Husseinisdoingfine

/mddg/ - Maladaptive Daydreaming Disorder General

7 posts in this topic

Is anyone else here an excessive daydreamer?

I. Can’t. STOP.

I don’t know what it is with me, I can’t stop creating these bizarre scenarios in my mind. Every time I do this, I hurt my own feelings. My daydreams create these incredibly strong emotions and I don’t know how to deal with them. I am so addicted to daydreaming that I can’t pull away literally because the story is so compelling. I waste hours each day just pacing back and forth. Meditation has not helped. I can’t go for walks anymore as it triggers the daydreaming.

أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله وأشهد أن ليو رسول الله

Give more info on these daydreams. Generally they're a distraction technique from some trauma, creating a scenario that parallels the emotions you're avoiding in a fantastical way as a way to help you process them.

I struggle with this too. Just like you said, I waste hours every day pacing back and fourth just thinking about things. My mind is obsessed with it and its so hard to get myself to stop. I have a lot of trauma and blocked emotions that I am trying to work through and heal and its extremely obvious to me that this is what is creating this obsessive day dreaming. Its common for the mind to become obsessed with thinking as a way of avoiding the difficult emotions that are trapped within you, because they make your normal present experience so uncomfortable

Meditation has not solved this for me either, nor do I expect it to, at least any time soon. I've been meditating an hour a day for 2 years now and my thoughts still race like crazy. I know what I need is to heal my trauma and release my blocked emotions because that is the only thing that will solve this problem at the root

Edited by Tristan12

"We are born of Love, Love is our mother" - Rumi

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9vkQMt-MlvK9Xvnf-Ji

Do it as much as possible and then one day you will be fed up and it will stop on its own. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

I am dealing with the same thing, is an addiction and a coping mechanism. 

I agree, it's a coping mechanism.  I have this too btw.  Feeling frustrated about thinking how much of my life I already wasted with daydreaming, feeling spaced out and constantly procrastinating.  

Perhaps we can use this thread to motivate each other to get out of this viscious circle.

I think starting off with an agenda , to create a schedule for the day.  (I'm already thinking I'll not keep to it)

So I will start with these goals: starting tomorrow:

-get up early, take a cold shower 

-do my affirmations

-DMT breathwork

- work

After watching some psychologist talk about this, I think I have more like a lot of mind wandering going on.  Not completely the same as maladaptive daydreaming apparently, but she said something about notice your triggers.  I think this may be helpful and to add mindfulness throughout your day. Pay attention to whenever you wander and notice (perhaps write down) what was the trigger.  There will be a lot but when you understand that others have this too, it's no reason to beat yourself up. I just did it and notice becoming more aware of these underlying emotions that are in the background but not fuly felt.  

Journaling might help too. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df2JBnql8lc

Taming your wandering mind.