PhilGR

Young Green and Dumb

10 posts in this topic

I post this here bc I know it's the only community that provides healthy criticism.

Some background info.

I'm 19, growing up in Greece of the economic crisis from a working class family I didn't witness a healthy social environment around me. I saw social struggle, false promises, uncertainty, protests, killings , fascist parties, destroyed families, famine and immigration and poor education. 

By family savings and a part-time job I managing to be at the Netherlands studying Food Technology, something that I like. I live in Wageningen, one of the Greenest cities of the world I would say, small city only with progressive/green future scientists living inside and I have met people of all kinds in 2 years.

I grew up in a relatively orange/blue family and since I moved the more open-minded I have become. I would like not to hold ideologies but I think as a neo-Marxist lets say.  Lately I have been feeling an anger.

You know something? The world is unfair, I want to change it, I want through my science to really push the food systems to more sustainable. We really don't have a second planet and billions will need food. If the world is about to transcend to green I want to be one of the people who will bring a significant change. Capitalism is dying or basically is transcending to Techno-feudalism. I want to try as much as I can in my field put I will not be afraid to join a revolt, we have to reinvent democracy here.

I don't know how you people feel in the other parts of the world but as I see it the "Green" bourgeoise hippies (most of the activists in Netherlands and western world) are not willing to change drastically. We need drastic change here and we need to unify for that. 

My problem is that sometimes I fall myself in this trap of idealism. I tend to dream and plan and follow the media and smoke pot and be like a loose person.

I'm really believing in my purpose but I think due to my teenage years in Greece I became Green (because of obvious inequality) kind of fast and kind of ignoring some orange/blue values. 

I came up with this thoughts after watching the Jordan Peterson video. Lately I'm trying to quit pot and try to pass some fucking exams.

Sometimes it sucks thinking about politics ,philosophy, social revolution and the only thing I can do about it is pass my Statistics exam ( I'm not touching the part that even my Green university teaching philosophy is how to find the most profitable production ways for companies)

Does anybody have similar experience or comments. 

Please hurt my feelings, I will not change the world if I act like a potato.

I get your desire to want to change the world for the better, but it is vital that whatever you are going to do as your purpose to make the world a better place, that it is coming from a healthy and stable ground within your own psychology. The world is such a vast place, and I just want you to be aware that you on your own cannot be the person that changes everything around. In other words: You yourself won't be the deciding factor whether we will turn around something like global warming or whether the world goes to shit.

What it comes down to ultimately in my opinion is that we must seek our specific way in which we can contribute our gifts to the world, and detach ourselves from the results that come from it, even if we have goals and milestones we want to accomplish. Be focused on what you are to give and the changes you are able to make within your limited but valuable sphere of impact. Meaning: The people that you come into contact with which you see and give you the feedback of how much they appreciate your work.

Always remember that you on your own won't be able to turn the tides and therefore it involves a lot of risk to attach yourself to outcomes which are much larger than you personally are able to do much about, relative to the scale at which it manifests; Such as: changing the world.

I know you talk about unifying people so that we collectively can make enough of a collective statement and impact that things will change around before perhaps it's too late, but if this would be your counterargument against all that I just said, that we need to bring people together so that we can make big changes, then you are missing the point. The point is that you on your own won't be able to change the tides of where humanity is going no matter how hard you try, so the only wise thing to do is to take responsibility and action towards what you are able to do and accomplish, but surrender to the forces that are outside of your control.

Edited by Nightwise

Instead of trying to make the right decision, make your decisions right.

34 minutes ago, Nightwise said:

I get your desire to want to change the world for the better, but it is vital that whatever you are going to do as your purpose to make the world a better place, that it is coming from a healthy and stable ground within your own psychology. The world is such a vast place, and I just want you to be aware that you on your own cannot be the person that changes everything around. In other words: You yourself won't be the deciding factor whether we will turn around something like global warming or whether the world goes to shit.

What it comes down to ultimately in my opinion is that we must seek our specific way in which we can contribute our gifts to the world, and detach ourselves from the results that come from it, even if we have goals and milestones we want to accomplish. Be focused on what you are to give and the changes you are able to make within your limited but valuable sphere of impact. Meaning: The people that you come into contact with which you see and give you the feedback of how much they appreciate your work.

Always remember that you on your own won't be able to turn the tides and therefore it involves a lot of risk to attach yourself to outcomes which are much larger than you personally are able to do much about, relative to the scale at which it manifests; Such as: changing the world.

I know you talk about unifying people so that we collectively can make enough of a collective statement and impact that things will change around before perhaps it's too late, but if this would be your counterargument against all that I just said, that we need to bring people together so that we can make big changes, then you are missing the point. The point is that you on your own won't be able to change the tides of where humanity is going no matter how hard you try, so the only wise thing to do is to take responsibility and action towards what you are able to do and accomplish, but surrender to the forces that are outside of your control.

true! that was nightly wise! 

and my two cents here will be that most of the world is still in blue  and red. so green is a massive non existent ideal for most people on earth and they will never reach such levels of thinking in their life time. ik the inequality, income gap and the shitholes on earth are truly depressing realities  can be solved through a green society, but it's hard to skip stages. if blue people all of a sudden started thinking about animal rights, and gave up nationalism, they will likely be invaded by the neighbouring country . so this is a problem of life and death.

my mini-blog!

https://wp.me/PcmO4b-T 

@Nightwise  Ι actually agree with you. Maybe from text I seemed liked a megalomaniac, I know I can't change the world or whatever but I figured that I have to dream big to accomplish something valuable for the society in the long run. So my plan was basically finish my BSc in Food Technology do a Minor in Physiology of Consumer Behavior and then do a MSc in Food Law and at the end work somewhere like Food and Agriculture Organization or some EU organization that there I can actually have an impact on policies and regulations that impacts the food people eat. Its a very possible scenario actualy.

The problem is that now in my BSc I have to learn this basic science stuff and I mean, I like science ,but when I dream this big I get demotivated and lose my patience. That results not putting my 100% on classes and fail some courses (they are genuinely hard tho). So how the fuck I should stay grounded and discipline myself when my mind is travelling.

@PhilGR 

Can one person change world? ... ... ... First of all everyone is changing world all the time, but the difference between them is that some leave positive and others negative impact behind them.

Point is not to be just philosophical, but to make it clear that if you want good to people around you then you are already changing world in a sense and you should be proud of yourself : )

If you really wanna make huge impact on population I would progress wisely step by step first building proper foundation of communication, argumentation, thinking, charisma and self confidence overall so you can be good "leader" to "your" message to the world. To do so you should be extremely interested about policy not because of it is somehow so important, but you can learn basic argumentation mistakes that they use again and again and not to fall into same traps.

If you want people to eat more healthier food now is great time to think about maybe opening vegan/non dairy/ non wheat food industry or restaurant. Due to people having more stage green values there would be customers who want healthy food to them and their families. 

Also remember that you will have only as great impact to the world as you are progressed as person so go and watch Leo's videos how to develop as person. Work your inner demons and all other negative aspects of yourself. Learn not to get mad when things get hard, because when you get angry you cannot function normally and that way your thinking capacity will be worse. 

Learn meditation and inform people around you to even try once. You will see that it is not that easy to change people when they don't want to change by themselfes and that is time when it comes to basic psychology. You have to understand what drives people to do anything in life and that of course is that they want be happy and have fun. Also one negative motivator is that people are in survival mode and they are scared. You need to be good at explaning why people should change some behaviors, because without extremely good reasons they don't want to change.

Start to see yourself not as one indivual ego which in sense is not even real, but as collective of population and that way you can see that you are doing huge huge huge difference with "others". 

VERY IMPORTANT !!

Don't be so attached to change world, accept reality as it is right now and do little things to help people around you and we will as community someday be more concious : )

To the reader, I hugely love you <3

Who told you that "others" are real?

3 hours ago, Kksd74628 said:

If you really wanna make huge impact on population I would progress wisely step by step first building proper foundation of communication, argumentation, thinking, charisma and self confidence overall so you can be good "leader" to "your" message to the world.

there, good & tangible advice! these skills are VITAL if you want to be a LEADER, and the only way you're going to make a big scale impact is if you become one.

Steve jobs traveled to India two-ish years before founding Apple, he was searching for enlightenment , spirituality & inspiration, its the same for you, its just that you will be searching for different things (communication, argumentation, thinking, charisma and self confidence)

p.s you don't necessary have to travel anywhere

when u move from beginner to intermediate or advance ,u realize that every field include yours is corrupt .the people above u are egotistical.u willl need a lot more than  u think willpower to make a remarkable change. even then u will be attacked on all sides .u should have a correct expectation and have persistance and patience.read robert greens book and work on the political aspects of thinks.

Edited by itachi uchiha

I think my vision, my communication skills etc are good. But right now Im a scientist and I need to get my degree. whoever studied science will understand. I need to become a machine really, wake up on time, eat well, manage my small budget, clean my room , attend all classes  , keep notes, do self-study, work part-time, have a girlfriend, attend social events/parties, exercise and also get time to chill, and read philosophy/politcs etc.

That's basically my days and weeks right now. Most of the time I can't achieve all but if I was acting like a machine I would.

like with 0 procrastination and distractions it works. At least act like that till I get my degree and then move to my Masters which will be more interesting and focus more on my purpose (still requires studying).

Edited by PhilGR

@PhilGR  It's all about time management and way to think about things. First of all you could sometimes eat with your friends/girlfriend and that saves you little bit time if you are in hurry. Also one thing that may help is preparing your whole weeks food all at once, because that saves time, energy, money even and most likely that way you can stick to good diet easier.

What there is to clean in your room if it's already clean? ... ... ... Point is that unnessessary stressing and "need" to do everything just makes things harder in the long run, because of you need to clean everything you did poorly at the begin with.

Maybe you don't have time to do everything everyday, but try to think with biger perspective and list things you wanna do in that time and calculate what you can "buy" with your time and how much. Also You can search for tons of different videos that teach basics of learning and how to do that more effectily and that would save some time from you.

Watch this Youtube video for Time management

Also just telling to your friends and girlfriend that you have troubles with your time will make them more understanding towards your situation and maybe not be so needy with your little time.

Meditating helps you to have better concentration and calmer mind and that way it does not only help you to succesfully complete your "tasks", but it makes you feel better overall and isn't that thing you are aiming : )

How much are you exercising and doing self-study? ... ... ... Most likely you are doing those more that needed when taking consideration your life situation. You don't have time to do some kind of 5 day split workout program and that is not even wise. When it comes to self-study you should maybe study what you can do better in day to day basics that give you more energy and joy. I would still use that time just to meditate, because I see from your writings that you are not that calm and that is normal now a days, because peoples concentration span is less than 10 seconds maybe not even that thanks to electronic devices and hurry.

Remember you don't need that much time to chill even if that would be nice I don't disargee, but loving your life and it's beautifulness alone can make you so happy that you don't crave chilling anymore.

Question: is it really needed to graduate in time? ... ... ... What I mean is that maybe if your life is so full right now you should maybe progress in it more peacefully, because if you think it where do you need to hurry in life. Your most important and funny time in your life you waste by being stressed out every single day and maybe that will damage your relationship with your girlfriend so that someday she just tells you that she is not that interested about you and I am not trying to build any excess stress, but that is how life works. Most of us can't be in busy relationship and also if you are that stressed are you really being as good boyfriend to your girlfriend or friend to your friends that you can? Stress usually makes you have more problems with your all relationships and those can again use your limited time and energy levels.

AGAIN VERY IMPORTANT !!

Doing couple of things exellently is always better than trying to do too many and fail miserably in all of them : )

To the reader, just breath <3

Who told you that "others" are real?

@PhilGR i don’t really understand if you want to change the situation in greece or in the netherlands.