no_name

How exactly do psychedelics help with anxiety/depression etc.

15 posts in this topic

Is it because they make you realize that these are all thoughts? Take life a bit lighter and easier? That on a grand scheme of things your “problems” don’t matter? Do they help you to let to go of anger/pain/make you more at ease and give you inner peace? 

For me personally I think it helped shine a light on what my problems were and showed me a way forward. It made me realize that if I didn't take certain action my life would be degenerating at an increasingly rapid rate. That realization in itself probably cause extra anxiety for me. But that turned out to be good in the end because I couldn't ignore my problems anymore but was forced to try to deal with them.

22 minutes ago, no_name said:

Is it because they make you realize that these are all thoughts? Take life a bit lighter and easier? That on a grand scheme of things your “problems” don’t matter?

You know this ;) :x otherwise you wouldn't ask the question like that :)

22 minutes ago, no_name said:

Do they help you to let to go of anger/pain/make you more at ease and give you inner peace? 

Yes, from experience, I can definitely say that they make you understand your pain, make you see what anger does to you.
If you have fears, they will help you move past them. If you have a fear of death. Well, be in for a few trips where you go "through" the death process, and watch how you still exist after death.
If you haven't felt real love in life. The kind of love where you are at ease and you flow with life. Then psychedelics will come forth and show/give you the love you have been denied.
I didn't quite understand Leo when he said that psychedelics will induce states of Love so intense that you won't be able to take it.
And he was/is precisely right about that.
I went through a DMT trip where I saw myself as the kitten example Leo mentioned in one of his videos. I noticed how I have been tense and unease and always felt unsafe (even if I thought that I was living in a safe and secure space) but I saw how I was like the kitten; tense and afraid of reality.
And how this DMT trip induced such DEEP intense Love within me, that I was feeling like I was being taken care of Universal Motherly Love.
It got SO INTENSE that I "thought" I died to love. It was so deep that I couldn't take the levels of love. I just instantly passed out when it reached the point of utmost intensity.

But its not always peachy and loving rainbows. You will go through the things that you have done to yourself and caused others. For your own understanding and growth. And that too is Love. Just a different flavor or Love/Healing/Growth.

Edited by Vincent S

“Life is just a break from an Infinite Orgasm. Prolong your break for as long as you want. Ride that wave. But don’t forget where you're headed.”

@Vincent S won’t all these realizations be temporary though? The moment the trip ends, wouldn’t you come back to your normal self?

The reason why negative thinking occurs is because that is what you are used to, so they say in order to stop the negative thinking, you have to replace it with positive thinking and do it until you become used to that and reprogram yourself. 

So technically, if you are consistently are trying to actively visualize love, being fearless, reasoning out with yourself how problems are imaginary, shouldn’t that achieve the same result, and also, long lasting? 

Its not just about your mind. Negative energy patterns stored in your body can be released with psychedelics (5 meo is good for this) . 

Your body saves emotional patterns. Trauma. If you just concentrate on your mind, with all the trauma stored in body, the negative patterns will take over your mind again and you will be depresssed again

Edited by OBEler

2 minutes ago, OBEler said:

with all the trauma stored in body

What if you concentrate on the mind while relaxing your body? Focusing on breathing or doing yoga? 

A trip has a therapeutic aspect to it. You get to see an alternative perspective on yourself from a state of higher consciousness/wisdom, which is what the therapist tries to facilitate within the client. 

There is a lasting reduction in self-talk, the mechanism with which most psychological patologies are experienced and perpetuated.

Awareness alone is curative.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

@Carl-Richard I feel that if it only lasts a few hours at most, I will easily forget this. I’ve had some profound moments in life where I thought “this is it, life is changed forever”, but nope, a few days if not hours after I would forget this and go back to my usual self. Unless a trip lasts a month or more I don’t think it will have profound effects.

8 hours ago, no_name said:

won’t all these realizations be temporary though? The moment the trip ends, wouldn’t you come back to your normal self?

Well it depends on how you look at it. Yes the feeling is temporary, but it shows you exactly what is in the way for you to feel this "permanently".
I like to see the whole psychedelic trip as a dance. Its not a "one-way" thing, as where you just lay back and receive 100% from the psychedelic.
Sure that would be the case for someone who is new to this. But after a while, or even from the beginning, you can get an "understanding" how to work with them. It’s a dance between you and the substance/medicine. You gain permanent changes when you contribute with your 50% and the psychedelic give you the spark or understanding you need to see what you want to remember about yourself (the other 50%) Both during and after the trip. Its also about learning when to lead the dance and when to be led. It’s not at all about control or wanting the trip to go the way you want it to go. That is not how it works.

We are Pure Potential. Potential to go further in to sleep and believe our programmings, routines, doubts, fears, anxieties and the issues we feel we have. (But that is just something the identity is stuck to/holding on to.)
Or Pure Potential to become the heroes we want to become in our stories, and break free from what we fear and staying in the status quo.

If we keep taking psychedelics, surely at some point we would start to understand how this whole thing works, no?
I think people who are stuck in the mindset that: "Oh no, if it disappears then it wasn't real" are not really getting the whole picture right. (Not saying that you are like this, just mentioning it)
The psychedelic states are a window of time where we see what we truly are (Pure Potential). And if we don't choose to act on the thing we see in the trip. Then it will die out in the water and we won't gain much from it. Then we have to keep going in and remind ourselves more and more, over and over again. Till we get it.

We have to CHOOSE to act on what we have been shown. Otherwise it will be lost and not utilized.

The reason why negative thinking occurs is because that is what you are used to, so they say in order to stop the negative thinking, you have to replace it with positive thinking and do it until you become used to that and reprogram yourself. 

Yes, precisely so. Its always a choice, but unfortunately or fortunately, depends on how you see it. You have to be willing to let that side of you "die" off, and that is not always easy. Its easy in thought. But if a programming or some thought has been hammered in deep enough, then it will be as if something has grown in to your fiber of being; of your body, flesh or skin, and by removing the side of you that you don't want; you have to be willing to cut in to the good parts of you that are tied in with that side you don't want.
But by consciously feeling in to it "dying off" with awareness methods, breathing techniques or Sedona. We can just watch how that fear/pain and letting that programming/identity die off. Feel the pain, but don't be attached and identified with it. Just watch it pass by. Like how the sky/atmosphere is watching dark or light clouds passing by.

So technically, if you are consistently are trying to actively visualize love, being fearless, reasoning out with yourself how problems are imaginary, shouldn’t that achieve the same result, and also, long lasting? 

Ultimately, Everything is Imaginary. That is kinda the toughest pill to swallow (IMO) and its not a one time thing, where we swallow it and it's done forever. It's just tied in with Change and Transformation (changing form, identity, patterns and programmings)

Yes and when we realize that our problems were precisely imaginary and just our fear of change; we kind of feel like idiots, and blame ourselves for not being able to see this before. But it’s important not to stay stuck there, just to see it as growth and a learning process, and pick yourself up and keep going. Similarly how a kid learns to walk, it will rise up and fall many times. Hurt its knees and cry of the pain. But at some point it will click and the kid will know how its done.

But I think, going through this way, we learn to Appreciate the illusion of life more. And the imaginary aspects of reality.
It’s all about seeing things for what they are and making your choice and choose what you want to experience.

Edited by Vincent S

“Life is just a break from an Infinite Orgasm. Prolong your break for as long as you want. Ride that wave. But don’t forget where you're headed.”

1 hour ago, Vincent S said:

If you haven't felt real love in life. The kind of love where you are at ease and you flow with life. Then psychedelics will come forth and show/give you the love you have been denied.
I didn't quite understand Leo when he said that psychedelics will induce states of Love so intense that you won't be able to take it.
And he was/is precisely right about that.
I went through a DMT trip where I saw myself as the kitten example Leo mentioned in one of his videos. I noticed how I have been tense and unease and always felt unsafe (even if I thought that I was living in a safe and secure space) but I saw how I was like the kitten; tense and afraid of reality.
And how this DMT trip induced such DEEP intense Love within me, that I was feeling like I was being taken care of Universal Motherly Love.
It got SO INTENSE that I "thought" I died to love. It was so deep that I couldn't take the levels of love. I just instantly passed out when it reached the point of utmost intensity.

Wow. That's amazing

"We are born of Love, Love is our mother" - Rumi

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9vkQMt-MlvK9Xvnf-Ji

20 minutes ago, Vincent S said:

Ultimately, Everything is Imaginary. That is kinda the toughest pill to swallow (IMO) and its not a one time thing, where we swallow it and it's done forever. It's just tied in with Change and Transformation (changing form, identity, patterns and programmings)

Yes and when we realize that our problems were precisely imaginary and just our fear of change; we kind of feel like idiots, and blame ourselves for not being able to see this before. But its important not to stay stuck there, just to see it as growth and a learning process, and pick yourself up and keep going. Similarly how a kid learns to walk, it will rise up and fall many times. Hurts its knees and cry of the pain. But at some point it will click and the kid will know how its done.

But this state and realization can be achieved in other ways. Like meditation + visualization. I think meditation is a lot safer too. DMT can be addictive, and I don’t think it’s good to depend on something external like this, like a crutch. Plus I wouldn’t even know where to find DMT in my city. Do people who are truly enlightened/at peace use regular psychedelics to achieve this state? Like Sadghuru? 

5 minutes ago, Tristan12 said:

Wow. That's amazing

Sure was/is. Gods Ultimate desire for all of us. To wake up to Love. An each one of us that gets touched with this Love, and to be transformed by it, and wanting to just share that Love. But who else can we give that Love to? Other than to ourselves; (Our other selves)

6 hours ago, no_name said:

But this state and realization can be achieved in other ways. Like meditation + visualization. I think meditation is a lot safer too. DMT can be addictive, and I don’t think it’s good to depend on something external like this, like a crutch. Plus I wouldn’t even know where to find DMT in my city. Do people who are truly enlightened/at peace use regular psychedelics to achieve this state? Like Sadghuru? 

Of course, but it will require so much more time and investment to reach those states with meditation and visualization alone.
What we do under meditation is to go deep within the inner workings of the self structure and rewire our "physical" or call it non-physical turned in to physical body structures, cells/holons, smaller parts of a bigger whole; And reprogram them, just the way psychedelics do.

What psychedelics do, is that they do that within a smaller time period, where we shed that old way of being.

I'm not sure Sadghuru knows this on a deeper level, that the physical body undergoes the exact same thing during meditation (during a longer period of time) that the psychedelics do to the body. Like Mushrooms, LSD, DMT and 5.
Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe he knows. And if he does, maybe he is stuck with playing the leader role he is playing, and like others have mentioned, he has a big following. The responsibilities he have to take for advising people to take psychedelics, would be huge. And whoever choose to abuse or misuse these substances, would give him a bad rep/name, if they go out publicly and tell people how they have gone wrong.

Psychedelics do this super fast, and if the psyche or body isn't ready for such huge shifts, it can turn out pretty badly. They cause the body to rapidly shake off its programmings that isn't working or in-tuned with the body. Through purging, mental-breakdowns, Kundalini outbursts and so on.
Which is why some are drawn to focus more on other more slower methods. But for the ones who choose and can work with these tools, is a HUGE blessing.

From an early age I knew that I wanted to work with psychedelics when I would get older. Even before knowing what psychedelics were and what they really do to you. I had a deep calling for it, and when I turned 28, it came to my life when I needed it the most. And when I was ready for the change It would give me.

Edited by Vincent S

@no_name you think too complicated. If you are afraid of being addicted to dmt(never heard that this is even possible), then Stick to 5 meo dmt or other psychedelica which are non Additive. 

The difference between doing Yoga and psychedelics is that psychedelics are more powerful, easier to do and they can Show aspects of your trauma no yoga exercise can Show you

@OBEler I am not exactly afraid, I am curious to try it. But there is a problem of not knowing where to find them - I don’t want to do it in a group setting and I rather do it privately in my own home. We are also not allowed to ask these kind of questions here so it seems there’s a dead end.