Aware

Ball Earth Vs Flat Earth.

109 posts in this topic

You are all wrong, the earth is triangle shaped :P

@brovakhiin Its a big big thing indeed.

It raises much questions. However, I just realized that many just find it ridiculous to even question rather the earth is a ball or not. I find that science is in the hands of everyone. And I expect not that everyone must really explain everything. However an open minded mind, that really asks rather its a ball or not, is valid, even seeming to be ancient when it comes to flat or not. And should not be debunked by simply "There is so much proof". While they have not done their investigation themselves. All it took is a school book and some people with a name.

So yes, I promote this topic here. So that people indeed are challenged by their views, and may indeed start to use science themselves instead of letting others doing it for them, and then saying: See, its real or not real, because I say so.

Its not about: Well why would NASA lie (if no reason can be posted here, then its a ball). That is sophism... Its not the point. The point is to challenge, to start seeing that it might not be so, and might be different, and why not testing it ourselves? Become adventurous once more, not letting others telling how it is and how it is not. That is what I promote here. Think for yourself. Investigate for yourself. And if one really is just speaking from their imprints, then one should directly contemplate: Why am I doing that? Did I see ever the earth from the perspectives I have been showed? 

Start questioning. Start to practice science yourself. Be critical, and openminded to others who dare challenge such things as a ball or flat earth. 

However it doesn't mean it MUST be flat after all. Or it must be as shown as a ball like NASA has been showing. Whatever it is, just seek further, pushing the envelope.

Edited by Aware

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOBDIoLi3C4 Ahayah Ashar Ahayah, chant and be free!

And what's your idea @Aware ? I must say that I have to investigate more the arguments of flat earth supporters.

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

I like the pear shape theory.

:P

pear-shaped-globe.jpg

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?

8 minutes ago, abrakamowse said:

And what's your idea @Aware ? I must say that I have to investigate more the arguments of flat earth supporters.

Well its more the point that we constantly belief something so quickly. Even when it is actually flat. Then there will be another model of the flat earth that might be false, and we belief everything about that. Can you see my point?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOBDIoLi3C4 Ahayah Ashar Ahayah, chant and be free!

4 minutes ago, Aware said:

Well its more the point that we constantly belief something so quickly. Even when it is actually flat. Then there will be another model of the flat earth that might be false, and we belief everything about that. Can you see my point?

I got you... I really didn't want to participate because I really don't know the arguments of the flat earth supporters.

And it happened to me several times that I dismissed books to read because I considered them too crazy, and now I am reading them.

Lol

2 hours ago, Aware said:

At 6:50 I took a screenshot of the video and put it in paint.
The orange line is a perfectly straight line.

Roundornot.jpg

Can you bite your own teeth?  --  “What a caterpillar calls the end of the world we call a butterfly.

In the video, the border of the earth changes constantly. Sometimes you see it straight in some other times it looks curved.

And sometimes it looks curved in the inverse way... like concave

Just now, Aware said:

@WaveInTheOcean  Yes but isn't that the wobble of the lens? Because I saw that a few times as well.

You can even see the roundness of the Earth in the thumbnail pic of the video.

Well - A flat-earther will of course say it's the lens.

And if a guy with a master degree in optical physics come and describes how no lens could produce such extreme degree of roundness, then that guy would be labeled as part of the hoax by the "flat-earthers".

No matter which scientific argument you come up with to a flat-earther, I'm sure they'll come up with a "creative idea" to crush the argument.

Can you bite your own teeth?  --  “What a caterpillar calls the end of the world we call a butterfly.

@WaveInTheOcean  Nah, I am not yet convinced in either real package of belief. Although I fairly belief that NASA did not tell the truth, I don't actually mean to say I belief everything a flat earther will tell is true.

Someone said: What if NASA is just wrong, the earth might be a ball, but they lied about the size of it all and its speed. I did find this one a very good one.

So in sense that it would be much bigger as that we have been taught.

Edited by Aware

@Aware

But, why would NASA lie about the size and the speed of it? What do they get out of it?

Besides that - the size of the Earth was figured out even before NASA existed.

flat-earth.jpg

If the Earth is flat, then why do almost every stone we find on the beach have a roundish shape?

Also if the Earth is flat, how will a flat-earther explain the shadow of a half-moon to be curved?

moon-shadow-sue-stefanowicz.jpg 

Everyone can go and take a picture of the half-moon and they will observe a curved shadow.

http://www.smarterthanthat.com/astronomy/top-10-ways-to-know-the-earth-is-not-flat/ 

For over 2000 years ago, there were no NASA.... And Aristotle at that time was convinced that the Earth was round based on his own observations. 

Now, is history also part of the hoax and Aristotle was just created by the big corps/governments?...

"Aristotle

Round Earth umbra during the August 2008 lunar eclipse

Aristotle (384–322 BC) was Plato's prize student and "the mind of the school". Aristotle observed "there are stars seen in Egypt and [...] Cyprus which are not seen in the northerly regions." Since this could only happen on a curved surface, he too believed Earth was a sphere "of no great size, for otherwise the effect of so slight a change of place would not be quickly apparent."

Aristotle provided physical and observational arguments supporting the idea of a spherical Earth:

Every portion of the Earth tends toward the centre until by compression and convergence they form a sphere.

Travelers going south see southern constellations rise higher above the horizon; and

The shadow of Earth on the Moon during a lunar eclipse is round.

The concepts of symmetry, equilibrium and cyclic repetition permeated Aristotle's work. In his Meteorology he divided the world into five climatic zones: two temperate areas separated by a torrid zone near the equator, and two cold inhospitable regions, "one near our upper or northern pole and the other near the ... southern pole," both impenetrable and girdled with ice. Although no humans could survive in the frigid zones, inhabitants in the southern temperate regions could exist.

Hellenistic astronomy

Eratosthenes

Eratosthenes, a Greek astronomer from Hellenistic Libya, estimated Earth's circumference around 240 BC. He had heard that in Syene the Sun was directly overhead at the summer solstice whereas in Alexandria it still cast a shadow. Using the differing angles the shadows made as the basis of his trigonometric calculations he estimated a circumference of around 250,000 stades. The length of a 'stade' is not precisely known, but Eratosthenes's figure only has an error of around five to fifteen percent. Eratosthenes used rough estimates and round numbers, but depending on the length of the stadion, his result is within a margin of between 2% and 20% of the actual meridional circumference, 40,008 kilometres (24,860 mi)."

And Aware, how can you come around proof 4 in this video? timelink: