Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rnd

Does drinking coffee as the very 1st meal a day harm stomach in any way?

15 posts in this topic

I usually skip breakfast and the 1st time I eat is around 11:00 or 12:00. However, before that I also drink coffee in a coffeeshop -- black esperesso, with no sugar , no milk.  And there's always a dilema:

(1) have some fruits at home before drinking coffee

(2) have nothing and only drink coffee

For some time I went with (2) then switched to (1). And now I question the process again.  Fasting and non-fasting windows for me have been 12h-12h for several years, but I want to make the fasting one longer.

If I have some fruits before coffee, then that'll break my fasting window of time restrictive eating, by several hours, right?

On the other hand, if I have coffee as the 1st meal per day, then it won't break my fasting window, but: coffee alone, as the 1st meal after 12 hours fasting, I guess, is harmful for the stomach. Not?

Edited by rnd

You could consider making it Americano (sugar-free) so that it is not as strong and the acidity is diluted. Otherwise it doesn't matter. 

Coffee does not break your fast but if you are already fasted (increased stress hormones due to caloric deficiency) your adrenals will be even more blasted by coffee so that's something to bear in mind too. If the fasting is to heal then addition of the coffee could be counterproductive. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

3 hours ago, Michael569 said:

You could consider making it Americano (sugar-free) so that it is not as strong and the acidity is diluted. Otherwise it doesn't matter. 

I drink strong coffee on purpose.

What do you mean by "otherwise it doesn't matter" ?

If the fasting is to heal then addition of the coffee could be counterproductive. 

Heal what? I do it for health. What else can  fasting be used for?

I recommend using paper filters, especially if you are fasting (slower metabolism) and especially if you are drinking decaf :P

You can cut them yourself with a proper sized circle cutter. In my case it's impossible to buy proper size for my espresso machine and moka. I use brown bamboo towels as a filtering material. I put 4 layers of towel and one A4 sheet of paper (to make cutting easier).

Edited by Username

10 hours ago, Michael569 said:

Coffee does not break your fast but if you are already fasted (increased stress hormones due to caloric deficiency) your adrenals will be even more blasted by coffee so that's something to bear in mind too. If the fasting is to heal then addition of the coffee could be counterproductive. 

Could l-theanine be the solution or does it just mask the problem?

11 hours ago, rnd said:

If I have some fruits before coffee, then that'll break my fasting window of time restrictive eating, by several hours, right?

Most definitely.

11 hours ago, rnd said:

And there's always a dilema:

(1) have some fruits at home before drinking coffee

(2) have nothing and only drink coffee

What about just do nothing?

No coffee, no fruit.

I know some people really love their coffee, but from a health perspective, I don’t see it as necessary. If your concern in energy, there are better ways to get energy IMO.

Alternatively, you could start swapping coffee for tea that has no calories. This way you still get something warm to drink and possibly caffeine, but does not break your fast.

Coffee is not good if you suffer stress. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

9 hours ago, Username said:

I recommend using paper filters, especially if you are fasting (slower metabolism) and especially if you are drinking decaf

Does that actually make a difference to the taste? Never tried using filters

9 hours ago, Michal__ said:

ould l-theanine be the solution or does it just mask the problem?

Theanine has the opposite effect from coffee. It is calming and (at least theoretically) should give you the stable level of focus and energy without the spike but personally, I've never felt any effects from even going up to 1000 mg and that was a highly reputable brand with a clean product so I dunno....

16 hours ago, rnd said:

Heal what? I do it for health. What else can  fasting be used for?

Fasting can be used for all sorts of purposes. A lot of people use it to heal a health condition. For spiritual practices, for regrounding and reconnection with your inner self or tour inner child or even during processing of traumas fasting can make it easier to excess certain states. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

11 hours ago, aurum said:

What about just do nothing?

No coffee, no fruit.

I know some people really love their coffee, but from a health perspective, I don’t see it as necessary. If your concern in energy, there are better ways to get energy IMO.

Alternatively, you could start swapping coffee for tea that has no calories. This way you still get something warm to drink and possibly caffeine, but does not break your fast.

Doing nothing isn't  an option because in the mornings I work with my laptop in a coffeshop, while my head is fresh.

I don't drink tea, except when I may be sick with flu. And in coffeeshops there's no great tea anyway, they have only the cheapest crap which hardly can be called tea.

Edited by rnd

Does that actually make a difference to the taste? Never tried using filters

I don't think that there is an obvious difference. One coffee may taste so different one from another that it makes hard to spot the difference caused by filter.

Theanine has the opposite effect from coffee. It is calming and (at least theoretically) should give you the stable level of focus and energy without the spike but personally, I've never felt any effects from even going up to 1000 mg and that was a highly reputable brand with a clean product so I dunno....

Don't you feel a difference between coffee and black tea? Black tea has small amount of l-theanine. I feel like tea acts much softer (however it might be also because of volume), coffee is harsh and I feel instant dirty excitation.

1 hour ago, Username said:

Don't you feel a difference between coffee and black tea? Black tea has small amount of l-theanine.

I believe the content of L-Theanine in tea is very very low. I recall it is like 15mg per teabag of green tea or something like that (don't recall the exact amounts) Maybe double for black tea. In research, they usually go up to 1000mg to get some interesting effects. 

I find green tea slightly stimulating but the effect goes away fairly quickly where with coffee the effects lasts longer but it sometimes makes me more impulsive. Haven't drunk black tea for a long time but may give it a shot again for comparison. 

27 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

I believe the content of L-Theanine in tea is very very low. I recall it is like 15mg per teabag of green tea or something like that (don't recall the exact amounts) Maybe double for black tea. In research, they usually go up to 1000mg to get some interesting effects. 

I find green tea slightly stimulating but the effect goes away fairly quickly where with coffee the effects lasts longer but it sometimes makes me more impulsive. Haven't drunk black tea for a long time but may give it a shot again for comparison. 

Black tea has more l-theanine. Google says it has 25 to 60 milligrams per 200 ml. I drink rather strong tea so it might be 60 or more for me. I also used l-theanine in a powder form. Dose of a 200 mg was enough to give me feeling of slow motion mode ^_^

1 minute ago, Username said:

Black tea has more l-theanine. Google says it has 25 to 60 milligrams per 200 ml. I drink rather strong tea so it might be 60 or more for me. I also used l-theanine in a powder form. Dose of a 200 mg was enough to give me feeling of slow motion mode ^_^

I react to l-theanine strongly too. Do you drink it on an empty stomach by chance? 

@Michal__ I haven't used it for a while now. I think I rather added l-theanine to my first coffee so it my stomach was still empty.