Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
no_name

Ayahuasca ceremony - scared about throwing up

11 posts in this topic

I am really worried about throwing up when drinking Ayahuasca. I’ve been told to eat lightly for 3 days before the ceremony - what does this exactly mean? What should I eat? Should I skip breakfast the day of? 

I hate hearing other people throw up too, and I hate throwing up myself. Throwing up in a group of people sounds horrible, I think this would make the experience absolutely terrible.

Would I throw up if I eat nothing for 3 days? Is there any kind of food I could eat that would guarantee me not throwing up? 

The only reason I am interested in Ayahuasca in the first place is because I don’t know where to buy psychedelics. 

Edited by no_name

Based on my own experience of doing ayahuasca: One of the most important things when doing ayahuasca (and I guess this goes for all psychedelics) is to surrender to and accept the process, including throwing up. Wanting to control whether you throw up or not is probably going to be counterproductive for your session. Just try to let go of your resistance and accept the high likelihood that it might happen. The easiest way to throw up is to sit on your knees and bow forward with your head just above the bowl. Throwing up is also said to have some purification elements. After you're done throwing up you usually feel very calm/clear and ready to go deeper into your session.

Regarding food: you should follow certain food restrictions starting around a week before you do the session. Be especially careful if you take any medication - there are contraindications with stuff like SSRIs/amphetamines and they should be completely avoided for weeks before the session. If the organizer of your retreat is not very clear about food/medication restrictions before the session, you might want to consider doing your retreat elsewhere.

On the day itself ayahuasca is generally taken in the evening when it's dark, and you can have a (light) lunch and skip dinner.

Hope this helps!

Light foods = light on the stomach

So not spicy or oily or whatever.

Consult your Shaman/Ayahuasca Center regarding diet prior to ceremony.

Regarding vomiting - don't make such a big drama out of it. Actually, because you are so scared of it I wish you will throw your guts out, to see that it isn't that bad as you think. Right now it is better for you to accept the possibility that it will happen to you, instead of resisting it and hoping it won't happen. It may happen or it won't, so don't bother trying to control it. It really is not in your hands.

2 hours ago, Batman said:

Consult your Shaman/Ayahuasca Center regarding diet prior to ceremony.

Regarding vomiting - don't make such a big drama out of it. Actually, because you are so scared of it I wish you will throw your guts out, to see that it isn't that bad as you think. Right now it is better for you to accept the possibility that it will happen to you, instead of resisting it and hoping it won't happen. It may happen or it won't, so don't bother trying to control it. It really is not in your hands.

I understand that it will most likely happen, I have thrown up in my life in the past, but I extremely dislike it, it almost feels like you’re about to die, and the sound of others throwing up, if I was alone it would be better. I feel this will be a traumatic experience. 

The organizer said only not to eat chocolate, avocados, bananas, fermented foods and to “eat lightly” 3 days before and 3 days after 

Edited by no_name

Fast for 12-24 hours before the drink.

Eat clean and healthy for the 3 weeks before the ceremony. Also good to keep up meditation and spiritual practice so that you are in the best state possible. 

Surrender to whatever happens during the trip. The more you resist the more you are likely to throw up. 
Throwing up is a natural response to the drink for most people. It actually feels good afterward. Purging whatever you needed to release. 

If your ceremony place is good, then they would make everyone feel safe and loved where they are okay with throwing up in front of each other. 

Also if you are afraid of throwing up you are likely not ready for a deep trip (ego death, God-consciousness, etc). So take small doses at first to test the water.   

Edited by erik8lrl

Throwing up on Ayahuasca is not like throwing up when you are sick.  That means that people generally feel good even great afterwards.  It is a purging of energy.  You can also do dry throwing up where there is no liquid, just release of energy.  Also, after throwing up you will generally go into a deeper state.   If you resist it you will be miserable.   That is the difference between Western and indiginous culture.  In the jungles, there are hundreds of plants to make people throw up in order to cleanse the body of parisites.  And children are routinely given plants to help them throw up.  It is an important curative practice.  The sacred tobacco is also used to induce vomit.  If you want to increase the likelihood of throwing up, drink plenty of water beforehand and have the Shaman blow mapacho smoke on you.  

Edited by Jodistrict

Vincit omnia Veritas.

8 minutes ago, Jodistrict said:

It is an important curative practice. 

Lol, sure, that’s why they on average live to a good old age of 55

1 minute ago, no_name said:

Lol, sure, that’s why they on average live to a good old age of 55

The indigenous Shaman who taught my teacher was over 100 years old.  

Vincit omnia Veritas.

Look up a list of food to avoid with MAOIs . 

Throwing up is likely (but not necessarily) gonna be a part of the process. 

All the blessings on your jouneys. Ayahuasca is a pretty interesting and intense medicine. 

Expect to purge. Its different than puking from nausea. Stop worrying.