Galyna

Borderline Condition Between Falling Asleep And Still Being Awake

14 posts in this topic

Hello guys,

Can you please stop by and help me to sort one thing out.  I have sometimes an interesting state of my consciousness. It occurs to me when I fall asleep and only in this state. I do not know what it is. I do not even know how to describe it. So today when watching "House" I fall asleep, but not completely, I could hear the voices and talks from the movie, however it is kinda like on the "backyard of my psyche". You hear the sound but the ability to analyze is completely turned off. It is just there. Sometimes when falling a asleep on my own, I close my eyes and when just ready to really fall asleep, it feels like my thoughts go through me, very similar to what we see at the end of the movie, black screen with running captions. I "hear" random words or phrases or even sentences, they are non-sense and not even connected, "somewhere on the backyard" but I do not analyze them, because I am so relaxed and part of me is turned off. They are running on their own. I become "empty" and detached from them.  

what is it? Do you have it in the meditative state as well? what kind of state of consciousness is it? Again, it happens only when I am about to fall into deep sleep, maybe couple minutes/seconds before. I do not really know how long it lasts, but it is a borderline state between being awake and half a sleep condition. 

has someone ever had it?

"All that we know is limited, something we don't - is infinite"

Yeah I've had this too.  In fact, i've often been woken from this state and just felt weird for a second as if everything is echoing, then I'd drift off to sleep.

But yeah, it's called Hypnagogia.

2 hours ago, Evilwave Heddy said:

Thank you a lot, I want to study this mental phenomena better, however it is hard to manipulate it, as soon as you become fully aware of it, it disappears. I have a feeling it can help you to approach the shift of consciousness that may lead to an interesting experience, but I do not know how to work with it.  

Edited by Galyna

here is what I found :"

The term hypnagogia comes from the Greek words for “sleep” and “guide,” suggesting the period of being led into slumber.

In this state, which lasts a few minutes at most, you’re essentially in limbo between two states of consciousness. You experience some elements of sleep mixed with some aspects of wakefulness, explains Pavlova."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/hypnogogia-dreams-creativity_us_56c5d16ce4b0c3c55053de38

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/04/deciphering-hypnagogia/478941/

Edited by Galyna

@brovakhiin yeah, but that is very interesting state of consciousness. It is almost disidentification with yourself.  

Hypnagogia is the shortest path for communication from your subconscious 

43 minutes ago, brovakhiin said:

Have you looked into lucid dreaming and consciousness during deep sleep?

yeah, I had five lucid dreams in my life. I was aware that I am sleeping and start to experiment with other people reactions, like giving a kiss to my female boss at work. ( I am straight, lol). Another one was in Europe, Vienna and I was aware of sleeping but could not figure of how my eyes could see, in fact I was trying to play with that sensory feeling. 

43 minutes ago, brovakhiin said:

While a meditative state could be described as lacking certain mental activity, like labeling, thoughts etc, it has an acute, flexible awareness and focus while when falling asleep, you're just falling asleep.

but here is my point, when I am falling asleep I am aware, that is the most beautiful feeling because I do not identify myself with the thoughts any more, I just observe them and they showering me with bunch of non-sense, they do not even connect to each other in meaning. I wish I could explain this better to you: it feels like I am a dark emptiness where the thoughts occur. 

Edited by Galyna

@SLICKHAWK  here read this:), it is exactly what I am trying to emphasize here: 

"Similarly, by comparing the hypnagogic state to REM dreaming, a 2013 study by the same researchers confirmed the long-noted observation that while dreams often feel fully immersive, hypnagogia tends to be experienced as if we were passive observers—with the hallucinatory thoughts and images occurring as a projection on our existing sense of reality."

-yeah, I am a passive observer, that is the coolest thing and the best way to wrap it into words. 

I was just wondering that this state of consciousness might be similar to what we all here want to achieve. 

what if we could be in this state longer, or know how to catch it to use it as a tool to enter the state of absolute pure awareness without any analysis. 

2 hours ago, Elisabeth said:

I wonder if yoganidra is supposed to be such a state...

@Elisabeth me too :)

Thank you, guys, for helping me to dig deeper. So thankful for this forum and people. :)

"Somewhere between the sacred silence and sleep..."

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." - Jiddu Krishnamurti

6 hours ago, Evilwave Heddy said:

What he said...

And there is its cousin - Hypnapompia. Happens while waking up from the sleep.

Both states are valuable for launching into lucid dream or for astral travel. There the technical term is MABA (mind awake body asleep). I've utilized those states a few times myself to get into non-physical. Its mother natures way, no techniques needed :) 

My Blog : : Pure Experiences : : Pure Knowledge