Focus Shift

Is The Modern World A Curse?

10 posts in this topic

Living in today's society has with it a series of trade offs (much like anything else). There are many material benefits that give us security, and even happiness. However, with this comfort can also come complacency, and the expectation to conform. At one point I was much more enthusiastic in regard to artificial intelligence and Transhumanism. However, in recent years of meditating I have wondered if consciousness is even possible to replicate in a robot. Perhaps the integration of man and machine is inevitable. In the meantime, it would be useful to see the integration of social media to reduce its harmful effects (particularly on young people plugged into an unlimited dopamine device). Is the modern world antithetical to spiritual development? Or should we use technology to become self actualized? 

Connect with us here:

https://linktr.ee/focusshiftmedia

I really don't look at social media as a dopamine device. Frankly social media is where Iearned everything that I learned without walking into dark alleys. Social media is a huge boon for people to connect and quickly spread information. I have known the kind of things I have known over the last few years and I would have never known such things if I was simply interacting with people on the street, social media is such a huge box of knowledge. You're hugely underestimating social media.

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

1. What trade offs? I can't think of a single one.

2. Machine integration is obvious and inevitable, no point even debating this.

3. It's easy to test for consciousness in a machine.  See if it can use its own intent to influence a random number generator.

Edited by thisintegrated

13 minutes ago, Focus Shift said:

Is the modern world antithetical to spiritual development?

Nothing is ultimately antithetical to spiritual development.

14 minutes ago, Focus Shift said:

Or should we use technology to become self actualized? 

We will continue to use the technology we have developed unconsciously for some time.

Humanity is maturing. Tech like social media, robots, AI and VR are very new. We do not understand the full implications and Right Use of all our technology yet. That takes experience and will continue to evolve.

Great video. When I saw the post title I was already going to mention Ted K before even clicking through, so I'm glad it's a focal point of the video.

I think everyone should read Ted Kaczynski's Industrial Society and Its Future. This video gives a good overview but I still recommend reading the whole thing. You can find a free PDF online or even an audiobook version on Youtube if you don't want to read it.

Disclaimer, Uncle Ted was a terrorist that mailed bombs to people to get his message out, which I don't advocate. But the ideas are something you don't really hear from anybody else in the modern world, and are worth consideration.

Personally I fall somewhere in between. I don't want to live without my Baconators and CRUNCHWRAP SUPREMES, let alone modern medical care. But I think we can make burgers and tacos without organization-dependent technology. And now that we have most of our medical research advancements, I feel like it's mostly theory that we can apply with just drugs and blunt instruments, without the need for $500,000 machines.

I definitely don't want to live in a society with TikTok though. I don't think anyone can argue that we are oversocialized by Dr K's definition. I think modern technology has gone too far, but I don't want to go so extreme that I have to become Amish again either. 

For me the sweet spot would be to live in the year 1999 perpetually, but that's partially because I'm addicted to the internet and wouldn't want to give it up, even if I had to go back to 56k modems. But I'd be willing to go back to the 80s, or even the 50s, in order to live a more ideal life that's significantly more free from organization-dependent technology. That wouldn't be good enough for Ted since we'd still have cars, radio, etc etc but it's a good enough compromise for me.

Edited by Yarco

@Yarco I'm glad you found the video to be informative, it's a topic I've wanted to explore for some time. Although I do think social media doesn't help with our social lives, there's still plenty of ways to meet really conscious and aware people if you know where to look and put yourself out there. I'd just like to go back to the 80s or 90s for a bit for the music lol

That's awesome that you're into Dr. K too by the way!! :D

Edited by Focus Shift

Connect with us here:

https://linktr.ee/focusshiftmedia

@Focus Shift you are now. You are love. You are eternal ❤️.

Regarding what you said, does it really matter in the end? Why is transhumanism and say living to infinity really important to you? :) 

@Focus Shift

On 4/12/2022 at 1:09 AM, Focus Shift said:

Living in today's society has with it a series of trade offs (much like anything else). There are many material benefits that give us security, and even happiness. However, with this comfort can also come complacency, and the expectation to conform. At one point I was much more enthusiastic in regard to artificial intelligence and Transhumanism. However, in recent years of meditating I have wondered if consciousness is even possible to replicate in a robot. Perhaps the integration of man and machine is inevitable. In the meantime, it would be useful to see the integration of social media to reduce its harmful effects (particularly on young people plugged into an unlimited dopamine device). Is the modern world antithetical to spiritual development? Or should we use technology to become self actualized? 

The modern world is both a blessing and curse, but thinking makes it much more.