop your lofty plans and start to get real with yourself. Dont waste your time investing your dimes and pennys in stocks and crypto and dont put your dreams off for 10 years. Start to take some fucking responsibility and dont hang out in some fancy online forums when clearly what you need is to take some action right the fuck now. Im not here to judge you or pitty you but what you need is a kick in the butt. Go to your mirror and look at yourself and then compare that with what you could be if you startet to get serious about your life. Dont even think about some lofty stage green or yellow ideas, what you need is someone like Jordan Peterson or David Goggins giving you the hard facts. Go make yourself into someone you can be proud of. This is not an option, you owe that to yourself! 

Hang in there brother.

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

13 hours ago, Nilsi said:

Jesus dude, drop your lofty plans and start to get real with yourself. Dont waste your time investing your dimes and pennys in stocks and crypto and dont put your dreams off for 10 years. Start to take some fucking responsibility and dont hang out in some fancy online forums when clearly what you need is to take some action right the fuck now. Im not here to judge you or pitty you but what you need is a kick in the butt. Go to your mirror and look at yourself and then compare that with what you could be if you startet to get serious about your life. Dont even think about some lofty stage green or yellow ideas, what you need is someone like Jordan Peterson or David Goggins giving you the hard facts. Go make yourself into someone you can be proud of. This is not an option, you owe that to yourself! 

Hang in there brother.

The Goggins is strong with this one!!

Thanks for the uplifting words my friend. I can't promise you I will drop my lofty plans just yet, but what I can promise is I will try my best to be "a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war!"

20 hours ago, Nilsi said:

Or find work in South America involving the use psychedelics to uplift the spiritual and well being of those who need the guidance and the healing.

If you have 18k in the bank, why not do this right now?

The sooner you see if it's actually for you.

Same with the writing.

Edited by flowboy

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

On 7/1/2022 at 3:17 AM, flowboy said:

If you have 18k in the bank, why not do this right now?

The sooner you see if it's actually for you.

Same with the writing.

Well that 18k is in my 401k. I have another 5k is in stocks and crypto. If I sell everything I have and pay all my debts, I'd have around 5k-6k left.

One of the things I want to do on my bucket list is to do a 20-30 day plant dieta at either Aya Healing Retreats or Psychonauta Foundation and immediately after, do a 21 day darkness retreat at darknessretreat.net/. But right now, I'd be satisfied just doing a 10 day Vipassana retreat at the Bhavana Society.

I'm not looking for a magic pill by doing these retreats. I'm just trying to get a deeper understanding of who I am and what thoughts and ideas arises from such an intense isolation practice. 

On 6/22/2022 at 6:40 AM, JoeVolcano said:

but personally I'd go back to ubering,

Have you ever driven for Uber?

On 7/7/2022 at 4:08 PM, Arcangelo said:

Awesome video...and an even more awesome man!!!

I have not heard the best things about working in Amazon warehouses.

@Jonsey Please don't drive for Uber. It's self imposed slavery. They pay $0.90 per mile in the best of cases. The cost of running a car is $0.55

It provides a cash flow, but when you crash and don't have the money to pay for the fixing, you understand that Uber just chewed and spitted you.