Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
caesar13

Psychology Books You've Read That You Found Helpful for Your Career

9 posts in this topic

As the title says, which books did you found useful in your work life? Any good book that you read that tells how small to medium companies work, the politics involved, and such? Anything that enlightens a person who is still in the early stages of his career?

Thanks in advance.

In that case, where do I start?. I've no knowledge of the actual "textbooks". Can you help me start by telling the title of the book and the author of a textbook?

Edited by caesar13

Adversity Quotient is a great book…

You don’t really need to read a psychology text book that would likely be a waste of time. But, maybe it would help. There are shorter more simpler books out there if you wanna get a big picture. 

“Don’t sweat the small stuff” is good

also, Harvard has an Emotional Intelligence For Business series that would be great!

The book “Bluefishing” 

Check out the app “Headway”

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

Reading a psychology textbook is what I did for my undergraduate and while it is an interesting read, and necessary to know psychology. 

You'd probably be better off just watching a YouTube doc on how the brain works and basic theories, or visiting a museum. 

Books that greatly influenced my psychology and work behavior were:

Non-violent communication: A language of Life written by psychologist Marshall Rosenberg. 

7 habits of highly effective people by Steven Cohen

So Good They Can't Ignore You by Cal Newport

I'd also recommend just listening to the audiobook The Power of Habit. That book solidified how important habits are for top performance.

Edited by SgtPepper

+1 on 7 Habits... by Stephen Covey. That's one of the most helpful books you can read.

Check Alex Hormozi on youtube

Edited by mostly harmless

Psychocybernetics is all you need. All those other books are mostly based on this book. Most of those other book contain fluff.

I think "Talent is overrated" is a solid book. I think I would classify it as a psychology book because it shows how something we believe that is actually not true can handicap our potential in life(and does so för most people). And it offers a way forward, how to become really good at something.

Reaching Down the Rabbit Hole: Extraordinary Journeys into the Human Brain by Dr Allan Ropper and Brian David Burrell. ...  

Elephants on Acid: And Other Bizarre Experiments by Alex Boese. ...  

Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me) by Carol Tavris and Elliot Aronson.  Pioneers of Psychology. ...  

How to Think Straight About Psychology. ...  

Thinking, Fast and Slow. ...  

The Psychology Major's Handbook. ...  

Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association. ...

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat. ...  

Getting In: A Step-by-Step Plan.

also take a look at https://goodmancoaching.nl which has a lot of good articles with personal psychology threads.

Edited by binder