no_name

Do extroverts dominate the world?

8 posts in this topic

Wanted to hear your thoughts on some topics.

Do you think the world is catered towards extroverts? If so how?

Is majority of the world extroverts?

Do you believe introverts are being discriminated against? How? 

Do extroverts make more money? Why? Do they deserve to make more money?

Do extroverts make better leaders? 

If you have some other thoughts, please write them below.

Not really.

Bill Gates owns Microsoft and controls much of the computing world.

Mark Zuckerberg is also quiet and controls much of the social media world with Facebook and Instagram.

Do I need to mention Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein, Warren Buffet, Steven Spielberg, Eleanor Roosevelt, JK Rowling or Barack Obama?

3 hours ago, no_name said:

Since we're moving towards a more attention centered world with the internet, social media, celebrities etc. the world is catering more and more toward extroverts. Introverted scientists were cool back in the day. But today the people in science who are known are not the best scientists(who are strong introverts most of the time) but people like Elon Musk who has an extroverted persona online on Twitter etc. 

Look at the music industry as another example, back in the day it was composers that sat for thousands of hours practicing their instruments alone or writing music who were the big stars. Look at the big stars today, Doja Cat does not strike me as an introvert. And even if she is, her stage persona certainly isn't. Extroverts are better at grabbing our attention which generates more clicks and views, which generates more money. Also most artists today make most of their living playing live gigs. Many introverted artists like for example Avicii(RIP) suffered from this because they were forced to be on tour being exposed to large crowds of people all the time to stay relevant. 

The big stars of today are mostly extroverts and if they're not, they're pretending to be in public because that's what's needed to get peoples attention today. Movie stars, artists, politicians(think Donald Trump, extrovert deluxe), reality stars, influencers. These are the big stars of today and they're all extroverted or pretending to be. Not to say there isn't some introverted programmer sitting in his basement making millions of dollars. But he is not publicly known apart from a few exceptions.

3 hours ago, no_name said:

Yes and no.

Extroverts are better suited for certain leadership positions while introverts are better suited for other leadership positions. Extroverts tend to voice their ideas more often, not giving introverts much chance to voice their own opinions on things. This can be good and bad. It can give a group a certain direction and there will less uncertainty about what should be done and more executing of tasks, more productivity. But introverted people often have good ideas because they spend more of their time investigating thoughts and ideas by themselves, the ideas will be less mainstream and more out there, more creative. An extroverted leader of a band for example could be disastrous because in a band it's important to get the most creative power out of everyone in the band, everyone needs to have their ideas heard. And if everyone's not getting their ideas heard because they have an extroverted leader who is taking up a lot of space, a lot of good ideas will be lost and the introverted people will be too shy to voice their ideas even if their ideas are a lot better.

However maybe for a fast food place for example, it's better to have an extroverted leader. Because there's not much creative ideas needed but rather getting everyone to follow orders and to do the work required is what's most important in this case. An introverted leader could be a problem because they will not be as assertive towards others as is needed and they will leave more up to the group in terms of how to do things. This does not work with an immature group and will result is disorder and cutting corners. I have experience of this myself when i worked as a substitute teacher in elementary school. As an introvert myself I had a hard time not just letting the kids do what they wanted to do, which of course always ended with some sort of disaster :P. Some extroverted teachers are too assertive though and don't let the kids have any say in anything. Balance is a good thing. Kids can learn from their mistakes.

Edited by Asayake

Depends where you are and what you're doing in life. Introverts are discriminated against in business settings. Especially sales, marketing.... anything like insurance, realtors, etc.

Tech is dominated by introverts. Art and creative stuff is more introverts.

Overall it's more socially acceptable and you're better adapted to succeed if you're an extrovert. I would give up 15 IQ points to be an extrovert and naturally social / a smooth talker.

came to the forum to speak about this topic:

it seems like knowing how to talk, joke and throw playful comments meme is something like a second nature to some people. to me it feels like"how the hell are they doing this?! how do the find the right thing to say/put in a chat?!" it seems to me like they have a plan or like they rehearse this shit sometimes! but Idk, would love if Leo can talk about this more, as he say he's transcended being an introvert or something like that.

4 hours ago, no_name said:

No. There are so many options out there.

Is majority of the world extroverts?

I think extroversion as a trait, at least as conceived by laymen, is mostly defined relative to the general population, which would probably create a 50/50 split of intro/extrovert, but don't quote me on that :ph34r:

Do you believe introverts are being discriminated against? How? 

No.

Do extroverts make more money? Why? Do they deserve to make more money?

Idk.

Functionally speaking, yes, but things like agreeableness, conscientiousness and stress tolerance are probably more important.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

23 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

No

Why no ? There’s a book on Leo’s book list about this: how introverts are looked at as having something wrong about them, the book is about busting that myth and if I remember correctly, about how to best deal with introverted children.

generally I think  introverts get stereotyped and judge heavily if they don’t show social traits or try to jump in like extrovert do - I would’ve said “at least in the US” but I’ve experienced that also in other cultures.