LSD-Rumi

Leo, what do you mean by symbolic construction?

7 posts in this topic

You kept using this term in your latset videos, And I didn't quite get it. I know that my whole identity is a construction but symbolic construction? what does this mean?

If you think about yourself, you are actively constructing your sense of self. 

I don't know you personally, but for an example I just assume you like to meditate. So if that is the case, you want others and yourself to perceive you as a meditator. Because you identify with "sitting Stil", "knowing about Buddhism", "telling others how cool meditation is", "buying japanese scent candles for ideal meditation atmosphere" ect. 

But all these things are just mental constructions. If you look closely, "Buddhism" and "scent candles" are just mental substance, or thoughts. Thoughts are symbols for the actual thing. But the actual thing can only be felt not thought. 

That is what is meant with symbolic construction.

I'm not sure, but it sounds like another variant of the "self-referential thoughts" concept.

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

Using symbols to construct reality. Words and language are symbols. The map is not the territory.

Using symbols to construct your identity that is easily collapsible. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

Symbolic/conceptual aspects of mind which create meaning, narratives, explanations, reasons, logic, science, etc. The entire domain of language and all it enables.

For example your birth and death are actually symblically generated using language and concept.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Symbols represent or point to some non-symbolic perception. All forms of thought (be it concrete mental imagery or abstract propositions) act as symbols, but they also comprise their own perceptual reality.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.