Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Yali

Heavy Metals in Common Foods vs Protein Powder

86 posts in this topic

Health foods like Nuts (10.20mcg) , Spinach (7.00mcg) and Sweet Potato (7.20mcg) have more Lead than any protein powder (2.0045mcg) you'll find on the market yet Leo discourages protein powders but not these health foods? Doesn't make sense!

here's the data, Garden of Life Protein Powder vs Common Foods we all eat:

You can see for yourself!

https://www.gardenoflife.com/media/wysiwyg/GOL-PROTEIN-HEAVY-METALS-RESULTS_JULY_2020.pdf

WEB_18218_Lead-in-Common-Foods-768x603.jpg

Edited by Yali

To be frank this makes no sense. 

Should we stop eating all foods because nearly everything contains lead? 

I will eat all the leafy greens and all the veggies and fruits. 

I just don't believe all this stuff. It's unnecessary. 

I understand metals in fish but it's kinda getting a bit ridiculous. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

7 minutes ago, Yali said:

here's the data, Garden of Life Protein Powder vs Common Foods we all eat:

https://www.gardenoflife.com/media/wysiwyg/GOL-PROTEIN-HEAVY-METALS-RESULTS_JULY_2020.pdf

do you really expect GOL to have anything on their website that could harm their reputation? :D Google Garden of Life heavy metals and you'll find a long list of articles about how their and Vega's products are just the worst of the rubbish pile 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569

do you really expect GOL to have anything on their website that could harm their reputation?

These studies were done by a leading third-party independent testing agency, not GOL.

5 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

the worst of the rubbish pile 

Not any worse than common foods we all eat.

Check the numbers my friend.

Edited by Yali

6 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

it's kinda getting a bit ridiculous. 

It is ridiculous.

Don't eat protein powder. 

It's like eating a bar of metal. :D

Edited by Preety_India

@Yali I don't disagree with you. Some foods are contaminated more than other. 

But eating natural foods like fruits & vegetables is consistently associated with better health outcomes, meaning people who eat them have better health and less chronic disease which shows us that there is something in those foods that also protects us from those toxins. And then individual variations in genetic and health determine how much of that we absorb. Things like mercury and lead may tie to the fibre content of the meal and get excreted compared to animal food that has no fibre. Plants also have polyphenols many of which support natural detoxification. 

And finally, for those that are concerning either avoid them or buy them organic if budget allows it. If we start restricting everything that has ever ben shown to contain traces of metals and pesticides we are down to becoming breatharians.

On the concentrated powders, well: don't eat them. Easy. Anything that is hyper concentrated can be an issue if the source is not clean. Powders are stripped of fibre and other components ion raw food that protect us. If worried, dump them all 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Preety_India

yet this is how "health experts" like @Michael569 thinks. It's fear-based thinking.

If I shouldn't eat protein powder, then I shouldn't eat Spinach either. o.O

1 minute ago, Preety_India said:

Don't eat protein powder. 

It's like eating a bar of metal. :D

1 minute ago, Michael569 said:

traces of metals and pesticides we are down to becoming breatharians.

Even then we could get exposed to pesticide fumes. Lmao :D

9 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

@Yali something in those foods that also protects us from those toxins.

This is speculation. @Michael569

Edited by Yali

Take some advice from Leo on this subject matter. 

He knows a thing or two. 

Mention Leo on your thread. 

@Michael569

You seem to be biased against Protein Powders yet all these Protein Powders contain less lead  than many of the health foods you would recommend.

Admit your bias.

Edited by Yali

Just now, Yali said:

@Michael569

You seem to be biased against Protein Powders yet all these Protein Powders contain less lead content than many of the health foods you would recommend.

Admit your bias

Not at all. I have recommended protein powders to clients before, not any protein powders just brands I trust. 

I have a bias about relying on powders while ignoring real foods. I will happily admit that. I have no issue with recommending a high quality, tested powder to someone who might benefit from it if they have already put their diet in order and are eating natural, mostly unprocessed foods. 

Whenever powders are concerned you are concentrating ingredients and that by definition can be tricky if the food is not clean. If 1 apple was contmainated, taking apple extract could be potentially much more harmful (gram for gram). That's what I said before you blamed me of fearmongering 

@Yali what is your opinion on this. It's a statement taken from web? 

The new independent study shows lead, BPA, mercury, cadmium and arsenic are present in top-selling nutritional protein powder supplement products. More than 75% of plant-based protein powders had measurable levels of lead, while one contained more than 25 times the allowed regulatory limit of BPA in just one serving.

16 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

@Yali what is your opinion on this.

You already know my opinion.

Even though 75% of plant-based protein powders have "measurable levels of lead", those "measurable levels of lead" are less than many common foods.

Check the sources above.

Edited by Yali

5 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

If 1 apple was contmainated, taking apple extract could be potentially much more harmful (gram for gram).

If 1 apple has more Lead content than taking Apple extract then that 1 apple is more harmful.

Likewise with Protein Powder vs "real foods".

@Michael569

Edited by Yali

@Average Investor

Why are you fear mongering? As you can see above, many safe, natural healthy foods contain up to 5 to 10 times more lead than these "evil" protein powders.

Stop adopting Leo's beliefs like a sheep & think for yourself!

Edited by Yali

@Yali For all I know Leo is sponsored by Nestle. I don't know what my comment has to do with him. I've formed my opinions on these products before he has mentioned it.